61.5 not getting odd transponders, no Voom

juce

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Bayamon, PR
OK, here is the issue:

I subs to the new voom channels. I have 119, 110, and 61.5 on a DP34 and an 811.

When I got home I got nopthing from any of the voom channels, just a 002 error, "Signal has been lost...".

This is saying that the odd transponders 1,3,5,7 are not being received. I have CBS-HD and it is working fine...

Called useless dish tech support and the guy concluded after 20 minutes that there must be something wrong with my installation.

I have done a soft and hard reset. When checking the meter for the problem transponders, I cannot even select them...

Anyone have this problem? I am in Puerto Rico if it matters...

Any insight is appreciated, and if anyone in PR got this to work, I would like to hear from you...

Thanks! :confused:

juce said:
OK, here is the issue:

I subs to the new voom channels. I have 119, 110, and 61.5 on a DP34 and an 811.

When I got home I got nopthing from any of the voom channels, just a 002 error, "Signal has been lost...".

This is saying that the odd transponders 1,3,5,7 are not being received. I have CBS-HD and it is working fine...

Called useless dish tech support and the guy concluded after 20 minutes that there must be something wrong with my installation.

I have done a soft and hard reset. When checking the meter for the problem transponders, I cannot even select them...

Anyone have this problem? I am in Puerto Rico if it matters...

Any insight is appreciated, and if anyone in PR got this to work, I would like to hear from you...

Thanks! :confused:

Having same problems in Southern California, no odd transponders.....A Dish Tech will be out Friday.......

I had to re-peak my dish in order for the odd transponders to come in. I was only getting about 60 signal strength. I re-peaked to about 120 and now all my channels come in just fine.

I've had the same experience as StevenD. Try re-peaking your dish and get that signal strength as high as you can. It worked for me - in my case I only had to move the dish just a hair, and voila!

There are those on this board that keep floating the idea that there's a software problem with some 811's and VOOM - and that there's nothing you can do. This may be true, but in the several posts I've read on this forum (and from my own experience) I've seen most of these problems getting corrected with a re-peak of the dish.

Give it a try, and let us know!

TimR><>

I would try a repeak too

Reason is…you have to remember…Rainbow 1 and Echo 3 (Dish) are 2 separate satellites at the same “location”. Now they aren’t next to each other in space..they are spaced apart..but when the beam comes down to earth, they are in the same spot.

So if you have only a 70 on the Dish TP’s, the Rainbow ones may be afr enough away for zero signal

Use a magic marker and mark on the dish & pole where you were and try to nudge it 1/8-1/4 inch turn. If you goof up, at least you have the markings so you know where you started

Huh??

Tried re-peaking using a sat meter and got from 49 to 64 on most TPs. Funny how the CBS-HD does come in just fine.

As I understand Iceberg, the Rainbow and Echostar sats are both 61.5 and a dish pointed that way would pick up both.

How can I scan for the Rainbow-1 TPs??? If I use the 811, it won't see then anyhow.

Is R1 to the left or right of the Echostar bird?

Thanks!

Select 148 instead of 61.5 in the point dish screen, then you can select transponders 1,3,5,7. It will say wrong SAT but that doesn't matter.

FYI when you use a larger dish its focus point in the sky is smaller so it is very possible to be able to see only one of the satellites there.
Example you could very easily have a good signal on E3 and none on R1.

Juce,

Where in Puerto Rico are you located? I'm in Caguas... I would like to know what I n eed to do in order to have the Voom Channels that are available through E*. I already have the HD Pack and a dish 500 setup. I know that I will need another bird pointing to the 61.5 and probably another switch.. (already using SW21) but I would like to know what is the chepeast solution before calling a Technician...because sometimes they elevate the prices..

Thanks in advanced,
Email:embeleco@gmail

Well mylo,

It is a sad story with Dish as they did not really think about PR when they started Voom on 61.5.

For some reason (design) the Rainbow 1 satellite is too weak in PR, and you will need at least a 5 foot antenna (with rain fade) or a 6 foot antenna (no rain fade)...

A 5 footer runs about 180 to 250 dollars...
a 6 footer runs about 500 dollars...

Plus about $150 for the installation...

Plus... If you have a SW21, you'll need a SW44...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32845&item=5777402340&rd=1

For about $35, you can't get better price than that...

That is about it. I know of 2 others in PR that have the Voom channels, but they use 6 foot dishes. I am not willing to pay $500 for 10 channels, so I'll wait because Dish is moving satellites and launching a new satellite soon, so things will change again.

Hope this helps.

BFG said:
Select 148 instead of 61.5 in the point dish screen, then you can select transponders 1,3,5,7. It will say wrong SAT but that doesn't matter.

Very nice thinking... I just found that I get about 40 signal on thr R1 satellite... I guess that confirms at least a 5 footer... :(

juce said:
Very nice thinking... I just found that I get about 40 signal on thr R1 satellite... I guess that confirms at least a 5 footer... :(

I tried this just to see what my signal was and my 301 will not register anything on 148 as 61.5 on the odd trasponders. No big deal as I have not yet experienced any problems with the Voom channels, even during some pretty intense storms, that even 119 and 110 had a about 20 seconds of lost signal on.

The question being, will my 301 no register HD transpoders? I use that for all my peaking and adjustments as the signal meter is much more responsive than my other receivers.

E* has to release a software update for the receivers to "see" any of the R-1 trans on their receivers. E* policy is to only allow the receiver to show E* owned trans(the Bell ExpressVu's will show since they use E* receivers).

You still left something out. The receivers will LIST the transponders of the ones that carry HD channels, but they will show no signal on them. Case in point is 110-13. I show it on my 721, but no signal. Same goes for 110-7 & 110-17. These carry the HD channels and give a zero signal stregnth. I've heard that the 921 shows 61.5-1/3/5/7, but my 721 does not show them. I don't remember when it comes to other E* receivers.

Juce,

Thanks for the quick response. I already have two 5 footers pointing to 110 and 119 so that means another 5 footer for the 61.5. Do you think they will move the channels from the 61.5 to another one? Let me see what deal I can get with another 5 footer plus installation to see if it make sense to add just 10 channels...

What do you think? Is it better to wait to see what path Dish takes with their channels or go ahead and add the 3rd 5 footer..

Thanks in advanced,
-mylo

Smith said:
R-1 transmitt those muxes thru tp1,3,5,7 in 8PSK mode, so any SD receiver will show nothing without using BCM4500.

I figured after hookup that my 301 was not gonna show any singal on HD TP, but hey, I am not picky, I am getting great Voom signal, I don't feel like running a line just to my 921 to check this out, the signal meter on that is wacky anyways and takes forever at times to register a signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)