600 FTA Channels! - BSC621-2 LNBF/Mercury II

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bill190

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
After doing a bit of tree cutting down and adding satellites to the list in my Mercury II receiver (need two of each satellite listed, one for C and one for Ku), I power scanned every satellite my dish can see (58 W to 139W). I did not scan any circular polarity sats.

I got over 600 FTA channels!

My set-up...
Fortec Mercury II receiver.
VBox II diseqc to 36 volt dish positioner controller.
12 ft. C/Ku wire mesh dish with 36 in. 36 volt dish actuator/positioner.
BSC621-2 C/Ku LNBF

...and still nothing to watch . . .

People wonder why this is such a popular and addictive hobby...

Good job!
We may have to change your nickname to PowerScannerBill :rolleyes:

Say, a little off-topic, but how is that BSC621 working out on Ku for ya?
Compared to some smaller Ku-only dishes (I assume you have some)

...how is that BSC621 working out on Ku for ya?
Compared to some smaller Ku-only dishes (I assume you have some)

My BSC621-2 is the key to all this and is working fantastic. And this is why I posted this, because there finally is a product to get C and Ku all on the same dish and work with an FTA receiver as is (along with the VBox).

No mess, no fuss! Click on a channel and it moves the dish for you be it C or Ku.

I get better Ku signal readings on my big 12 ft. wire mesh dish than I do with a 76 cm Ku dish I have and a 1 meter dish I have. Basically the signal levels are consistent with the db specifications of each dish. A little higher db for a little larger dish = a little higher signal reading, etc.

Basically I have learned the bigger the dish, the better.

thanks for the info bro beacuse im doing the same thing in the next few days. i m gettting the same lmbf ,6ft dish ,and a choice of a merc,classic na and ariza extreme oh yah triax 1500.lol.a little of topic as well are their many c-band channels on g10r?.:up

:(
My BSC621-2 is the key to all this and is working fantastic. And this is why I posted this, because there finally is a product to get C and Ku all on the same dish and work with an FTA receiver as is (along with the VBox).

No mess, no fuss! Click on a channel and it moves the dish for you be it C or Ku.

I get better Ku signal readings on my big 12 ft. wire mesh dish than I do with a 76 cm Ku dish I have and a 1 meter dish I have. Basically the signal levels are consistent with the db specifications of each dish. A little higher db for a little larger dish = a little higher signal reading, etc.

Basically I have learned the bigger the dish, the better.
thanks PowerScannerBill .lol.:rolleyes:

what is VBox? im a total newbie when it comes to total fta.lol.:(

never mind i googled it :
pixel_trans.gif
VBox is used to position your C band dish. It takes DiSEqC 1.2 commands from your MPEG2 DVB satellite receiver and converts it into 36V pulse and sensor to store positions - can store 99 Positions. It can work as a stand alone positioner or it can accept DiSEqC 1.2 commands from a satellite receiver. Motor. Controls and displays position. Remote control Included.

still a little in the dark doe it control the dish ?i never seen 1 before ,im a total newbie.

Last edited:
My BSC621-2 is the key to all this and is working fantastic.
. . .
I get better Ku signal readings on my big 12 ft. wire mesh dish than I do with a 76 cm Ku dish I have and a 1 meter dish I have.
Basically the signal levels are consistent with the db specifications of each dish.
A little higher db for a little larger dish = a little higher signal reading, etc.
I've been reading posts for the last year, of so many people getting discouraging results on Ku with those LNBs.
A number of problems have come to light.
Most seem to revolve around user error or poor install.
Glad to see someone has the Midas touch.
...and reasonable expectations.
A 12 foot dish has so much sail area, you'd certainly expect good results.
We'll have to find you a 6..8 foot dish and see if you can repeat the miracle. :cool:
Anyway, congrats on a job well done!

600 channels?! I really DO need to locate a nice C-band dish :) Are you getting The Tube on AMC-3 87w? Congrats on the setup, Bill!

AMC1, there is also a high definition FTA channel on G-10R that is very desirable, the Outdoor Channel 2 HD :)

We'll have to find you a 6..8 foot dish and see if you can repeat the miracle.
Anyway, congrats on a job well done!

I have a 7 1/2 fter and getting pretty good results with the bsc621
when i fix my other big dish i hope to put another one of these on :)

...Are you getting The Tube on AMC-3 87w?...

Yes I get this channel 80% signal and 50% quality with it being cloudy today and I'm located in Oregon.

Note I got my 12 ft. C/Ku wire mesh dish used for $150.00 from a local sat dealer. He was glad to get rid of it!

The Tube, as you've probably already found out, is a great music video channel reminiscent of early MTV back in the '80s. We used to get it on G-10R Ku, along with the Equity programming, until it was replaced by Retrojams. Now Retrojams is (just about) gone :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)