Wanting Direct TV at Campground

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unless the run between the power inserter and the dish is more than 100ft, you don't really need solid copper core, regular copper clad steel is fine. And it won't lead to problems....

The used Slimline I got came with the SWM LNB, and power inserter.
I temporarily mounted the dish bracket to a piece of plywood, made sure the vertical pipe was plumb, and mounted the dish with the settings for elevation and tilt that were on it.
I tried it in my backyard with my home DVR (H44). After rotating the dish a little I had a great signal and was watching tv in my garage.
My camper has a cable input on the back and must have a splitter in the wall somewhere
Do I have to have a SWM splitter like the one I have at home?
I'm going to buy a H25 receiver for the camper.

Yes, you have to use a swm splitter if you use one at all.

The used Slimline I got came with the SWM LNB, and power inserter.
I temporarily mounted the dish bracket to a piece of plywood, made sure the vertical pipe was plumb, and mounted the dish with the settings for elevation and tilt that were on it.
I tried it in my backyard with my home DVR (H44). After rotating the dish a little I had a great signal and was watching tv in my garage.
My camper has a cable input on the back and must have a splitter in the wall somewhere
Do I have to have a SWM splitter like the one I have at home?
I'm going to buy a H25 receiver for the camper.
The H25 requires a SWM set up ... you only need the splitter if your using more than 1 recvr in the camper, don't forget, you WILL need the Power Inserter regardless with the H25.

Not if you pay attention to distances.
My point exactly. The only difference between SCC and CCS RG6 is there is less power loss with SCC, which is why the DirecTV "standard" for the run between the power inserter and the dish is SCC, because then the installer does not have to think, just follow the rules. But for reasonable distances, CCS is fine. And if it's not, just use the 29v PI instead of the 21v PI.

Reactions: raoul5788
I have everything hooked up at campground. For some reason I only get 480p resolution. Am I tuned to the wrong satellite? I'm using the AR app for Android and can see a bunch of DTV satellites.

Hello,
I'm new here. I had Direct TV installed in my home in June. We have a whole home DVR and 3 wireless Genies,
I have a camper that we go to nearly every weekend. It's in a remote area where the reception of over the air TV isn't good. One of the other campers has Direct TV and he said he uses his home account and just pays for the extra box at his camper. My genie boxes don't appear to have a tuner. What will I need to get hooked up at my campground?
Thanks
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just stay home and watch the travel channel?I though the whole purpose of going camping was to get AWAY from the TV?

I have everything hooked up at campground. For some reason I only get 480p resolution. Am I tuned to the wrong satellite? I'm using the AR app for Android and can see a bunch of DTV satellites.

What dish type have you set up in sat setup? Have you gone into the H25 menu and checkmarked 1080i as a supported resolution, and then set to view HD channels?

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just stay home and watch the travel channel?I though the whole purpose of going camping was to get AWAY from the TV?
Well you are correct in that I don't really NEED tv.....but I can't miss those Buckeyes and Browns games.

Reactions: Jimbo
What dish type have you set up in sat setup? Have you gone into the H25 menu and checkmarked 1080i as a supported resolution, and then set to view HD channels?
I haven't ordered the H25 yet. I'm using my H44 from home to make sure I'm happy with it before I buy another box. I've set the video resolution to 1080 but am only getting 480. Your last sentence said "to set to view HD channels". Is that somewhere in the settings of the receiver?

If I had to guess you are only hitting 101 and don't have the dish pointed for the HD satellites. Your box from home shouldn't magically lose HD settings.

Menu > settings > satellite> view signal strength and take a look at the 103 levels look like.

If I had to guess you are only hitting 101 and don't have the dish pointed for the HD satellites. Your box from home shouldn't magically lose HD settings.

Menu > settings > satellite> view signal strength and take a look at the 103 levels look like.
The 103 signals are much lower than the 101 signals. Does that mean I need to make a change at the dish?

The 103 signals are much lower than the 101 signals. Does that mean I need to make a change at the dish?

that is correct, the dish needs to be tuned to the 99/103 satellites to recieve the HD signals. since you have signal on the 101, thats a good start, make very very small adjustmants to either the elevation or the azimuth untill the numbers dont go any higher, then do the other one. if you try to do both at once you're going to over-correct.

What are your signal levels on 99ca/cb and 103ca/cb?

Check youtube, there are videos there that give a good explanation of how to dither.

I thought I should update this thread. I got an owned H25 receiver and it works great. I replaced the cable going to the dish and put weather proof compression f connectors on each end. I get my 1080 resolution now and didn't need to adjust the dish. I got a spare lnb and power inserter from an eBay vendor as well as a spare cable just in case. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)