4K Events Discussion Thread

I’m not sure if it’s my newly-setup Denon or the DD5.1 audio feed from Dish but my surround channels sounds hotter than the front & center channels, especially during commercials. But the commentators are getting drowned-out by the crowd noise during the actual gameplay. I didn’t observe this during the earlier SD State vs. Utah State game.

This is on 540-04, and it doesn’t appear to be any better on 540-01.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
The Iowa/Michigan game looks terrible in HDR on 540-04. I am now watching on my Roku. 1000% better

I also ended up watching the game on my Roku 4. Even though my Roku does not have HDR capability the colors are bright and match the colors on the Fox OTA channel and the resolution is 4K.
Dish 540-04 looks horrible due to the over saturated colors. The player’s faces look reddish.
Dish 540-01 has muted colors. I would be satisfied with Dish 540-01 if I had not seen the brighter colors on OTA Fox 28 or my Fox Sports on my Roku.
The Fox Sports app on my Sony TV does not seem as clear and I think it may only be 1080i. Unfortunate I can’t check the resolution since the Fox Sports app on my Sony TV stops whenever I try to display the resolution.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I found that I could change my LG OLED’s HDR Picture Setting to “Technicolor Expert” and the over-saturation of colors is much better.
1638676728712.jpeg1638676783063.jpeg

The Iowa/Michigan game looks terrible in HDR on 540-04. I am now watching on my Roku. 1000% better
It was a really good 1080P up-converted to 4K, but it still just 1080P.

I dream of the day that Traditional Channels provide real 4K/ HDR content for everyday content, I just do not think it will ever happen.

Watched via the app.

Reactions: c-spand
I’m not sure if it’s my newly-setup Denon or the DD5.1 audio feed from Dish but my surround channels sounds hotter than the front & center channels, especially during commercials. But the commentators are getting drowned-out by the crowd noise During the actual gameplay. I didn’t observe this during the earlier SD State vs. Utah State game.

This is on 540-04, and it doesn’t appear to be any better on 540-01.
I have a Yamaha 5200 pre-pro and it has a really nice feature on it called AI that really makes regular DD shine, I had music only coming out of my Atmos speakers, commentators confined to the Center, game noise from the Fronts and crowd noise from the rear sides.

Turned off the AI and the sound became largely Rear Driven and the Fronts became lower volume, switched it back and was quite happy with the AI, best I ever ever heard a Football Game on TV.

Reactions: c-spand and Foxbat
Does anyone here have a LG C1 OLED TV and Dish 4k (Hopper 3)

The C1 recent models have a problem with HDCP.
And would not play any 4k via HDMI.

LG did a software update that fixes this problem.

It did fix the problem for bluray players and streaming boxes.

But if you try and play Dish's 540-01 channel (NON HDR) it will not allow 4k viewing. Instead only will down convert to HD.

Anyone else having this problem after updating C1 software on the tv.

I also tried a 540-04 HDR Olympics recording and it plays just fine on the C1 (after software update).

But the NON HDR Dish 4k channel live or recorded will not show in 4k.

I also checked Youtube TV streaming NON HDR 4k and no problem playing.

Oddly same Dish 540-01 will play fine on Sony OLED and a cheap 4k LED tv.

Not sure how to get this resolved.
As Dish is stripping off HDR this must require some special software code from LG to make TV work with Dish 4k NON HDR.

Just curious if anyone here has this issue from late model C1's production dates of Sept. through Dec. 2021. Earlier in the year models do not have issues. LG changed something in their production in later date.

bjf

How long this year has Dish offered 4k HDR versions of football on 540-04. Is the HDR for NFL games only or college games too?

Nothing is ever in my guide for the 540-04 channel since the Olympics. I do have a 4k test pattern and surround sound test that loops 24/7 on the 540-04 channel.

bjf

How long this year has Dish offered 4k HDR versions of football on 540-04. Is the HDR for NFL games only or college games too?

Nothing is ever in my guide for the 540-04 channel since the Olympics. I do have a 4k test pattern and surround sound test that loops 24/7 on the 540-04 channel.

bjf
It just started last week, NFL and college. It is in a test phase and that is why it is not listed in the guide. Last nights NFL game looked much better. I think they have it down now. We might see something in the guide next week.

There is a channel update for the Chiefs at Chargers game. It will be televised on channel 540-02 and will be 4K/HDR. It doesn’t appear to be on channel 540-01 at all any more.

They are showing some test footage of the Oklahoma St vs Iowa St game on -04 right now and it looks very good.

I agree. The picture and colors look great. It looks like Dish has finally got it right. I am curious if customers can view 540-02 using a 4K Joey. In the past 4K Joeys could not view HDR broadcasts such as the Olympics.

I agree. The picture and colors look great. It looks like Dish has finally got it right. I am curious if customers can view 540-02 using a 4K Joey. In the past 4K Joeys could not view HDR broadcasts such as the Olympics.
I just tested that on my 4K Joey. Unfortunately neither HDR channel, -02 or -04, is in the guide. I foresee some issue there because the game doesn’t appear to be on -01 so 4K Joey users will lose the game in 4K. I know the 4K Joey has the capability to show HDR as witnessed with the Amazon Prime app.