Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The following was sent to DISH Network retailer regarding the notices some customers are receiving about needing to call DISH Network for service to their DISH. These notices ARE legit...

Here is the notice below...

61.5 HD Core Migrations - Select Customers Receiving Communication

In order to streamline our business processes and launch more HD content, DISH Network will begin the migration of all HD Core, HD Premium, HD PPV, and HD VOD channels from the 61.5° orbital location to the 72.7° orbital location. However, before we can move the content, we need to move select customers who currently receive their HD programming from 61.5° to either 72.7 or 129°. This migration will essentially take place in three phases, the first of which DISH Network will be migrating customers that get their HD programming from 61.5°, their SD programming from 110°/119°, subscribe to at least one Premium programming package, and reside in a Western Arc DMA.

DISH Network is currently contacting customers within this first phase in order to redirect their antenna to the 129° orbital location. If a customer contacts you stating that they have received a communication from DISH Network regarding this migration, please refer them to 1-888-383-3727.

I guess am going to have to get up on the roof soon and point my 61.5 to 72.7. I run 61.5/110/119/129 right now for all the HD RSNs.

I am a little confused as to the phases. As I understand it, if you have a 2-dish 61.5, 110/119 setup, as do many around here, you do not receive all of the HD channels now (BBCA, FSC, etc). Being in the metro Atlanta area, they typically have no LOS to 129. But the announcement seems to indicate the 1st priority is to get people in Western Arc DMAs on 129. That will exclude a lot of people in eastern markets for now that are not getting the new HD channels.
But I would ask a point of clarification. I have seen it stated here that Atlanta is considered a dual arc dma, meaning it can get either arc installed and retain full service. So would Atlanta be considered a Phase I market for this initiative? If so, then why not allow for 1000.4 installations in addition to 110/119/129 installations are part of this effort? Chance are, if you live in the east and have a 61.5 and 110/119 setup instead of a 110/119/129 setup, it's because you have no LOS to 129.

Does anyone have a full list of which markets are western arc only, which are eastern arc only, and which are considered dual?

Finally, per the above statement, are they going to mirror all 61.5 HD content, including locals, to 72.7? I don't understand that as a long term strategy for the EA, but if that is the case, then a would a re-point of 61.5 dish to 72.7 be all that is needed for a current 61.5, 110/119 setup? That is not part of the original EA vision, though. I would think getting 99% of HD customers onto either a 110/119/129 or 61.5/72.7/77 single dish solution would be the preferred course.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be concerned about it at all, if they are going to need to move you then they will contact you. Until then keep watching TV.

The only reason I posted this thread is because I have had quite a number of people ask me if this contact was legit from DISH Network or if it was a DIRECTV dealer trying to convert DISH customers over.

I wouldn't be concerned about it at all, if they are going to need to move you then they will contact you. Until then keep watching TV.

The only reason I posted this thread is because I have had quite a number of people ask me if this contact was legit from DISH Network or if it was a DIRECTV dealer trying to convert DISH customers over.
Scott - Like I said in another thread, don't be too sure about that. I was 61.5/110/119 when I called for my switch to EA. The CSR said I'm all set, their system said I already had EA. Once I politely assured him that I didn't, I got the new dish. If I waited, I'd probably be waiting for a long time.... ;)

Scott - Like I said in another thread, don't be too sure about that. I was 61.5/110/119 when I called for my switch to EA. The CSR said I'm all set, their system said I already had EA. Once I politely assured him that I didn't, I got the new dish. If I waited, I'd probably be waiting for a long time.... ;)
They are only doeing the upgades in certain areas.

They have ways of telling what your hooked up to and will check when its your regions time to start moving.

This is just the start of the process and it is expected to take us to around this time next year before its all done.

For the people with 110/119/61.5 setups. do what i did move your 61.5 to 129. if you can hit it. if it has a low signal call them up. then they have to put you on ea.

Last edited:

I must agree. I've seen many two dish solutions, either the customer did not have LOS to 129 or there was an existing 61.5 dish. Many techs do not call and modify the work order to reflect the correct orbitals since the same programming was mirrored on 129 and 61.5. In dual arc areas the techs may switch from eastern to western arc without changing the work order.

They are only doeing the upgades in certain areas.

They have ways of telling what your hooked up to and will check when its your regions time to start moving.

This is just the start of the process and it is expected to take us to around this time next year before its all done.

They may have ways of knowing but their info is often incorredt.

So what is going to happen to the 61.5 slot? I have the 1000.4 dish that points to 61.5 also. So with the 1000.4 dish will I get new HD channels that become available soon and in the future? If dish is not going to use the 61.5 slot then it would be useless to use the 1000.4 dish that points to the 61.5. What are they going to use this bird for? I know that the current 61.5 bird has lots of problems and it is on its last leg and cound die soon.

61.5 is not going away. They are launching E15 there later this year. They have a newer, stronger bird in Nimiq 5 at 72.7, and as they add TPs gained from DirecTV leaving 72.5, Dish has the capacity to use 72.7 more effectively. As to what the long term channel mix plan for 72.7 and 61.5 is, I do not know that anyone here truly knows the plan.

I keep saying that it would make sense to duplicate the Latino pack channels , like on 77 sat and use the 61.5 sat for internationals. This would give parity with western arc subs who have latino pack channels. No more two dish setups for eastern arc subs who want internationals and regular programming too.

I think they would rather use the capacity to add more eastern markets to the EA by adding their local channels to the EA, and also have room for core/HD programming growth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)