$60 to add HD to my programming??

rjousuf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
I just talked to dish about upgrading my old reciever to a HD 622 or 722 and he told me it will cost me extra $60 a month just to get HD programming. i am already paying $120 for international programming(Southasian) and I dont need to suscribe to american channels(top 100) but he said i have to get them in order to qulify for HD package. All i want to do is get the HD package and a newer DVR reciver inplace of my aging 1000. I was hopping to pay around $30 ($20 for HD package, 6 for leasing the reciver, 5 for dvr fee)extra on top of my $120. I dont need to add another $30 worth of programming just to get HD. My bill would be close to $180 instead of $150. This is stupid. Do anyone here have any luck getting just the HD package without adding any american channels and only having international programming?
thanks

That is how it works now. You pay $20 to watch the HD version of SD channels you subdcribe to, plus HDnet & Voom. They will not give you an HD version of a channel you do not subscribe to in an AT package.

Things have changed whereas if you want international programming you need to have at least AT100, maybe family package, but I'm leaning towards AT100. Upgrading to HD will change the rules of the game.

I don't see how your paying $120 for south asian, granted I don't know the actual cost, but I still can't compute $120 for that.

So I am paying $120 for only about 30 channels including locals and still have to suscribe to At 100 and other people only pay $30 for 100 channels and get better deal then me? It is bad enough they are charging $15 for each international channel, now they are stacking me with programming i dont even wanna watch. This is how my $120 totals up....

ARY DIGITAL 14.99
B4U, & ZEE GOLD 0.00
GEO TV/PTV 24.99
PHOENIX AZ LOCALS 5.99
QTV 7.99
S.ASIAN MEGA PACK INCLUDES ZEE TV, TV ASIA, SET, 54.99
15+55+25+6+8+11(2 receivers)=$120 monthly...

Them's the rules. AT100 is the minimum requirement for having HD. Perhaps because of your record with Dish ceo can make an exception, but doubtful.

AT100 or Family Plan is the minimum for HD subscription. I already emailed ceo@echostar.com and they told me that they will modify this page on their site:

DISH Network -- Dish HD

It now says: Add great HD programming to any America's Top package for an additional $20/month!

It used to say: Add great HD programming to any package.

This is what they said:

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have contacted the Web Page Administrator regarding this issue and been advised that correction of this statement is already underway. The reason for the HD Programming availability only in American programming is based on contractual obligations with programming providers who require the packaging of HD programming with other channels they provide. This prevents us from picking and choosing channels to provide in certain packages."

Edit: That's correct. Family plan is not eligible for the HD package.

Last edited:
Correct. Only AT 100, AT100 Plus, AT200, AT250 and America's Everything Pack are eligible for HD Pack.

HOWEVER--
It used to be that Local channels, Showtime, Cinemax, HBO, and Starz HD only require the $6 HD enabling fee along with the appropriate SD package equivilant. I am not certain if this is still the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts