4x4 Multi-Switch Problem?

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
I can't get any of the Galaxy 25 channels good on my Fortec receiver. My kids love Smile of the Child. On my Buzz receiver I am getting Smile of a Child with 75 Quality. I have done a Power Scan the Fortec picks up the channels but after the scan it doesn't pull them in with good enough quality to see them. Both receivers are hooked up to the same dish using a ZINWELL 4x4 Multi-Switch and things have worked well in the past. Could this be something as simple as a bad co-ax cable?

Shane,
I think things will return back to normal in a couple of weeks when G19 is moved in to replace G25. G25 is weak because of power management issues. Just hold on for two weeks and see if things return to normal.
Bob

There was a 1dB reduction in power levels on several transponders on Galaxy 25, but Smile of A Child should not be affected in any way.

All channels should be coming in on the Fortec Star Mercury II receiver. Perform a factory reset of the receiver then reenter the 2020 activation code. Bypass the switch and see if the receiver works properly.

Not sure how you have your system wired, but a 4x4 multi-switch will not work with the standard Glorystar single output LNBFs and provide all channels to both receivers. If you continue to use the 4x4 switch, check the switch and LNB power settings of the receiver to verify the way that it is wired to the switch.

I believe Shane has two dishes (one @ 101 and one @ 97) each with a dual LNBF, so he can watch all of the channels using a 4X4 switch.
Bob

yeah Shane has 2 separate dishes (per his signature)

Shane
I would bypass the switch and see if that solves the problem. If it does, then the switch might be going. I had a port on my 4x4 switch go bad recently

What I did was move the Buzz receiver into the living room and the Fortec in the den. So if it was a bad port on the switch or a bad co-ax cable the Fortec would work but not the Buzz. However I have the same thing. The Buzz still works, which is good because the kids can watch Smile of A Child in the living room. The Fortec still doesn't work so well. I get most of the AMC4 channels but not some of the weak ones. I don't get any of the Galaxy 25 channels at all. I don't think my dishes need to be adjusted because the Buzz receiver is pulling in some of the weak channels like SafeTV with a quality of 74.

shane

couple ?'s to help troubleshoot

-how long is the cable from the switch to the room in question?
-on the switch, is 97 hooked to the ports that the 22k is OFF or ON? I had an issue with a long cable where the receiver had issues with weaker channels on the 22k ON side....worked fine on the other satellite just fine.

Yes, Gaxaxy25 is hooked up to the 22KHz side. The length of the cable to the living room is about 25 to 30 feet and to the den is about 50 feet. So with the replacement of Galazy 25 is there a good chance the problem will go away? I was getting the G25 channels a couple of nights ago. Sometimes they come in but most of the time they don't.

I would swap the ports so that 101 is on the 22k side. Those signals are so strong an extra change in the line (sending a 22k signal) wont hurt..

Ok, I swapped the dishes and put AMC4 on the side with the 22K. I lost all the channels. So I put them back like it was and got my channels back. That was tedious too because the switch is mounted on a block wall under a rain cap.

Ultra directly to either port of the Galaxy 25 LNBF

Bypass the switch all together? The LNBF is functioning because I am getting the Galaxy 25 channels on the Buzz receiver. Isn't that a safe assumption?

Shane
When you swapped the cables (making 101 on the 22k and 97 on the 0k) you have to change the setting in the receiver ;)

G25 would be 22k OFF and 101 would be 22K ON if you swap them

Yes, the LNB setting is 10750.

Maybe another day when I am ready to scrap the skin off my knuckles I will switch them around again and that change the 22K setting on the receivers. I didn't realize there was a 22K setting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)