4K Events Discussion Thread

Anyone know why my guide only shows channels 540-01 and -03 (but not 540-02)? As a result the only 4K content as this moment is “off air” because the football game is on 540-02.

Are you using a 4K Joey?
Yep. Paired to a Hopper 3. The hopper 3 is connected to a 4K TV (without hdr) and the 4K Joey is connected to a 4K TV with hdr.

The TV on the hopper 3 shows all four 4K stations but refused to play the football game or the Olympics (on the other channel). The 4K Joey guide only shows the two Channels that are off air. Trying to manual tune to channel 54002 with the remote results in an error.

In short, not able to see the game in 4k on either tv with either box.

And, dishanywhere (with 4K WiFi device plugged into other 4K tv) shows the game in 4K channel but will not play it with error “Channel blocked from remote viewing.”

Strange that dish would send me an email to watch the game in 4K and then make it impossible to do so.

Not sure what the issue is with the Hopper 3 but the 4K Joey doesn’t do HDR except with the Amazon Prime app.
Ok, that probably answers it. The email today specifically said the football game would be in HDR and would not work on 4K tvs without HDR.

If the 4K Joey can’t do HDR (which I’m sure very few ppl knew when signing the dish contract), then no tv connected to a Joey (4K or not) will be able to view the football game.

And, since my hopper3 is connected to a non-HDR 4k tv, that explains why it will not play on that tv.

I also specifically asked the dish installer if dishanywhere also played 4k and he said yes. But again, that does not appear true of this evening’s football game.

And, dishanywhere (with 4K WiFi device plugged into other 4K tv) shows the game in 4K channel but will not play it with error “Channel blocked from remote viewing.”

Strange that dish would send me an email to watch the game in 4K and then make it impossible to do so.

If you have a streaming device you can log into Fox Sports using your Dish credentials and watch the game in 4K HDR. Dish really needs to replace Joey 4K units. I assume the new Joey that is in development will do 4K HDR.

The GOOD : HDR looks superb!
The BAD: I only got the 890 message coming back from HD and back to 4K HDR-only for a few seconds. It stayed 4K HDR the rest of the way.
The UGLY: 4K HDR only on the Hopper 3. The Joey 4K was a no-go despite my 4K TV settings showing the 4K HDR activity(ON). The Joey 4K guide did not show the 540-02.
CONSOLATION: One of two is not a bad deal considering the 890 message was not an issue with the Hopper 3.
We need to keep the foot on the pedal until Dish eliminates every single bug out of this mess.

If you have a streaming device you can log into Fox Sports using your Dish credentials and watch the game in 4K HDR. Dish really needs to replace Joey 4K units. I assume the new Joey that is in development will do 4K HDR.
Excellent (game just ended but will give this a shot for the next one). Fingers crossed!

Ok, that probably answers it. The email today specifically said the football game would be in HDR and would not work on 4K tvs without HDR.

If the 4K Joey can’t do HDR (which I’m sure very few ppl knew when signing the dish contract), then no tv connected to a Joey (4K or not) will be able to view the football game.

And, since my hopper3 is connected to a non-HDR 4k tv, that explains why it will not play on that tv.

I also specifically asked the dish installer if dishanywhere also played 4k and he said yes. But again, that does not appear true of this evening’s football game.
As to the game on any Joey, go to your local Fox station to watch it. It will not be 4K but is is available just as your email stated.

Wonder if they can enhance the 4K Joey to handle HDR? Otherwise, this is going to be painful not having access to those channels. At a minimum, they should just convert the 4K HDR broadcasts to 4K SDR and put on another channel (IMHO).....

Wonder if they can enhance the 4K Joey to handle HDR? Otherwise, this is going to be painful not having access to those channels. At a minimum, they should just convert the 4K HDR broadcasts to 4K SDR and put on another channel (IMHO).....
If you have that 4K Joey connected to a 4K television going to your local Fox channel is going to get up-converted by the television to near 4K anyway. It's better than nothing. But I agree, getting that 4K Joey to do HDR would be great.

Reactions: charlesrshell