56 Day Delay for New Titles at Blockbuster(and Netflix/Redbox also)

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
A new deal between Time Warner’s movie studio and Netflix, Redbox and Blockbuster will double the “window” for new releases. That means the services will now have to wait 56 days after the discs first go on sale to offer them to their customers, instead of 28 days.

Warner was the first studio to start the 28 day delay, then the other studios followed, now Warner is the first studio to start the 56 day delay and I would bet the other studios will follow since they think it increases sales on discs and PPV.

Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Others Wait Longer For Discs - Peter Kafka - Media - AllThingsD

I don't see how Netflix, Redbox, and Blockbuster are pretending we're stupid. The studios are the ones pushing this.

Has anyone from Dish or Blockbuster confirmed this? Reason for asking is I read in one artical that it only impacted Blockbuster kisok's and not the stores. Dish/Blockbuster doesn't own the kisok Blockbuster's, I believe that NCR owns them.

Thought this was in place already with blockbuster. It takes that long to get a new release anyway.
blockbuster always got movies to rent the same day they came out for purchase on BR/DVD

all this will do is increase the number of people who look for torrents of the movie on line, instead of waiting to rent them. IMO.

As with the music industry, they are resistive to change, so they come up with these ever more drastic moves in a vain attempt to get more DVD/BluRay sales. They could go the other way and offer sales of movies for more reasonable prices either with media or as downloads, but just like the music industry, they'll only do it when literally forced to.

Another way they might consider is to make more good movies! I know, radical idea huh? :)

It is a shame when some of the best movies are just rehashes of previous ones, and of course, the quality of them is all over the board too. I often have to laugh when you see a preview, and then later when you see the movie, you find that the preview had the only good parts of the movie.

The studios are pushing this to make you order it from ppv or buy the dvd or bluray so they can make more money.
Yup...Never mind the fact that PPV prices are ridiculous. The last time I paid $5.99 (or $6.99) for a movie rental was during the Clinton administration.

Because PPVs are supposed to be compared to going to the movies, hence the phrase 'DirecTV Cinema'

The line between rental and PPV has been too closely blurred, so people look at them as comparable rather than comparing it to the cost of taking the family to go see a movie. If they can reestablish the windows... In Theaters / Available for Purchase or PPV / Rental - then the PPV pricing will look much more reasonable because the comparisons have better perspective.

meStevo said:
Because PPVs are supposed to be compared to going to the movies, hence the phrase 'DirecTV Cinema'

The line between rental and PPV has been too closely blurred, so people look at them as comparable rather than comparing it to the cost of taking the family to go see a movie. If they can reestablish the windows... In Theaters / Available for Purchase or PPV / Rental - then the PPV pricing will look much more reasonable because the comparisons have better perspective.

Sorry, but that makes zero sense. PPV/ purchase are options available months after theatrical release. It's not reasonable to try to price then as if they are a viable alternative to movie going. The reality os they are more like rentals than going to a theater. This 56 day window is all about studio greed and trying to squeeze consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hmm that is strange due when I had Blockbuster in the past I never had a issue getting new titles when they came out on Tuesdays. NetFlix has always delayed their movies but I know when I was on Blockbuster before Dish bought them they never delayed anything. This is why for now I use Zune with my X-Box they never get delayed there heck sometimes they are out a week ahead like Moneyball was..

But it still looks like that BlockBuster still get more of the New Titles that come out on Tuesdays. Where Red Box and mainly NetFlix does not plus with Netflix if I'm not mistaken they have agreements with 5 of the 7 studios to delay things so they are the worse. But looking at Blockbuster site they still get most of the new titles when that come out every Tuesday...

Poke said:
But it still looks like that BlockBuster still get more of the New Titles that come out on Tuesdays. Where Red Box and mainly NetFlix does not plus with Netflix if I'm not mistaken they have agreements with 5 of the 7 studios to delay things so they are the worse. But looking at Blockbuster site they still get most of the new titles when that come out every Tuesday...

the studios see services like the rent all you want by mail for one lpw price as cutting into their bottom line. they want you to buy the blursy or dvd or just order it on ppv. it makes them more money and that's why they don't play ball with netflix,redbox,bb you name it. when you said that you nevor had problems befor with it was befor movie studios saw this as a emerging threat. netflix is at odds with hbo and are buying the hbo shows elsewhere