522 without harddrive functions

tlbrewer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
The hard drive on my 522 gave up the ghost the other day. Since I own the unit, I was contemplating replacing the drive myself. I came across a thread where it mentioned unplugging the unit, disconnecting the drive, plugging the unit back in to let the system recognize the driveless unit and the unplugging and reconnecting the drive and plugging the unit back in. It was supposed to force the unit to reinitialize the drive. It did not work for me. Upon reareading the posting, it was for a 721, I believe.

While I was doing this, I noticed that with the ribbon cable disconnected, I was able to watch programming on both tuners, albeit without any of the DVR function.

Oh, I did call customer service, and due to a quirk in how they are billing me on my second receiver, lease fee instead of addl receiver, I was able to get a free replacement by adding the 5.99 DHPP.

A co-worker's 522 HDD died on him and as you discovered, the box still functions perfectly well as a tuner. Makes the "urgency" of getting it fixed or replaced slightly less... Yeah, you've got no DVR functionality, but you've still got "TV".

jkohnman said:
Oh my.. "TV" without a DVR for me anymore is no good. I cannot take the ads at all any more.
Trust me, we've got a DVR and can't imagine ever NOT having one. Hell, my 4-year old loves it. She'll pause a show she's watching to go to the bathroom or rewind a funny part. I don't know if I should be proud of her or ashamed (couch potato ??).

hall said:
Trust me, we've got a DVR and can't imagine ever NOT having one. Hell, my 4-year old loves it. She'll pause a show she's watching to go to the bathroom or rewind a funny part. I don't know if I should be proud of her or ashamed (couch potato ??).

proud, without a doubt :up :up :)

so if you did want to replace or upgrade the hard drive what do you do to install it i have 2-7200's and a 501 and a 508. i understand how to remove it but how to get the reciver to accept it.

There are very few drives on the 522 "approved" list. If you have one of those (i.e. Maxtor 4R120L0 or 4R160L0, there are others) just replace the drive. The 522 will initialize it and you'll be back in business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)