$5.99 "Protection Plan" - What do you get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I signed up for DirecTV in December.

My bill is showing a $5.99 Protection Plan charge. I know for sure when I signed up online, I did NOT select that option.

I'm about to tell DirecTV to take that off the bill, but thought I would ask folks in the know what you get for the $5.99, and what might happen if one was not paying the $5.99 each month.

Thanks in advance.

The protection plan covers just about everything shy of you intentionally damaging any part of your system. A normal D* service call, without the protection plan, runs in the neighborhood of $90.

The plan covers unlimited realignments (weather, bad installation, whatever)
It covers the shipping costs of replacing a defective receiver ($20 per unit without)
It covers the costs of replacement equipment such as LNB's, multiswitches, etc...

You may want to check out the DirecTV website for further information on the plan.

I guessing this is a big money maker for DirecTV, just like the warranties for appliances and cars.

Is the $72 a year worth it? I had Dish for six years, and had one LNB go out, and problems with a receiver. I had the $1.99 warranty after the first problem, and had it until Dish tripled it without my permission, to the same $5.99, then told Dish they were crazy.

I'm debating the value of the Protection Plan too. I just had an LNB go bad and they replaced the entire Slimline assembly. I had to push pretty hard to get the contractor that does the warranty work to show up. It got to the point that they sent out a supervisor at 6pm the 3rd day I had been waiting at home expecting someone. I'm thinking it might just be better to take the risk and pay for a visit from a company that I can better depend on.

I think it depends on your ability. I have a signal meter so...

- I installed my dish and will realign it if needed
- will trouble shoot my receivers and pay the $20 to have a replacement shipped if needed
- If a dish/LNB is bad, I will order one from ebay (new) for around $60-70, shipped
- will troubleshoot my own wiring and connections
- will troubleshoot the multiswitch and replace if needed ($60-120)

So for me, the $72 per year seems like a waste. I doubt I'll have a major malfunction each year requiring me to spend more than $72 each and every year.

However, if this is all foreign to you and seems like a "pain in the *ss", then the plan may pay for you.

I think it depends on your ability. I have a signal meter so...

- I installed my dish and will realign it if needed
- will trouble shoot my receivers and pay the $20 to have a replacement shipped if needed
- If a dish/LNB is bad, I will order one from ebay (new) for around $60-70, shipped
- will troubleshoot my own wiring and connections
- will troubleshoot the multiswitch and replace if needed ($60-120)

So for me, the $72 per year seems like a waste. I doubt I'll have a major malfunction each year requiring me to spend more than $72 each and every year.

However, if this is all foreign to you and seems like a "pain in the *ss", then the plan may pay for you.

Excellent post :up

This was a gray area for me. I wasn't sure what happens if you don't have the plan and you box needs to be replaced. Is it just the $20.00 shipping? If that's the case I'm dumping the plan.

I do NOT like the idea of working on my roof. But to be honest once I start doing things up there I get involved in what I'm doing and it isn't so bad (thump, thump, thud). :eek: And they really do put you in a lower priority category when you have a problem. :mad:

I guessing this is a big money maker for DirecTV, just like the warranties for appliances and cars.

Is the $72 a year worth it? I had Dish for six years, and had one LNB go out, and problems with a receiver. I had the $1.99 warranty after the first problem, and had it until Dish tripled it without my permission, to the same $5.99, then told Dish they were crazy.

Dish is crazy cause they charge their subscribers $5.99 for the Dish Protection Plan.Then when you need service it's $30. :eek:

This was a gray area for me. I wasn't sure what happens if you don't have the plan and you box needs to be replaced. Is it just the $20.00 shipping? If that's the case I'm dumping the plan. . :mad:
Its $20 for shipping but when your new receiver comes,and you activate it it starts a new commitment,Unless you have the Protection plan. Think about that too. Been there twice already. And they don't tell you that untill the day you activate the new receiver.

I don't have the technical expertise to mess with the dish on the roof, so I'm finding that it's worth the cost. Last December, I needed a realignment & DirecTv quoted 70 plus dollars for a visit -they gave me the option of signing up for the plan & reducing the charge to $14.99 for the visit. I'm keeping the protection plan until I'm more adept at working with the dish...

Its $20 for shipping but when your new receiver comes,and you activate it it starts a new commitment,Unless you have the Protection plan. Think about that too. Been there twice already. And they don't tell you that untill the day you activate the new receiver.

Is there any way around that like purchasing your own HR20 (on Ebay for example)? Would they restart the clock anyway?

As for the receivers, they come with a one year warranty during which, they don't charge you the shipping. The install is covered with a 90 day warranty. I have had D* for 5 years, and the only time someone came out was to upgrade to the DVR. If D* has the plan, they are making money off of it. As for being signed up for it, blame the installer, they try to push it during the install, and I imagine they get some type of commission or reward for doing so.

I signed up for DirecTV in December.

My bill is showing a $5.99 Protection Plan charge. I know for sure when I signed up online, I did NOT select that option.

I'm about to tell DirecTV to take that off the bill, but thought I would ask folks in the know what you get for the $5.99, and what might happen if one was not paying the $5.99 each month.

Thanks in advance.

What I get is peace of mind,I also sleep better too.;)

As for the receivers, they come with a one year warranty during which, they don't charge you the shipping. The install is covered with a 90 day warranty. I have had D* for 5 years, and the only time someone came out was to upgrade to the DVR. If D* has the plan, they are making money off of it. As for being signed up for it, blame the installer, they try to push it during the install, and I imagine they get some type of commission or reward for doing so.

Well, good grief. If this is true, I wonder why anyone would want to sign up for the protection plan on their new account. I know I did not sign up for it when I became a DirecTV customer at the end of December 2007, yet it is showing up on my bill.

I was working with a CSR supervisor, I have other issues, like the price drop of $100 on the DVR immediately after I purchased it. And the OTA is not available on the new HD DVR. She was supposed to work with me on these issues but I haven't heard back for a month or more. And the $20 monthly credit hasn't shown up yet, even after I called. And the $50 Visa card for signing up for auto pay has not been sent yet either.

I'm about ready just to cancel the whole DirecTV deal, since DirecTV can not seem to live up to it's part of the deal.

Well, good grief. If this is true, I wonder why anyone would want to sign up for the protection plan on their new account. I know I did not sign up for it when I became a DirecTV customer at the end of December 2007, yet it is showing up on my bill.

I was working with a CSR supervisor, I have other issues, like the price drop of $100 on the DVR immediately after I purchased it. And the OTA is not available on the new HD DVR. She was supposed to work with me on these issues but I haven't heard back for a month or more. And the $20 monthly credit hasn't shown up yet, even after I called. And the $50 Visa card for signing up for auto pay has not been sent yet either.

I'm about ready just to cancel the whole DirecTV deal, since DirecTV can not seem to live up to it's part of the deal.

Because realignments are covered with DirecTV's protection plan(besides alot of other things) so after 90 days.It's your $90. unless you have the protection plan.;)

Because realignments are covered with DirecTV's protection plan(besides alot of other things) so after 90 days.It's your $90. unless you have the protection plan.;)

My point was why would anyone sign up for the protection plan in the first 90 days?

And I had Dish Network, and in about seven years, never had to realign my dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts