$50 Dish Grounding Inspection Fee passed by Omaha, Ne

What's your point ? I'm positive that with both E* and D* that their official policy is that their cabling be grounded too. Since only 20% of their residents have satellite, it seems to me that it would make a lot more sense to charge this same inspection fee to cable customers. Hey Omaha, do the math !!
My point is the Cable companys in my areas have properly grounded systems. Just like the Power companys do.
Satellite on the other hand, Well ,we wouldn't be having this conversation if most installs were grounded like they are supposed to be.;)

It not only the grounding they are checking, they are also going to check to make sure the total install is safe and will make sure that it can handle a wind load.

I wrote about this today in MultiChannel. :)

Not overly busy, But Busy.:)

That's good. I am tired of listening to people crap all over the Northeast.
Especially people who live here that have moved from up there..
I may live here. But this is not where I am from. NJ is still home. I just reside here.

What good is grounding if a homes electrical system is not up to snuff. As an installer I run into issues with reversed polarity on receptacles several times a year. It makes toast out of a dish receiver with their 3 prong plug. I have seen TV's feed power back through the coax that are plugged into a receptacle with reversed polarity. How about all these cheap dollar store extension cords that are used to power entire entertainment setups, they surely cannot be safe. I remember an incident from cable dawg days. It was a simple upgrade & additional outlet install. Opened up the demarc to replace splitters and ground block, unhooked cable drop from ground block so I could replace it. Customer came running out and said I don't know what you did but all the lights in the house went out and stated she smelled smoke. I hooked cable back up to ground block and lights came back on. There was other problems also. It turns there was ivy covering this side of house where meter was, somehow it managed to break loose the neutral at weather head. The only ground or neutral for the whole house was feeding back through on the cable drop. It took an electrician 2 days to find the problem, meantime it was my fault, there was also talk of filing a damage claim. That dream fizzled once the real problem was discovered. I should have been the one filing a claim for dangerous working conditions.

My point is the Cable companys in my areas have properly grounded systems. Just like the Power companys do.
Satellite on the other hand, Well ,we wouldn't be having this conversation if most installs were grounded like they are supposed to be.;)

Yes we would. Did you notice that the fat a** politician now says he wants the disk installation stability checked, so the dish does not fall on a child. Here we go with "the children". To the liberals, when all else fails, go to the "do it for the children"

GD liberal politicians will go to any lengths to increase their tax revenue.

Hemi, how do you know most dish installs are NOT grounded, and all cable installs are?

And how much are they going to pay these aeronautical engineers to go around and assess the wind stability of satellite dishes?

Or do they just transfer some fat idiot from the water department (my apologies to the water department, but you know who you are)?

Are they going to check dishes mounted on poles in concrete to assure that they do not fall on my cat or electrocute my dog when he wizzes on it?

I got it figured the inspectors would have to inspect 4.5 dishes each day just to break even on labor. You can guarantee these inspectors won't be walking to each inspection site. That means they'll need a truck. If they are going to inspect dishes that are at height (after all, a 2nd story dish has much more child-killing potential), then they'll need ladders, plenty of insurances, etc. The truck and gas will be my biggie expense. Anyone care to chime in on what an F-150 would cost to operate over the typical 8hr shift?

113,000 annual salary for two inspectors = $56,500 per inspector.

$56,500/$50 per inspection = 1,130 inspections per year per inspector

1,130 inspections/50 working weeks per year (2weeks of vacation)= 22.6 inspections per week.

22.6 inspections per week/ 5 day work week = 4.52 inspections per day

Can anyone estimate the vehicle expenses? I doubt city inspectors can do 8 inspections of any decent quality a day. (hint: here's a way to save your butts, councilmen, not economically feasible so we scrapped the idea)

This is the dumbest idea I've heard lately... and if I lived in Omaha I would be a very vocal citizen.
To me it sounds like this guy is a fan of cable, or got a nice check from Cox.

I feel bad for the apartment satellite customers... cause most of those installs aren't grounded, and a tripod probably won't pass their stupid wind-load inspection.

If you are anywhere near Omaha, I suggest you get to that meeting and let them know how you feel.

This is just great. Talk about a waste of time and effort. I started going to council meeting here because the BS that was going on. Here in PA our state legislature still has no budget plan in place and it should have been done by July 1. Both sides are looking for ways to rob the citizens of this state. It would not surprise me to see the crooks running our state come up with something like this considering Comcrap is based in Philadelphia.

Cable drops for the most are routed with power, pretty easy to ground when that is the case. For a $50.00 inspection fee if they fail it then it should be the inspectors responsibility to bring it up to their so called code. They are a bunch of donkey butts for even conceiving such an idea. It's nothing more than stealing someones hard earned money because those who collect our tax money can't manage a budget or money. Just sickening!

Every New house built requires Footers, Electric,Plumbing ,Framing,insulation. Inspections in the state of PA. This is nothing new. But a Satellite dish inspection , well thats a little fishy.

I know that those have to have permits which requires an inspection first before you started using it. I thought what they were requiring with the satellites was different, that they are requiring an inspection EVEN if it was put in place for a good while, and that if they did this same thing the electric, plumbing, etc every three years even though it was already approved before or already had been in place for years in all those homes, that there would be a LOT of angry people.

Does this mean that any new satellite installation is going to require an inspection and the $50 to be paid before it can be activated and start being used? If not then there are going to be some angry customers that are not told about this fee when signing up for service or when their system has to be taken down. Then they have to pay to have it taken down within a specified amount of time or get fined and then be left with a contract you have to pay for. What a bunch of bull.

They are thinking too small....

I propose a citywide bathtub safety inspection. Do you know how many of our children slip and fall each year in the bathtub from the lack of proper slip resistant decals? $50 for the first tub and $20 for each additional tub seems like a small amount to pay to keep our children safe. Well documented decal adhesive tests have determined an average 27.5 month useful life so this inspection should be conducted every two years. Think how this could give a boost to the slip resistant decal industry. That means more jobs and ultimately more bathtubs. Everybody wins! :D

hmmm... Christmas tree inspections, bicycle tire pressure inspections, carpal tunnel keyboard inspections, ........

I could understand the inspection fee, if the city could provide one documented case of where their inspection would have saved a life, prevented an injury, or prevented property damage...oh wait, all they want is to increase revenue.

So they devised a way to collect revenue from something they can't legally tax...and with a 3 year permit period, they are thinking long term cash cow.

Do any other low voltage inspections require a 3 year permit? Do they come out and even inspect your power meter every three years, phone interface box, or cable TV drop box?

Maybe they should be inspecting the poles that wired services are transported on. After all, a windstorm here three years ago knocked down over 100 power poles but only one satellite dish in our area blew off a house. I wonder how the phone company would feel about paying $50 per pole every three years for the city to come out and inspect them to make sure they are structurally sound.

If the power company has to pay to have each pole inspected every three years then an increase in cable, phone and power bills is a certainty. I guess those counsel members have cable and not satellite for their television service.

Hope they do not come after my security cameras and low voltage lighting I mean they do carry 12+ volts, a little less than a dish LNB. How are they going to know who had sateillte service and who doesn't? Around here there are lots of house with dishes on them but the homeowner/renter does not have satellite service or are they going to charge them 50 dollars just because there is a dish on the house? Around here where I live very few cable companies cable boxes are grounded, as a matter of fact there are lots with out the niffy cable boxes on their houses, just barrel connectors. Many phone companies lines here are not grounded also.
My dish is not ground because I feel that grounding makes it more likely to attract lightning. Besides my dish is well below roof line on my house so if lightening strikes it will most likely hit my lightening rods or trees before it hits my dish.

Yes we would. Did you notice that the fat a** politician now says he wants the disk installation stability checked, so the dish does not fall on a child. Here we go with "the children". To the liberals, when all else fails, go to the "do it for the children"

GD liberal politicians will go to any lengths to increase their tax revenue.

Hemi, how do you know most dish installs are NOT grounded, and all cable installs are?

Oh please. There exist idiots on both sides of the spectrum.

Although this is quite stupid, how many dishes have you ever seen fall? They'd be better to go and inspect everyone who has a wall-mounted TV, because there are stories of those falling.

Does this mean that any new satellite installation is going to require an inspection and the $50 to be paid before it can be activated and start being used? If not then there are going to be some angry customers that are not told about this fee when signing up for service or when their system has to be taken down. Then they have to pay to have it taken down within a specified amount of time or get fined and then be left with a contract you have to pay for. What a bunch of bull.

Wanna bet the churn rate goes way down? Also on my mind, the issue of windloading- secure mounting , I don't believe this will stop with the small dishes .

This is the sort of thing that insurance companies could look upon as a money maker also.

For a $50.00 inspection fee if they fail it then it should be the inspectors responsibility to bring it up to their so called code.
That's ridiculous... If someone has electric work done improperly and the inspector cites them, is it then the inspector's job to fix the shoddy work ? Same with plumbing work.... and roofing.... Narrow-minded thinking like yours is no better than the narrow-minded thinking that got this ordinance passed in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)