61.5 down? Anyone else?

So far there is no explanation why System Info shows Yellow or Red for 61.5 or why the spotbeams take so long to lock.

Transponders 29 & 31 on 61.5 are dead. Recent software changed transponders system is checking. You didn't get it yet. That's your explanation.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Transponders 29 & 31 on 61.5 are dead. Recent software changed transponders system is checking. You didn't get it yet. That's your explanation.

I wondered if I was on the fringe area of a transponder that I really was not suppose to receive. And since it was a weak signal it displays as a problem. And my next door neighbor also had Yellow the one time I checked his system. OTOH by friend about 20 miles west of me still gets a Green 61.5, or at least he did a few months ago.

Do you know what the recent software number is that improves transponder checking?

Don't remember software no. But it checkd for 5, 7, 10 & 12 in Chicago area. 5, 7 and 12 usually come in upper 50's and 10 in mid to upper 60's on a nice day :)

Last edited:
Don't remember software no. But it checkd for 5, 7, 10 & 12 in Chicago area. 5, 7 and 12 usually come in upper 50's and 10 in mid to upper 60's on a nice day :)

Do you have the 1000.4 or the 1000.2 dish?

I just checked 5, 7, 10 & 12 on sat 72 and got SS of 58, 52, 55 & 49 respectively.

I previously took notes on several transponders when I had the 1000.4 dish & compared some of these to the new 1000.2. Sat 61.5 and transponder 18 for the locals were typically 51-52 SS and now are 49-50. IOW SS dropped a bit with the new 1000.2.

On sat 72 several transponders used to indicate anywhere from 40-50 SS and the same ones now read 48-58. IOW each one that I had checked increased 8 points with the 1000.2 dish.

The only times I recall getting a spotbeam SS was when I randomly selected a transponder without knowing if I was one that I was supposed to get. I just picked one, waited several seconds & the “Transponder” label changed to “Spotbeam”.

If I select sat 61.5 and TP 22 for example & wait it will then display Spotbeam 22 with a SS of 34.

But from what I tell all my locals are on sat 61.5 and either transponder 18 or 20.

I had presumed Martinash was referring to sat 61.5 when he mentioned 5, 7, 10 & 12. However I was just nosing around and these do display good SS on the Point Dish screen.

If my locals are on TP 18 & 20 how come I’ve receiving on 5, 7, 10, 12 and 22, 23 etc? I would think the DVR would have blocked these. Is it normal for the DVR to display SS for everything it receives even though I'm not authorized to view the contents?

How do I find which spot beams on TP 18 & 20 are used for my locals?

Use the DishChannelChart link above, and then the Dish Network Markets link and find your DMA.

Thanks -
I've looked at that before but for some reason forgot about it. Part of my question should have been how do I select the spotbeams in order to check their individual SS. Looking at the chart for 61.5 it looks like my locals are on either TP 18 spotbeam 55 or TP 20 spotbeam 55. I guess that's why no matter which local channel I tune in on TP 18 & then look at Point Dish the SS are all the same. After all they're all on the same spotbeam. Same goes for TP 20. I guess ABC's SS will always be the same as NBC's.

Part of my question should have been how do I select the spotbeams in order to check their individual SS.

You don't! You select a transponder, and it shows you the SS wherever that transponder is located. Incidentally, my locals on 61.5 also use transponders 18 and 20. But of course these come via a different spotbeam to give me my locals rather than yours. This shows how these fancy spotbeam satellites can use the same transponder over and over for different DMAs, without needing additional bandwidth.

You don't! You select a transponder, and it shows you the SS wherever that transponder is located. Incidentally, my locals on 61.5 also use transponders 18 and 20. But of course these come via a different spotbeam to give me my locals rather than yours. This shows how these fancy spotbeam satellites can use the same transponder over and over for different DMAs, without needing additional bandwidth.

What happens if 2 different spotbeams on the same transponder are used for the same DMA, or doesn't that happen?

It doesn't happen. The spots on each transponder are set such that there is no chance of overlap of the spot coverage. If you have 6 spots on one transponder, they are spread out enough geographically so that there is no overlap.

The converse is not true, however...a spot can share multiple transponders, as has been noted in this thread.

I was at my friends house, the one about 20 miles from me as mentioned in message #19. His sat 61.5 SS with a 1000.4 dish are the same as mine with a 1000.2. Yet in System Info he gets a Green indicator & I still get Yellow or Red.

Also when I check the Details it lists a lot of signal losses. On one day it said I had 23 losses which is probably causing me to get the Yellow or Red indicators. I'll get an occasional rain fade loss & maybe a very brief partial signal loss message every once in great while, but nowhere near the amount of losses it indicates. I'd like to know what weak signal(s) I'm picking up that he is not.

I was at my friends house, the one about 20 miles from me as mentioned in message #19. His sat 61.5 SS with a 1000.4 dish are the same as mine with a 1000.2. Yet in System Info he gets a Green indicator & I still get Yellow or Red.

Also when I check the Details it lists a lot of signal losses. On one day it said I had 23 losses which is probably causing me to get the Yellow or Red indicators. I'll get an occasional rain fade loss & maybe a very brief partial signal loss message every once in great while, but nowhere near the amount of losses it indicates. I'd like to know what weak signal(s) I'm picking up that he is not.
Does it show LNB drift and if so how much on those that are red & yellow. To check that it is menu: 613 let test run then look at the details.

Does it show LNB drift and if so how much on those that are red & yellow. To check that it is menu: 613 let test run then look at the details.

I’ve looked at Details several times & just did again. This time I had Yellow on the first screen for 61.5. But I'm not sure which Details data refers to LNB drift.

Tuner 1 is listed several times with data like this:
Tuner 1: 10/21/13 4:40am (12-12-11)
It’s listed 12 times with different dates & times but always followed by (12-12-11)

Then it says check your dish for obstructions, etc.
You are currently experiencing signal loss on Tuner 1:
Between 5:27am 10/21 and 11:27am 10/21 you had 3 signal losses
It lists 3 more times each with several signal losses.
And then lists 4 date/times for Tuner 2 signal losses.

Then it says
STB Health Lite
Tuner 0 as of 10/21/13 6:24am
Orbital 14 15 16 21
110 0 0 0 0
119 0 0 0 0
129 0 0 0 0

Then repeats for Tuner 1 at 6:33am and same data

Then it lists
Value 0: 0
Value 1: 0
Value 2: 0
Value 3: 1
Value 4: 1
Value 5: 0
Value 6: 0
Value 7: -2
Value 8: 1
Value 9: 0

What represents LNB drift?

I’ve looked at Details several times & just did again. This time I had Yellow on the first screen for 61.5. But I'm not sure which Details data refers to LNB drift.

Tuner 1 is listed several times with data like this:
Tuner 1: 10/21/13 4:40am (12-12-11)
It’s listed 12 times with different dates & times but always followed by (12-12-11)

Then it says check your dish for obstructions, etc.
You are currently experiencing signal loss on Tuner 1:
Between 5:27am 10/21 and 11:27am 10/21 you had 3 signal losses
It lists 3 more times each with several signal losses.
And then lists 4 date/times for Tuner 2 signal losses.

Then it says
STB Health Lite
Tuner 0 as of 10/21/13 6:24am
Orbital 14 15 16 21
110 0 0 0 0
119 0 0 0 0
129 0 0 0 0

Then repeats for Tuner 1 at 6:33am and same data

Then it lists
Value 0: 0
Value 1: 0
Value 2: 0
Value 3: 1
Value 4: 1
Value 5: 0
Value 6: 0
Value 7: -2
Value 8: 1
Value 9: 0

What represents LNB drift?

Menu 613 then the details after it runs. If there is drift it will be one page down. Before the STB Health. Also then do the Menu 611 and test (that is a chk switch). Details on that will show all LNB's if all the ports to them and the Odds & Even tps are working correctly.

Menu 613 then the details after it runs. If there is drift it will be one page down. Before the STB Health. Also then do the Menu 611 and test (that is a chk switch). Details on that will show all LNB's if all the ports to them and the Odds & Even tps are working correctly.

The info that I posted is from the Menu 613 Details screen and there is nothing mentioning drift. I'll do a Menu 611 again as I don't recall all the info that it lists.

I don't have a problem with receiving any locals. I'm just curious why I used to get a Green indicator on the Menu 613 System Info screen but not anymore. Currently my neighbor & I get Yellow (sometimes I get Red). Yet my friend 20 miles west of me still gets Green, and we both had our identical systems installed by the same tech.

The info that I posted is from the Menu 613 Details screen and there is nothing mentioning drift. I'll do a Menu 611 again as I don't recall all the info that it lists.

I don't have a problem with receiving any locals. I'm just curious why I used to get a Green indicator on the Menu 613 System Info screen but not anymore. Currently my neighbor & I get Yellow (sometimes I get Red). Yet my friend 20 miles west of me still gets Green, and we both had our identical systems installed by the same tech.

Did you say that you had the whole LNB setup changed out? Sorry don't want to reread all the thread to find out. If the whole setup has been then you may have an issue of the cabling.

Did you say that you had the whole LNB setup changed out? Sorry don't want to reread all the thread to find out. If the whole setup has been then you may have an issue of the cabling.

All new cabling was done last year.
The DVR was replaced with a new one back in May 2013.
A few weeks ago the 1000.4 dish & LNB was replaced with a new 1000.2 dish & LNB.
So far the techs have no idea why the System Info shows a signal loss on 61.5. Yet the Menu 611 screen shows good signal strength.

My next door neighbor also gets a Yellow on 61.5, but my friend 20 miles away gets all Greens, just like I used to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts