5g plans

Juan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
So far discussion has been on cost of 5g phones...looks like the real sticker shock will be on 5g phone plans....sorry cant cut and past but according to this article the average family plan will go from $180 to $320

How Much 5G Could Cost Users

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Good thing I have one of those behind-the-curve phones and pay-as-I-go. $35/mo. "Unlimited" Text and Data (throttled after 5 GB cap).

Family Plans don't work for Empty Nesters and single-child Families. Something tells me that won't change under 5G Plans…

Reactions: TheKrell
Look into T-Mobile ‘s 55+ Plan. I got that for my wife and I, and a prepaid for her mother, and pay an extra $10 option and STILL pay less than half what I paid the Death Star.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Given that this mythological 5G unicorn will take years and years to deploy, there's no point in even discussing it now.

Verizon Wireless, has pretty much stopped deploying their so called 5G for the time being, in the tiny sections of the four markets they launched service in this past Fall. This isn't like LTE upgrades where an existing tower that covers a few square miles can be upgraded. 5G is will be reliant on macrocells that have to be installed that cover a very short distance and will need the appropriate backhaul. Will each macrocell have fiber ran to them or will it be a mesh based system? With these high frequencies that are talked about for 5G, I can't see how it will not take carriers a decade or more to have a significant portion of the country upgraded.

T-Mobile has announced that they will not charge extra for their so called 5G, but they'll say just about anything to put themselves in a positive light with their pending merger approval with Sprint, so who knows if it will hold true

T-Mobile commits to unlimited 5G rate plans

Sprint charged a $10 'Premium data fee' when they first launched Wimax in 2010. Even if you lived in an area that had no Wimax coverage (most areas didn't) you still got charged the fee if you had a 4G capable device.

5G seems like it will be initially targeted for stationary use, not mobile. My concern will smartphones have the ability to disable the 5G radio via software so that it won't be eating battery searching for a signal that isn't there. Early 4G Wimax phones on Sprint and 4G LTE phones on VZW had this ability.

T-Mobile has announced that they will not charge extra for their so called 5G, but they'll say just about anything to put themselves in a positive light with their pending merger approval with Sprint, so who knows if it will hold true
I doubt that anyone is really concerned that the combination of the two would be as good as the sum of the parts (and that's taking a bit of a dive to begin with).

I would love a combined T-Mobile/Sprint.

While their coverage and lack of coverage overlaps quite a bit, at least in my market and places I frequent, data speeds are the opposite between the two carriers. It seems like where I get 30-50 Mbps on T-Mobile I got 70-100 Mbps on Sprint. There is even an area where I got 200+ Mbps, but upstream was only 5 or 7, must have been a site testing CA on 41 as that is the only location I ever hit those speeds. Ironically that was in the parking lot of the plaza where the T-Mobile store is where I signed up for service. On T-Mobile where I get 250+ Mbps down, I'd only get 15 or 20 Mbps down on Sprint. My issue with Sprint was due to my proximity to Canada and IBEZ, they can't light up band 26 here. With T-Mobile's band 12 and now 71 I'm hoping for better rural coverage. When in eyesight of my closest tower I can get 100 x 20 on band 4, but I lose the signal about a mile from my house. Sprint is on the same tower, and I can barley get a signal in my bathroom on band 25, but I do get a signal.

My ideal combined mix would be T-Mobile's 2 and 4 and Sprint's 41 for speed and T-Mobile's 12 and 71 and Sprint's 26 for distance.

In my area, T-Mobile covers pretty much everywhere that Sprint does and then some, but combined they're both covering perhaps 70% of the land area that AT&T does (and less yet of Verizon). The signals never get above 4 of five bars. I can't use them at home and I can't use them at work without the cell spot. Even if you are covered where you live and work, there's still the times when you aren't at either that you may be out of luck. Having to go outside or drive to coverage isn't coverage.

Aside from having a lot of customers riding various promotions and/or think they're avoiding the big players, I don't see what Sprint brings to the party.

In my area, T-Mobile covers pretty much everywhere that Sprint does and then some, but combined they're both covering perhaps 70% of the land area that AT&T does (and less yet of Verizon). The signals never get above 4 of five bars. I can't use them at home and I can't use them at work without the cell spot. Even if you are covered where you live and work, there's still the times when you aren't at either that you may be out of luck. Having to go outside or drive to coverage isn't coverage.

Aside from having a lot of customers riding various promotions and/or think they're avoiding the big players, I don't see what Sprint brings to the party.
Thats easy..areas t- mobile has no service

Thats easy..areas t- mobile has no service.
Can you think of any examples where Sprint covers areas that T-Mobile doesn't?

I've noted before that one of my local Sprint stores had to take over a Radio Shack because they couldn't get service in their own store.

Can you think of any examples where Sprint covers areas that T-Mobile doesn't?

I've noted before that one of my local Sprint stores had to take over a Radio Shack because they couldn't get service in their own store.
Yes...T- mobile is in urban areas...Sprint has more rural areas

Here in Connecticut, T Mobile (which used to have Terrible coverage) now has better coverage than AT&T.

WIth my iPhone XR I activated T-Mobile while having AT&T using the ESIM feature and did a lot of testing between the two.

No matter where I went in the state in a majority of places T-Mobile had one more bar than AT&T.

The data speeds were a lot better on T-Mobile, the speeds were at least double in all places I tested. With the fastest speed I got with TMobile being 142 Mbps down and 35.6 up. (while at the same spot got 17.1 Mbps down and 20.3 up on AT&T)

There really on a hand few out there just like there is markets for 5G I know Sprint has a LG Device that will have 5G support as well as Samsung S10 which Verizon will get first. So at the moment and for most of 2019 there will not be very many markets that will have it yes there will be some of the bigger cities but more on a national scale. So by the time I upgrade again from a S10 Samsung S11 or S12 my guess all of the devices will be 5G and by then late 2020 or 2021 we will see more 5G National Wide. But at the moment its just barely moving and more prep marketing talk for future devices and new telco tech is all it is for now. It will take them several years to get 5G really going heck some carriers if not all of them just need to make sure the 4G is more reliable in some markets much less anything new. :)

There really on a hand few out there just like there is markets for 5G I know Sprint has a LG Device that will have 5G support as well as Samsung S10 which Verizon will get first. So at the moment and for most of 2019 there will not be very many markets that will have it yes there will be some of the bigger cities but more on a national scale. So by the time I upgrade again from a S10 Samsung S11 or S12 my guess all of the devices will be 5G and by then late 2020 or 2021 we will see more 5G National Wide. But at the moment its just barely moving and more prep marketing talk for future devices and new telco tech is all it is for now. It will take them several years to get 5G really going heck some carriers if not all of them just need to make sure the 4G is more reliable in some markets much less anything new. :)
Since they are charging 2k for a 5g phone...5g for phones isn't much of a priority...if they wanted people on 5g the phones would be much much cheaper

Since they are charging 2k for a 5g phone...5g for phones isn't much of a priority...if they wanted people on 5g the phones would be much much cheaper

Yeah in a year or two it will be more across all devices but overall it has little to do with the user experience of the devices that will always depend on the OS and it's features plus other hardware specs.. :)

The data speeds were a lot better on T-Mobile, the speeds were at least double in all places I tested. With the fastest speed I got with TMobile being 142 Mbps down and 35.6 up. (while at the same spot got 17.1 Mbps down and 20.3 up on AT&T)

142? Not sure I would know what to do with something so 'slow' :D

4657681449.png

Reactions: Foxbat
Sprint brings frequency bands to the merger.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Most Sprint bands, maybe all, are supported today and in limited use. Sprint never had the funds to fully deploy. The new T-Mobile can use 5G technologies on them to maximize value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)