5 LNB dish -- rumor or fact?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
bommai said:
I saw a directv installer installing a huge directv dish at a neighbor's house. It looked a lot bigger than my 18x24 triple LNB dish. I asked him what that was and he said it is for foreign programming through DirecTV. Anybody know what kind of dish that is?

It's a 36" wide dish that was round at first but now elliptical. It captures 95 and 101 satellite signals. It's about as big as E*'s SuperDISH'es.

attachment.php

Can someone post the picture here? DBSTalk still has our IP blocked here at work and I can't get around it due to the firewall.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually I am told this is a picture of an OLD prototype. Not the real deal. :(

Good. Because that is the ugliest looking thing I have ever seen.

Hard to get that monstrosity past the aesthetics committee....

hancox said:
Me too - would think it's actually:

97/103 101 110/119
If you look closely you will see that the writting acutally say 99 and not 97! The top of the nine seems to be faded and somone tried to draw back over it, probably in MSPaint but screwd the number up!

charper1 said:
As long as it remains under the legal size as stated by the FCC no HOA or "committee" can reject it. DBS companies are well aware of what the legalities are.
Ageed! But he's right, it's one fugly looking beast! :D

rockaway1836 said:
Ageed! But he's right, it's one fugly looking beast! :D

Guess you have never had a BUD? I love & use mine till this day and wish they would make a comeback no that there are way to see most of the relevant birds at once AND that they can service separate rooms at once as well too.

If I want to continue to receive my HD locals over the air like I do now, will I need to put up the new 5lnb dish? I don't want HD locals over the dish. I don't want DirecTV messing with compression on my local channels. Thanks.

Bob

OTA will NOT be affected by any of this.

Some or most of the new (non-LIL HD) will more than likely be on in new MPEG4 scheme or at least on the new birds, so you would still need the new dish anyway. Maybe Longhorn, Scott or Robert can explain it better, but moving to the new dish and MPEG4 should improve what you see now (that is the speculation). Any DirecTV LIL service PQ is still largely predicated on how and at whatever quality your affiliates deliver them to DirecTV; DirecTV only handles the re-transmission, not the origination, but if you only do locals OTA then that wont matter.

charper1 said:
OTA will NOT be affected by any of this.

Some or most of the new (non-LIL HD) will more than likely be on in new MPEG4 scheme or at least on the new birds, so you would still need the new dish anyway. Maybe Longhorn, Scott or Robert can explain it better, but moving to the new dish and MPEG4 should improve what you see now (that is the speculation). Any DirecTV LIL service PQ is still largely predicated on how and at whatever quality your affiliates deliver them to DirecTV; DirecTV only handles the re-transmission, not the origination, but if you only do locals OTA then that wont matter.

The new dish itself should improve reception during normal rain fade events. Now make note that I said it should because these dishes have never really been tested for mass video TV services. Oh and the Dish pictures that were posted by the so called contact over at DBSTalk are 100% fake. This guy just threw an extra LNB onto an existing triple LNB type dish. The new five LNB dish has all 5 LNBs in one housing. Also the dish that was posted isn't smaller but a different type of shape compared to the real dish.

LonghornXP said:
..... Oh and the Dish pictures that were posted by the so called contact over at DBSTalk are 100% fake. This guy just threw an extra LNB onto an existing triple LNB type dish. The new five LNB dish has all 5 LNBs in one housing. Also the dish that was posted isn't smaller but a different type of shape compared to the real dish.
i guess that explains why it looked thrown together like spare pipes from the junkyard! :yes Well, just to let you know, I was only passing the info on to get others input and Im glad I did because frankly I didn't like the way this thing looked. I felt like this was the Olgar (shrek) of satellite dish's! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)