$50 Dish Grounding Inspection Fee passed by Omaha, Ne

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ever notice how these cities never decide to cut any of their spending?
You mean things like not mowing parks, i.e. baseball or soccer fields, weekly or bi-weekly ? Or dictating that drivers of city-owned vehicles no longer leave them idling for long periods of time ? Or what about asking employees to skip contractually-owed pay raises ?

You mean things like not mowing parks, i.e. baseball or soccer fields, weekly or bi-weekly ? Or dictating that drivers of city-owned vehicles no longer leave them idling for long periods of time ? Or what about asking employees to skip contractually-owed pay raises ?

Correct..They never consider cutting administrative fat though. Why is that?

Hmmmm, I see a grand opportunity to get the ~Customer~ and a qualified/licensed ~Electrician~ involved ~PRIOR~ to having any dish equipment installed. Why not make it a prerequisite to having a proper grounding solution installed at the immediate dish install location? If Omaha, NE has local legislature on the books to require an inspection fee, why not turn this part of the job over to an electrical contractor? It would accomplish several solutions...

#1 Dish installer can concentrate his efforts on the already complex job of installing the dish/equipment.

#2 Satisfy NEC requirements and protect the customers premise wiring/satellite equipment.

#3 Incorporate the proposed grounding inspection fee in the electrical contract before ~ANY~ dish install is commenced?

And most customers are going to say this is too much hassle to get or keep a satellite system if they make it that complicated and expensive.

A Hunt for Dangerous Dishes

This Article was in the Labor Day issue of the Omaha World Herald. (Open target in new window to zoom in)

Attachments

• A Hunt for Dangerous Dishes.jpg
    A Hunt for Dangerous Dishes.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
To make this right and legal

they also need to charge a $50 Cable TV and or Phone Connection inspection fee.

My Cox Cable is not grounded correctly today.

This Article was in the Labor Day issue of the Omaha World Herald. (Open target in new window to zoom in)
:up :D He makes some good points about trying to collect from empty homes. Thanks for posting that.

If Omaha, NE has local legislature on the books to require an inspection fee, why not turn this part of the job over to an electrical contractor?
In many jurisdictions, conventional electricians aren't certified to do satellite equipment. Some even run screaming at the prospect of working with DC.

Hall, nope I am not an electrician. I am gainfully employed in the electric industry though! ;)

Stargazer, If customer see the extra expense to getting product delivered, then the satellite industry has some re-figuring to do to get costs competitive. That's all I have to say about this.

I am well aware a licensed/qualified electrician's ability to install a ground termination to support electrical equipment per NEC code. Satellite equipment grounding requirements definitely fall in the scope of an electricians capabilities. A properly trained Dish installer would make an adequate grounding solution for these dish install requirements, but it seems there are shortcuts being administered, either because of cost, convenience, etc... not solely the responsibility of the installer himself/herself.

I hope you all know what the ultimate purpose of grounding serves? Yup... ~SAFETY~!

Remember what your Mom & Dad warned all of us when we were growing up? Be careful around electricity!

Best Regards

Hall, nope I am not an electrician. I am gainfully employed in the electric industry though! ;)

Stargazer, If customer see the extra expense to getting product delivered, then the satellite industry has some re-figuring to do to get costs competitive. That's all I have to say about this...

I certainly hope so.

Here is what customers already get when they call Dish/Dish retailer to setup their service:

DISH Network Professional Installation

Here's what you get with free Dish Network professional installation:

- Your satellite dish is properly mounted and aimed.
- Your system is grounded for lightning and electrical protection.
- All your cables are properly routed through all your house walls.
- Your receiver is installed and connected to a phone outlet.
- Your installer will show you how to operate your satellite TV system.

Note: If you require anything other than standard installation, such as the relocation of telephone jacks, extra wiring, or special hardware, you will be required to pay for those services and components at the time of installation. Be sure to ask your installer about any additional installation requirements prior to installation.

Looks like they don't need to pay a fee, unless they are stupid enough to believe what some cable company backed politician is telling them.

Looks like they don't need to pay a fee, unless they are stupid enough to believe what some cable company backed politician is telling them.
If installers (professional and otherwise) were a lot more diligent as a whole, this argument might hold water. As it is, the incidence of proper mounting and grounding isn't as high as it should be.

If installers (professional and otherwise) were a lot more diligent as a whole, this argument might hold water. As it is, the incidence of proper mounting and grounding isn't as high as it should be.

Yep..there's lots of crap installs and crap installers out there.
This is what happens when self policing is not done. The government steps in and suddenly money starts disappearing.

I certainly hope so.

Here is what customers already get when they call Dish/Dish retailer to setup their service:

DISH Network Professional Installation

Here's what you get with free Dish Network professional installation:

- Your satellite dish is properly mounted and aimed.
- Your system is grounded for lightning and electrical protection.
- All your cables are properly routed through all your house walls.
- Your receiver is installed and connected to a phone outlet.
- Your installer will show you how to operate your satellite TV system.

Note: If you require anything other than standard installation, such as the relocation of telephone jacks, extra wiring, or special hardware, you will be required to pay for those services and components at the time of installation. Be sure to ask your installer about any additional installation requirements prior to installation.

I am reading the back of the Dish Network Service agreement form. Some of the items in your post do not exist.
Such as: There is NO requirement to install or otherwise connect a reciver to a phone jack. Dish asks us to connect to any phone jack within 25 feet of the receiver location.

Stargazer, If customer see the extra expense to getting product delivered, then the satellite industry has some re-figuring to do to get costs competitive. That's all I have to say about this.

I am well aware a licensed/qualified electrician's ability to install a ground termination to support electrical equipment per NEC code. Satellite equipment grounding requirements definitely fall in the scope of an electricians capabilities. A properly trained Dish installer would make an adequate grounding solution for these dish install requirements, but it seems there are shortcuts being administered, either because of cost, convenience, etc... not solely the responsibility of the installer himself/herself.

I hope you all know what the ultimate purpose of grounding serves? Yup... ~SAFETY~!

Remember what your Mom & Dad warned all of us when we were growing up? Be careful around electricity!

Best Regards
In most states even low voltage such as satellite is required to be installed by a state licensed electrical contractor, so needing a separate one is pointless.

Just an FYI to everyone, the author of that newspaper article gives personal replies. Pretty nice to get feedback, sure wasn't expecting it.

But on the other hand, the incidence of improper mounting and grounding hurting anyone is about what, nil? And even if it weren't, why the hell is it the government's business? The government isn't paying for your insurance.

But on the other hand, the incidence of improper mounting and grounding hurting anyone is about what, nil? And even if it weren't, why the hell is it the government's business? The government isn't paying for your insurance.
nanny state liberalism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)