5lnb dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Ok my first post. What a great site. I have the old single lnb dish on a chimney mount. I am getting the new 5lnb dish and want to mount it on a pole. I have an unobstructed view of south and southwest sky. I will put the pole up and run the wires myself. Just so I have this correct I will need a 2”OD sch 40 pipe and rg-6 wire for the runs. Correct? Also I will only have two receivers one will be an hd/dvr and the other a standard box. I need to run two cables to my hd/dvr and one to my standard box right?

That is correct sir. I would go on and run the 4th line from the dish to your house if you intend to bury everything, so you don't have to later, so if at some point you wanted to add more rooms it would already be there.

Well I found a piece of pipe at a fence place. It is 12' long. I think this should be fine. I will have 4 feet in the ground with 8' above. Does this seem long enough? What is everybody else using?

We usually use 8' poles but if you're going to sink it in the ground that far you should be fine. Just make sure you concrete it. Me personally I might shorten it a couple feet, whichever you'd be more comfortable with. ^^

I'm in michigan. I will sink 42" for frost line. Should I do this.

I'm in michigan. I will sink 42" for frost line. Should I do this.

48" would be better. Here is a picture of my install. It's a 12' pole 42" deep.

Attachments

• DishonPole.JPG
    DishonPole.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 326
We're told as techs, to dig down between 30" and 36", no less than that. More won't hurt, if you are going to use a 12 footer I would maybe go down a little more to help stabilize it. As a rule I try to dig down 1/3 the length of the pole.

And the Azimuth/Elevation assembly slips over the top of the pole. ^^

Nice pic there too Raoul ^^

Ok I called around and found 2"OD sch40 at a local fence company. When I got back I messured the pipe and it was only 1 7/8" OD. Will this still work? I called them back and they said they don't make 2"OD in sch40. Wonder why they told me they did over the phone:mad: I hope this will still work when the dish installer comes out.

Twelve foot will be a problem...........brace it or shorten it..............make it possible to service from the ground............put a clamp around the pole where it contacts the concrete to keep it from rotating in the concrete............use conduit where the cable goes through the concrete and where up it comes up at the building to protect from weed eaters & mowers..............make sure the pole is "plumb".

Joe

Ok I called around and found 2"OD sch40 at a local fence company. When I got back I messured the pipe and it was only 1 7/8" OD. Will this still work? I called them back and they said they don't make 2"OD in sch40. Wonder why they told me they did over the phone:mad: I hope this will still work when the dish installer comes out.

He means THEY don't have that, not that it is not made at all. 2"od galv sch40 is plumbing, irrigation/sprinkler type, not thin-wall fence stuff. You can get it online as well.

No he said you can't get 2'OD in sch40 at all. I don't believe him of course. Will the 1 7/8 I got work?

See if he has like an 18 guage ( or a little thicker) 2" OD galvanized post about 8' to 10' tall. Roughly what we use. Same stuff they use chainlink fenceposts. This may be considered thinwall which from reading seems like most people dont like but it does work.

1 and 7/8 CAN be used but it's a pain in the ass because the Az/El collar won't tighten onto it without being shimmed somehow, or drilling self-tapping metal screws through the collar and pole to keep the dish from turning.

Last edited:
No he said you can't get 2'OD in sch40 at all. I don't believe him of course. Will the 1 7/8 I got work?

Anything can be made (forced) to work, but save yourself the downstream headaches and get the right gear to do the job right once; pay once upfront.

Well I called and called and called. Nobody in my area seams to have 2"OD sch40. I called fence, elec and plumbing stores will no success:( I am just going to use the 1 7/8 sch40 and put a self tapping screw threw the mount as this has worked well for others with no problems. I wish direct tv would would make it a more popular size. Oh well.

One other question is when I installed my old dish the rg-6 cable had a grounding wire piggy backed on it. Is this still required. I was just going to pick up some cable at home depot.
Also is there a maximum height the pole can be?

Last edited:
Are you planning on doing the entire install yourself? I would THINK that if you were a brand-new customer, the installation would be FREE. And speaking from a technicians standpoint, most HSP's/DMA's probably carry the 2" pole standard on their vans. I would think if you were to do most of the cable runs and dig the hole (36" is sufficient), the technician would be MORE than happy!! And depending on his/her regulations, the "messenger" wire that was attached to your other dish, is probably mandatory... and depending on who you ask, might be better for your system, as this is what "grounds" your satellite dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts