5 lnb question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igzo99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Guys, any advantage or need for a 5 lnb if D* currently does not offer local HD in my area?

Guys, any advantage or need for a 5 lnb if D* currently does not offer local HD in my area?

Currently, no. However, if you can get a free install with upgrade of other equipment, you might consider it. I get higher signal levels than from my old 3LNB dish, so you might consider it for this reason. Otherwise, you could just wait.

Currently, no. However, if you can get a free install with upgrade of other equipment, you might consider it. I get higher signal levels than from my old 3LNB dish, so you might consider it for this reason. Otherwise, you could just wait.

I have to agree, do it for the signal strength! It rained here a couple of days ago and I didn't lose signal with the new dish. The signal strength stayed in the 90's.

How about HD RSN's in MPEG4? Are those up and running? Someone might live in an area that does not have HD LIL, but does have HD RSNs.

Can anyone tell me when I can get a slim line in CT. My dish is on a pole on my roof peak

Thanks

How about HD RSN's in MPEG4? Are those up and running? Someone might live in an area that does not have HD LIL, but does have HD RSNs.

From my understanding, the HD LILs have to be up and running before you get the HD RSN. I have HD LIL, but I don't have the HD RSN even though it is "available". They say it should be sometime over the next year.

Has anyone had the opposite - no HD LIL but yes HD RSN?

I have a question regarding a 5 LNB dish. This is my current setup:

Dual LNB dish; in the house I have the 2 lines connected to 4x switch with 2 lines going to an R15 in the living room and 2 lines going to a SD Samsung Tivo in the den.

I would like to replace the R15 in the LR with an HR20 and keep the SD Samsung in the den; Local HD channels are available in my area so I would need a 5 LNB dish.

My question is: Can I still just run just 2 lines from the new 5 LNB dish into the house and connect them to my existing 4x switch and get HD programming (local HD too) on the new HR20? I would rather not have to run 4 lines lines from the new dish if I do not have too. Thanks!

No. You can't use your existing switch for HD - you need to run all four lines from the dish, one to each tuner (i.e. two to any DVR). If you need to go over four lines run all four from the dish to a WB68 multiswitch (4x8, comaptible with the new satellites) and then connect your tuners to the 4x8.

No. You can't use your existing switch for HD - you need to run all four lines from the dish, one to each tuner (i.e. two to any DVR). If you need to go over four lines run all four from the dish to a WB68 multiswitch (4x8, comaptible with the new satellites) and then connect your tuners to the 4x8.

Thanks for the reply! I was afraid I would need to run all 4 cables. :( Guess I will need to bury more cable and drill more holes! Ugh! Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts