Wanting Direct TV at Campground

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Powerslave

Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Ohio
Hello,
I'm new here. I had Direct TV installed in my home in June. We have a whole home DVR and 3 wireless Genies,
I have a camper that we go to nearly every weekend. It's in a remote area where the reception of over the air TV isn't good. One of the other campers has Direct TV and he said he uses his home account and just pays for the extra box at his camper. My genie boxes don't appear to have a tuner. What will I need to get hooked up at my campground?
Thanks

at minimum, you will need a slimline dish, a SWiM3 LNB, a power inserter, and your main genie box. if you don't feel like lugging your genie box back and forth, you will have to get another receiver of some sort.

the genie does not have the software that helps you tune the dish, so you will likely need some help pointing your dish in the right direction. from there you go from your LNB, to the red terminal (to SWM) side of the power inserter, then the orange side (to IRD) goes to your genie, and from the genie use whatever video cable you need to the TV.

you can call D* to have this done, but they will consider it an upgrade and since you're so new, will probably charge you ~$100 or more to do it. otherwise your on your own for getting all these items and the dish pointed properly.

I definitely don't want to bring my home dvr with me every time I go to the camper. What device would you suggest?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Powerslave!

An H25 would probably be the easiest, especially if you were to ever use it in your home setup.

What's your home zip code, and the zip code of your camp location?
FYI, The SatGo will only receive SD channels......but it's a really simple solution if SD is all you want.
Warning though, if you are in an area where SD locals come from the 119 sat, the SatGo won't receive them, which is why I asked for the zip code info...

OP,
Get yourself a HR24 added to your home set up .... very easy to work with.
Pick up a SWM3 dish with Power Inserter, take the SWM dish to the campground with the PI and the HR24.
Hook this set up up at the campground and your good to go. :)

Get the same dish and you can move the HR24 from campground to home and back and won't have any re configuring to work from place to place.

Thank you to everyone for the advice. Need to do some research on the terminology. I read tonight that if I buy an "owned" receiver, I wouldn't have to pay monthly fees for the box. Just a one time $20 fee for an access card. Is this something I should consider or should I just get the receiver from Direct TV?

You have to pay a monthly fee regardless of whether you own it or lease it.

The advantage to Owning would be you can turn it off and on at any time on the account.
That said, IF your gonna use it at home when not camping, it's a non issue.

The advantage to Owning would be you can turn it off and on at any time on the account. Without having to send back the box
That said, IF your gonna use it at home when not camping, it's a non issue.
there, fixed it for ya!

Thank you everyone for all of the tips. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I picked up a dish, LNB, and power inserter for $25. Going to try to set it up at home and run it to my dvr. Then if it works well, I'll buy another box for the camper.

By the way, the guy I bought the dish from said I should use standard RG6 cable for all installation. Sound right?
Thanks

RG59 is useful for a jump rope. thats about it. if possible, get solid copper 3.0 GHz RG6, the copper clad steel stuff *will* lead to problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)