54.1 Versus 54.3 Remote Controls

All of the 54 remotes are identical in functionality. The microphone button shows a microphone on the 54.1 remote while the 54.3 remote shows the Google logo on the microphone button. But they all function the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks

Am I correct in assuming that for my upcoming installation of a Hopper 3 and Joey 3 the remote will not have a "slide" area? I don't particularly care but my wife hated the remote she got with her Apple TV. I had to purchase a "normal" remote from Amazon for her, an "old folks" remote. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Looking at the picture of the Google version remote the edges/sides look to be rough or rubberized. Did they make it so it doesn’t slip off furniture etc?

I purchased rubberized skins for my non-Google remote because it is so slippery.
B8CBD21A-0E3F-4BEE-B5DE-19CE0C4AFEEB.png

Reactions: charlesrshell
Looking at the picture of the Google version remote the edges/sides look to be rough or rubberized. Did they make it so it doesn’t slip off furniture etc?

I purchased rubberized skins for my non-Google remote because it is so slippery.
View attachment 159924
Those "bumps" you see on the left side are buttons, not a rubberized finish. Some folks, me included, find those ill placed buttons annoyingly easy to accidentally press.

While we are talking about the 54 remotes that BarnRat will be getting, I want to add that the 54 remotes are a bit unusual with a lack of certain buttons and the use of multi use buttons. If BarnRat's wife had difficulty with these he can purchase a 40 remote that will work just fine with the Hopper/Joey for $20 from Dish. They can be found on Mydish.com Perhaps the installer might have a few of them on his truck...

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 8.04.25 AM.png

While we are talking about the 54 remotes that BarnRat will be getting, I want to add that the 54 remotes are a bit unusual with a lack of certain buttons and the use of multi use buttons. If BarnRat's wife had difficulty with these he can purchase a 40 remote that will work just fine with the Hopper/Joey for $20 from Dish. They can be found on Mydish.com Perhaps the installer might have a few of them on his truck...

View attachment 159928
The 40.0 remains my remote of choice. I hate those multi use buttons.

I want to add that the 40 remote works perfectly with the Hopper/Joey 3 but not so well with a Hopper that has a Hopper + attached or a Joey 4. If Barnrat is smart he will not add those items to his household even if the upgrade is free. There are just too many anomalies with them at this time and for a new Hopper user and it could cloud the experience.

I don't understand why pressing a button for an extra second is harder than searching for a completely different button.
What I hate are those input buttons being so poorly located on the side
Once you know where those buttons are you don't have to search for them. My big thing that I like about the 40 over the 54 remotes are the color buttons. I use them continuously. As a fair disclosure I actually use a Harmony remote most of the time and it has the color buttons as well.

I don't understand why pressing a button for an extra second is harder than searching for a completely different button.
  1. Many of us didn't have a clue at first what long-pressing a button is supposed to accomplish.
  2. I had the old layout so well memorized that I could find the right button in the dark.

What I hate are those input buttons being so poorly located on the side
HipKat, did you know a two second press and release on the 54.0 series remote control for the Hopper Plus and Joey 4s takes you direct to the Diagnostics screen? Sure makes it quicker to do remote control re-boots.

Reactions: BarnRat