6.3 remote buttons hard to push.

nodsirrah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I have 4-6.3 remotes, 2 of them require a lot of pressure on the buttons in order to use and it happens on almost all the buttons. It seems to be age related, both the remote and the person pushing the buttons.....
Can the remotes be opened up and the button pressure changed by cleaning or something?

I have 4-6.3 remotes, 2 of them require a lot of pressure on the buttons in order to use and it happens on almost all the buttons. It seems to be age related, both the remote and the person pushing the buttons.....
Can the remotes be opened up and the button pressure changed by cleaning or something?
Open up the battery compartment and remove the screw at the bottom. Remove the tab. Use a screw driver to pry apart. Take off the rubber button pad. Clean it and the circuit board underneath it with rubbing alcohol. WARNING: You will nick up the edges with your screwdriver.

Thanks KAB, nice to know it can be done without serious damage.
I did what you suggested and now my 2 remotes work with very little pressure.

Last edited:

Let’s keep this 2yr old thread going!

I was all ready to start a new one until the website advised me of this one. It is definitely currently topical in my mind. I was grateful to have the information, and followed along with good results. I thought I would give an update on my experience. This is for a remote for a 622/722, and I worked on three of them.

When removing the top I used a butter knife to open the remote (you will be trying to release the tabs that hold the two halves together), and have these observations: To start, pry apart the top and bottom halves a little bit at the bottom with another tool just enough to insert a knife from the side into the separation you created. When you have control of the separation of the two halves, insert the knife and slide it upwards towards the top of the remote, keeping pressure into the slot you created. You need to press inward to release the tabs that hold the top and bottom together. Keep some pressure on the two halves trying to separate them as you go. The first tab is roughly between the 7 key and the * key, and the next tab is between the
SWAP key and the 1 key. Once you have released the first two tabs, you will understand the process and be able to work your way upwards easily. If you are doing more than one remote, you will be able to release the tabs on the other remotes somewhat easily by sliding the knife quickly and deliberately.

The first remote I opened up was the one that I didn’t care if I buggered up a little bit, and used it a learning experience. The next one was “my” remote, the one that worked the best. I was surprised when I opened it up to find some moisture! At first I thought it was moisture, but eventually decided that it was an oily substance. I think that is was applied inside to help with conductivity. This was the oldest one (maybe they had the right idea back then). The other two were dry, and they were the ones that I got a sore thumb using. I decided to apply a
little olive oil to each of the contacts with a Q-tip, swabbing the rubber contact slightly. I eventually wiped them down a little to minimize the excess as the remote didn’t respond. I don’t know if that was the best choice of conductivity medium, but at 11:00 at night, that was available. I am sure I will eventually discover a more appropriate product.

Another thing I did while I was inside was to disable one of the keys that pissed me off the most! I have no use for the DISH key, and would hit it by accident at the most inopportune times. Possibly I may want in the future, but after pressing it by accident SOOOO many times, I was happy to place a little bit of tape over the contacts.

Thank you KAB for the directions. (I hope you are more appealing than you portrait).

Sincerely
jr

I had 8 6.3's and noticed the same thing. Gramma with bad hands really started to have problems using them. Then when one started failing, I called DISH for a replacement. During teh call I got to talking to the rep about this issue and the rep sent me a 6.4. Night and Day difference in operation and touch, the operation of the buttons. It's as if they used a different contact pad under them. And the over all operation of the UHF portion increase so much that I could use them from the back yard, we have 3 TV's outside, not to mention far better operation all over the house.

If you can try to get your hands, no pun, on a 6.4 and see if you don't get the same results I have. I even set back two 21.0's that they sent me to try out for 6.4's and do not regret it.

Good Luck!
. . . sf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts