60 bucks for HD locals dish!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I gladly pay for upgrades. We could always be like cable subs, everything is free but you are using 5 yr old dvr's with 160gigs of storage space and 5yr old software.

Heck I remember selling RCA Directv systems for $600 for a single LNB and $900 for dual LNB and then having the customer pay someone $200 to install it. Oh, BTW you still had to buy another box with the dual LNB. Do any of you actually pay for a cell phone or do you take the new every two program and get a free one.

I asked for a new dish to be installed so I could get the HD locals for Huntsville, AL at 61.5. They told me that i have to commit for 24 more months to get this for free!!!! This is ridiculous! Is there no way around it?

you'd be surprised at the effect the word "no" has on a salesperson. I had the same conversation with the tech line. they said I would have to commit to so long a deal, and such. I then said "well...if I have to do all that? I'm happy with my SD locals". I was then put on hold for about 45 seconds, and the guy came back, and said it would be free.

honey will get you nothing at dish. be a bit of a jerk, and they will give yoyu a lot more than they would if you're nice to them.

I did the 24 month commitment and got the dish for free.

I was already in month 6 of an 18 month contract. The CSR said it would really mean extending my commitment by 6 months because they run concurrently.

Installation is set for Saturday May 3 from 8 -12noon.

Also, the CSR said only WHNT-HD CBS, WAFF-HD NBC, and WZDX-HD FOX were presently avialable. She did not say why WAAY-HD ABC was not.

I got dish about 3 months ago where they told me the HD locals would "just come on". Well the time is here and they didn't just come on. When I called them, they said it was 100 bucks to get the installation for HD locals. Needless to say I am saddened by this news.

---------------------

I called back and someone else gave me the additional dish for free, just had to add 4 months or so on to my contract!

Last edited:
I too called 2 different people at Dish about upgrading to HD locals which just started broadcasting in the Greenville, SC area. Both said I would have to pay a $59.95 charge for another dish (I have the Dish 1000) to see the satellite at 61.5 or commit to a 24-month contract extension. I am 15 mos. into my 18 mo. commitment.

While I appreciate equipment installers need to make a living and I don't expect 'everything' for free, I am not getting everything for free today.

I subscribe to local channels.
I subscribe to HD channels now and they come in on 129.
I am paying over $1000/year today for Dish broadcasting.
An external antenna is not feasible for my location.
I am not receiving the HD channels I am paying for.

The fact Dish needs to broadcast local HD on 61.5 is not my problem.
I can just as easily switch to DirectTV , which I switched from to Dish
which promised local channels in my area last year. The conversion
back to Direct will actually cost a little less than I am paying now.

Since Dish is unable to provide the programming I want with the
equipment they installed, when they knew I was switching to them
primarily for HD local programming, I think its time I look elsewhere
for my needs.

I think some people just want something for nothing. If you are that person, cable is your thing.

I decided to add a little more.

I just had dish reinstalled, got a 1000.2, vip722, pole, cable and diplexers for FREE. Also got the first month FREE. You think im gonna bitch because I have to now pay$60 (2 mo's later) for a locals dish. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I too called 2 different people at Dish about upgrading to HD locals which just started broadcasting in the Greenville, SC area. Both said I would have to pay a $59.95 charge for another dish (I have the Dish 1000) to see the satellite at 61.5 or commit to a 24-month contract extension. I am 15 mos. into my 18 mo. commitment.

While I appreciate equipment installers need to make a living and I don't expect 'everything' for free, I am not getting everything for free today.

equipment they installed, when they knew I was switching to them primarily for HD local programming, I think its time I look elsewhere
for my needs.

Dish has to make business decisions based on the entire subscriber base and not just you or any one individual.

On the other hand, You can make your "business" decision based on your own individual wants and needs concerning your TV service.

I don't blame you or anyone, though, for not wanting to pay $60 or commit to another 24 months.

Some people it bothers, some it don't.

"To each is own", I guess.

At what point did everything have to be FREEEEEEEEE???????
Come on. Cough up the cash or the committment. We "installers,techs, and dealers" have to make a living too. We need to pay bills,food,GAS etc.
yep..can't agree more. Some customers havwe this strange notion in their heads that because it's tv they should get everything for free. I love this one.." Well I pay () dollars a per month, why should I have to pay for anything else. They forget that we need to eat as as they do. I have had customers tell me that MY boss should pay me. I tell them that my boss doesn't have service at your home.
To think because someone owns a business they own a money tree. Put that shoe on the other foot and it's "oh no, I can't do that. It would cost me too much money"...What a crock.
Evertime I see one of these " I want this or that for free" threads I want to throw up

Last edited:

equipment they installed, when they knew I was switching to them
primarily for HD local programming, I think its time I look elsewhere
for my needs.
so you show understanding but you still don't think you should pay. In other words screw the techs, right?
Keep it up.. Soon you'll have $12 per hour hacks doing all the work and then what?.....
Just pay the damned 60 bucks. Or go to D*...We don't care... you'll be signing to a two year deal with Directv anyway. Oh, you'll be back...Then you'll be signing up for two years anyway.

Last edited:
LOL funny.. a customer complaints about paying 60 dllrs for a piece of equipment that costs more, also well the company pays for fuel, pays the tech.. thats WHY they ask for a commitment.. to protect their INVESTMENT. When I worked for these guys, that would always explain that. Contracts are not to keep them from cancelling, its to recover PART of what we invested in a customer.

Dish doesnt make money off new subscribers, its the existing ones that dont have contracts or the ones that have been with dish for a long time that give profit.

If you are complaining for that.. then just cancel and go to cable.. how hard is it? or go to dtv and get a 2 year commit?

you'd be surprised at the effect the word "no" has on a salesperson. I had the same conversation with the tech line. they said I would have to commit to so long a deal, and such. I then said "well...if I have to do all that? I'm happy with my SD locals". I was then put on hold for about 45 seconds, and the guy came back, and said it would be free.

honey will get you nothing at dish. be a bit of a jerk, and they will give yoyu a lot more than they would if you're nice to them.

No it called customer push back. Every customer want everything for free. I know of no ther compnay besides Dish right now that gives you so much equipment for so little. just imagine what goes into a VIP 722 receiver and you could gett hat for free right now.

Oh and just an FYI.. the "SALES" department does NOT get this order.. and NO REPS get commission.. so they could care less if you want it or not .. as far as a rep level. I can say that as i was a rep with them before, :/ so no rep will get hurt in any way if you say no..

At my new job.. yes it hurts when they say no because I dont get commission lol

Why do people expect things for free from Sat companies? Because that is the business model they have established. Same one cell phone companies use. You get certain equipment for "free" with a long term commitment and eventually they hit the break even point with you and begin to earn a profit from your business.

Sats companies have to do this to compete with cable who do new installs for "free" with a minimal of equipment needed.

You can argue the merits of cable vs sat but free goes a long way in the average consumers initial decision to subscribe to a service.

This is this the same "free" equipment that all NEW subscribers will be getting in about a month from now when Dish rolls out the Eastern Arc project.

Wait until that starts and then watch all the complaining about existing customers getting hit up for $60 for the wing dish.

And why do the installers care about this? If Dish chooses to give away the wing dish for free or even $60 (but still taking a loss on the equipment) you still get paid the same to install it by Dish right?.

What about your HD locals over the air? I have antennas in my attic and get both my HD locals and HD locals from a neighboring city. I do at times miss the channels not being in the guide but I live.

I agreed to a 24 month comm.to get a wing dishso I could get Jackson,Ms.locals in HD.But when the installer came,he said I would have to upgrade up to a 1000.2 from a 1000.Which would cost 149.00 plus the install fee.:(

I agreed to a 24 month comm.to get a wing dishso I could get Jackson,Ms.locals in HD.But when the installer came,he said I would have to upgrade up to a 1000.2 from a 1000.Which would cost 149.00 plus the install fee.:(

Call dish and see if you can receive ALL of your HD channels off the 61.5??

If so, you could keep your current Dish 1000 and tie the 61.5 dish into the DPP Twin LNB without upgrading to a Dish 1000.2.

You would lose the 129 sat but that wouldn't matter if indeed all your HD channels are carried on the 61.5.

Oh.. well at least you guys got it made!! For tmobile my cell phone provider.. everytime I CHANGE rate plans.. they up my contract :/ and Its just a "programming change"

:/ bohoo!

I'm not one to say everything should be free. BUT the email I just got from Dish says:

"As a dishHDTM customer, all you have to do is give us a call at 1-888-290-3270 to get your FREE HD upgrade and start experiencing your favorite network programming as well as your hometown's news, sports and weather broadcasts in the great HD quality that you have grown to love!"

Later it says:

"All you have to do is call us today at 1-888-290-3270 to receive your FREE dish HD upgrade so you can start enjoying your local channels in HD today."

No where in the entire email or small print is there anything about $60, a two year commitment, or anything else like that. So no, not everything has to be free -- but neither should Dish advertise something as free with no caveats then spring those on you when you call.

If you are out of your contract just tell them you are going to switch to Direct. I bet they will install for "free" then rather than lose a customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)