Status
Please reply by conversation.

mots-a

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
howdy gang -

I live in Maryland 20832.

NOTE: (both dish's are on the back side of my roof - the back of my house face's south. The 5LNB is at the peak of my roof the 4 lnb is 3 feet streight line below the 5LNB. Both are at the most eastern side of the house.)

I have 2 dtv dish's on my roof - 1st one is the 5 lnb big dish with 1 cable run to it for my hd tv channels and locals, this cable has one splitter in it, this dish is at the peak of my roof with a very good view of the sky and is hooked up to a H20 box.

The 2nd dish is a 4 lnb dish I installed myself this dish has all 4 lnb's hooked up. 2 lnb's are for my dvr box (samsung) that is sitting under my h20 box in my living room. the other 2 lnb's on this 4 lnb dish are hooked to old rca box's, one in the basement the other in a bedroom these two have about 150 foot of cable run to them and all 4 of these connections have a splitter in them.

The 2 dish's are about 3 feet apart.
The 4 LNB seems by my eye to have a slight obstruction from a tree about 30 yards away. this 4 lnb is replacing an older 4 lnb dish that was mounted lower on my roof and only gave me a 67 signal.

My H20 on the 5LNB gives me a max signal of 74

My Old RCA's with around 150 foot cable run gives me 98 to 95 signal from the 4LNB dish also my DVR (Samsung) with about a 75 foot cable gives me 94 & 98 signal.

why is it that the bigger dish with a better view of the sky gets a worse signal?

I switched the 1 cable from my DVR to my H20 box (doing the dish set up for 3 lnb) and the 4LNB pulls a 96-90 signal.

so is the 5lnb a temporary arial? or is it the set top box's the blame for the diffrent signal's?

Last edited:
H20s will read ~20 points lower than other D* receivers, this is normal, it is only a flaw in the way it calculates signal.

No this is not normal. The dumb engineers couldnt design a box that would give same signal as other hundreed boxes directv ever produced. So we have confused suctomers.
But yes in terms of signal quality your H20 is good. Max I ever get on it is 80.
The rule your should go by is simple: if you getting good picture and no problems - dont worry about signal and other parameters on your receiver

tech007 said:
No this is not normal. The dumb engineers couldnt design a box that would give same signal as other hundreed boxes directv ever produced. So we have confused suctomers.
But yes in terms of signal quality your H20 is good. Max I ever get on it is 80.

It _is_ normal for the H20, show me one H20 that does not read ~20 points lower.

BTW, I know I'm not a dumb engineer, but, you can edit a post to correct errors without posting a second post. :)

What info is there to show its a design or engineer error, as opposed to a accidental faulty coding from the chip manufacturer? Please post some facts.

also with the 5lnb dish, the max amount of cable runs that dtv wants you to have is around 75 ft whereas the other dish has an average of cable runs of 150ft

Teronzhul said:
yeah, obviously he means a 3lnb with the built in 4 port switch.

yes its a 3 lnb dish with a 4 port switch not a 4 lnb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help-Installer needed in SE WI

Battlestar Galactica in HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts