4K mini and HR44...Your take

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
I watch most of my tv on my 70 4k Sony Bedroom.
I have my HR44 hooked up to it. My office (in house) has a 55'' Sony 4k Mini hooked up.

Would you keep the HR44 which wont play 4k or switch out to 4k mini and put
HR 44 on my third non 4k tv.

Dilemma is this. The 4k minis are much slower than the HR44(changing channels is painfully slow).
Or do i keep Hr44 on main tv and hold off until HR54 comes in??

Id love to see 4k on main Tv but Mini 4k might test my nerves?

The 4K Mini (C61K) is really just a RVU emulator and functions (and acts) just like the RVU client built into many TV sets.

Depends on how bad you want 4K. Since its all VOD you might want to hold off... but if you want it now then the speed will be an issue if you use the 4K Mini or RVU.

Reactions: lern4483
I'm glad this subject came up. I'm using a Samsung RVU UHTV with an HR44. They're both in the same room. I was going to get a C61K so I could move the HR44 to another room. If the C61K is as slow as my RVU function in my tv, I would think the C61K is a useless product. I've really been disappointed with DirecTV's so called entry into 4K. But I keep waiting.

Reactions: lern4483
I watch most of my tv on my 70 4k Sony Bedroom.
I have my HR44 hooked up to it. My office (in house) has a 55'' Sony 4k Mini hooked up.

Would you keep the HR44 which wont play 4k or switch out to 4k mini and put
HR 44 on my third non 4k tv.

Dilemma is this. The 4k minis are much slower than the HR44(changing channels is painfully slow).
Or do i keep Hr44 on main tv and hold off until HR54 comes in??

Id love to see 4k on main Tv but Mini 4k might test my nerves?
FYI the HR54 will not make things any faster...

FYI the HR54 will not make things any faster...

The HR54 will be just like the HR44 speed wise plus it ''will'' play 4k content.
Strange is the the HR44 just received a software upgrade. I was told it will play 4k.
Turns out it will not. Have no idea what software upgrade was for?

No the HR54 will NOT play 4K content. It can receive and pass through 4K content to to your RVU client or C61K. It itself will not output 4K to your TV.

The HR54 will be able to process the signals from DIRECTV 15 and also process the bonded transponders. But again it wont play 4K to your 4K TV itself.

http://iamanedgecutter.com/docs/HR54-500_Edgecutter_Review.pdf

That's bizarre because I had a mastec Direc service guy say without doubt that the HR54 will stream 4K content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So from what your saying Scott
It does exact the same thing an HR44. So an upgrade would be a waste of time

So from what your saying Scott
It does exact the same thing an HR44. So an upgrade would be a waste of time
Yes it would... Again the difference is it can handle the reverse DBS transponders of DIRECTV 15 (which will still require a new LNB) and also process the 4K bonded transponders (which is why its a SWM7 instead of 5 on the sticker) :)

I was about to post the same responses as Scott. Except most of the HR54s have SWM5 not SWM7 on the sticker.
The HR54 does not have the decoding logic necessary to deliver 4K, you will still need a C61K.

Thanks again for answer.
It makes no sense to me why Direc would not make the HR54
4K accessible?
The mini 4K is sluggish at best.
Not the best experience.

It's just a step on the road. If you look at the size of the C61K, you can see a fully-compatible Genie would be pretty big. The HR54 has (is rumored to have) two capabilities to support new DirecTv technology. Ability to handle bonded transponders to give extra bandwidth (one assumes for 4K) and support for the new "R" LNBs. No doubt as more linear 4K becomes available ( do we need to point out again there is NO linear 4K right now) we will see an "HR64" that will support the 4K interface without the need for the C61.

I'll tell your you the 4K coming from mini in my office is stunning.
Changing channels takes 5 to 8 seconds.
Only downfall.
The rest is fast.

Question is
Could you stand the 5 to 8 second
Channel change for the sake of
4K?
The severe slowness of channel
Change bothers me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)