5 LNB Upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

eschu97611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
L.A. CA
Just scheduled an appointment to have the 5 lnb upgrade installed and had a quick question. The CSR mentioned that there was a 2 year commitment required in order to get the new dish and installation for "free". Our home is on the market and we anticipate moving, possibly to a rental home without DTV, in the near future.

My question is if I cancel before the 2 years are up would I really be charged the 300.00 the CSR quoted or would it be a prorated amount of some kind/no charge at all. If I would be charged the full amount or something close to it, is there any other way to avoid paying the termination penalty if I cannot continue DTV at my new home?

Appreciate the feedback before I call and cancel my install in order to avoid a 300.00 early termination fee.

I remember reading that the charge is pro-rated to the amount of time left. Also, you should be able to get out of it by handing back in the hardware. I havent been through it but I know folks have and it isnt as hard or as expensive as they lead on.

Under a lease you don't own the equipment so you have to return it or be charged the retail cost of the equipment. There is no credit for returning it. I believe it is $12.50 for each month still outstanding on the contract. If you can't honor the contract don't enter into it.

I think the rules governing refunds on broken contracts vary by state. At least for cellular service they do.

Ken

You can always move your account to your new residence, or possibly suspended it until you have a permanent location.

Why not make sure your new place has visibility to the sats. :)
And install a dish there.
Remember the FCC rules about dish installation supercede whatever the rental managers say.

jdspencer- I would rethink your process about the FCC and rental property. The rental manager has every right not to allow an Satelite dish on the house or in the property by writing it into the contract prior to a lease or month to month contract can be written. The FCC rules mainly apply to Condos, Townhouses, HOA's and the local government from stopping the placement of the antenna on a common place or owned section. As far as rental property they need the approval of the oowner.

Under a lease you don't own the equipment so you have to return it or be charged the retail cost of the equipment. There is no credit for returning it. I believe it is $12.50 for each month still outstanding on the contract. If you can't honor the contract don't enter into it.
ANd by the same token D* should price protect those under contract for the term of the agreement.

Called D* and was told initially that the termination fee would be waived due to my standing as an "A List" customer(Whatever the heck that is). Then called back later to confirm and sure enough was given the old "we don't see that mentioned in the notes for your account" reply.

Was told to proceed with the install anyway and just negotiate any termination costs at a later date if needed. Not the first time for me, and others I am sure, that a customer is told something by one CSR and something totally different when the call is made to confirm. How professional!!

Last edited:
never ever take what the csr's say as being the truth. you will never be able to talk to the same person twice. that's always the cloak they hide behind. "i don't know why he/she would have told you that mr. smith. i see no record of that mentioned in your account notes". as suggested you just have to wait for the day to come, then negotiate. one other option i've tried lately is to communicate these type of items via email. at least that way, it's in writing. summary: directv has excellent programming, but horrendous customer service.

Agreed. Just listen to this regarding the same 5lnb dish upgrade. On my first scheduled appointment, the installer arrived with the wrong work order and had to spend nearly 1 hour on the phone with his contracted local office and D* to change. After clearing up the work order he stated that the mounting service on the side of my home was not big enough for the new 30lb.+ "slimline" dish. Was told I needed a D* made "metal plate" to place behind base to mount dish properly. Fine, no problem. Rescheduled for 3 days later and the installer, even though it was on the work order failed to bring the required "metal plate." Seemed to have no clue that it was required. Another wasted visit. Spoke to a manager at the contracted local office and he said he would have to order the plate. Appointment was rescheduled for tomorrow.

3 appointments to install 1 dish. 3 partial missed days at work, as well and still no upgraded dish. Love that "professional" installation. Have rarely had problems with D* picture quality(other than HD compression) and programming service during the 7 years I have had D*. However, when it comes to the call center and installation services, there is much room for improvement.

Happy to report that I finally got my 5lnb dish upgrade installed today. The tech who showed up was very knowledgeable and new how to "adjust on the fly" when needed. Even gave me a new BBC converter which I didn't have. Can't wait for September and my chance to test the new dish out properly.

Just scheduled an appointment to have the 5 lnb upgrade installed and had a quick question. The CSR mentioned that there was a 2 year commitment required in order to get the new dish and installation for "free". Our home is on the market and we anticipate moving, possibly to a rental home without DTV, in the near future.

My question is if I cancel before the 2 years are up would I really be charged the 300.00 the CSR quoted or would it be a prorated amount of some kind/no charge at all. If I would be charged the full amount or something close to it, is there any other way to avoid paying the termination penalty if I cannot continue DTV at my new home?

Appreciate the feedback before I call and cancel my install in order to avoid a 300.00 early termination fee.

Why not check with DirecTV? But whatever they say, I'd get it in writing. Seems to me that with the movers program DirecTV has would get you past this concern, unless you move to a place where you can't locate a dish to receive DirecTV signals.

Agreed. Just listen to this regarding the same 5lnb dish upgrade. On my first scheduled appointment, the installer arrived with the wrong work order and had to spend nearly 1 hour on the phone with his contracted local office and D* to change. After clearing up the work order he stated that the mounting service on the side of my home was not big enough for the new 30lb.+ "slimline" dish. Was told I needed a D* made "metal plate" to place behind base to mount dish properly. Fine, no problem. Rescheduled for 3 days later and the installer, even though it was on the work order failed to bring the required "metal plate." Seemed to have no clue that it was required. Another wasted visit. Spoke to a manager at the contracted local office and he said he would have to order the plate. Appointment was rescheduled for tomorrow.

3 appointments to install 1 dish. 3 partial missed days at work, as well and still no upgraded dish. Love that "professional" installation. Have rarely had problems with D* picture quality(other than HD compression) and programming service during the 7 years I have had D*. However, when it comes to the call center and installation services, there is much room for improvement.

DirecTV doesn't do any installs. They are contracted out to independent contractors, just as Dish does. No difference.

Some installers are better than others. Some are actually very good. I am sympathetic to these guys. They put up with a lot, and at the end of the day, they haven't made all that much.

DirecTV doesn't do any installs. They are contracted out to independent contractors, just as Dish does. No difference.

Some installers are better than others. Some are actually very good. I am sympathetic to these guys. They put up with a lot, and at the end of the day, they haven't made all that much.

Agreed but still no excuse for shoddy customer service. That being said, got my dish. I am happy now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts