6000 no picture for dish HD channels

pcbelize

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Hi, I've got a 6000 that has worked without much problem for about a year now. But the other night I lost the picture on dish HD channels. I've got no problem with my local digitals in HD, but all of the dish channels (9420-9424) have only sound.

Has anyone run into this problem before? I've tried the usual tricks of restarting and re-inserting the card. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nope

mikew said:
Was your smart card upgraded to the new Yellow card?
No. But it did happen right when dish started offering the free hd programming...

Thats your problem then. You need the new yellow smart card to get the HD channels as of Sept 1 the blue cards no longer work. You need to call dish. They should have sent you the new one.

Cyclone said:
Sounds like your 8PSK module is acting up. How are your SD channels?
Everything other than the Dish HD channels is coming in fine.

Thanks to all...

I had previously called dish about this problem without much luck. But once I told them about the yellow card the light seemed to go on.

They are shipping me the yellow card, hopefully that will fix it. I'll let you know if that does the trick.

Thank again for advise.

The only channels that use the 8PSK module are the Dish HDTV channels. If you have a 61.5 dish, do you still get the HD Demo channel ok?

I just called Dish today regarding my loss of picture on the HD channels and the first thing they had me check was the color of the smart card. Mine was blue. A new yellow card is on the way. Guess I got the right tech the first time.

Question: Does anyone know if the same card swap is needed for the 721s as mine has a blue card? Unit is working fine.

I would expect a bad smart card to prevent any encrypted channels. The only ones he has a problem with is the 8PSK channels. I guess there is a chance that those are the only ones using Nag2 or something.

I still think my 8PSK module answer has potential, but I'll await the smart card replacement to see if that is the cause.

Grandude said:
Question: Does anyone know if the same card swap is needed for the 721s as mine has a blue card? Unit is working fine.

Not that I know for a fact, but I suspect that all channels have two encryption methods being sent out (Nagra 1 and Nagra 2). The yellow card is required to decode Nagra 2. Most likely, the Nagra 1 stream was shut off for the HD channels and the blue cards cannot decode Nagra 2. Because of the shut off, the user above was no longer able to get the HD channels with the blue card. Because all other channels still use both encryption methods, the blue card still works in all other receivers. Dish will continue with the card swap, and once they have addressed all legit subs with the blue card, they will shut off the Nagra 1 stream all together. It has been suggested by other forum members that Dish will begin not by receiver model, but by subscription levels. Users theories are that the movie channels will be the next set of channels addressed by a card swap and folks who sub to those will be the next in line. Next, they'll hit AT180, then AT120, then the final group of subs on AT60. Your 721 will work fine. Make sure that when you get your card swap upgrade, you upgrade in a timely manner.

As further proof of this theory, take a look at Lyngsat.com. If you're on a dial-up connection, this link will take a loooonnnnggggg time to load. Look at TP 7 and notice that Nagra 2 is the only encryption system used.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish110.html

Unh. Jut from the surface, doesn't it take something like twice the bandwidth to send out 2 differently encrypted streams? I gotta be wrong, or E* would want to get rid of Nagra 1 yesterday.

So, how the heck does it work? I just can't see it. I'm not asking for any hacking info - just an idea of why I'm wrong - and I've gotta be, don't I?

It was the card

Just an FYI. It was the card. I got the yellow card yesterday and as soon as I activated it the HD were back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)