61.5 vs 129 question....

tennisgrl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
When I first got Dish Network many years ago, the installer put the dish on the very top of my roof right at the peak. I didn't really like it b/c its so visible from the front of the house, but I went with it.

Now, I'm about to get a new roof on the house. I called Dish to see if they would go ahead and move my dish to where I originally wanted it to go. Another installer came out and told me that by putting it lower on the roof in the back, I'd lose my line of sight to the 129 satellite, but that he could do it by putting on the 1000.4 satellite and point me to 61.5. That sounded ok until I jumped on this forum and am reading a bunch of posts about them moving HD channels from 61.5 to another satellite and I might lose some HD channels....not an option for me.

So, I guess if its a question of leaving the satellite on the top of the house, which is only aesthetically unpleasing to me, is still better than losing any HD channels and pointing to the 61.5? Is that right?

Hi, if you can get the 1000.4 dish (Eastern Arc) then you would be covered unless your locals are on the Western Arc. You will get all the HD. Hope this helps, DC Edit --- The other satellite is the 72 satellite and you will receive it just fine with the E.A. Dish

So I should get the EA dish? I was just worried about losing HD channels. Not sure which dish my Atlanta locals HD channels are on.

EA is fine for the Atlanta locals. I switched to EA when the first batch of new HD channels came out. I get all the HD channels and Atlanta locals.

Thanks!!! This is good to know! What made me start to think of all of this was that the installer himself said I'd lose a few HD channels.....although he didn't say which ones.

The point is the OP will not be missing anything with a 1000.4 dish pointed at Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7/77). This will have all the programming anyone from Atlanta would want except for foreign language programming. Even Dish Latino is/will be available through EA.

See ya
Tony

It will be a bit of work, but you can compare the contents of the satellites. That will tell you what (if anything) you will be missing.

DISH Network on EchoStar 3/6/12 at 61.5°W - LyngSat

DISH Network on Ciel 2 at 129.0°W - LyngSat

No work needed... if you go with the 1000.2 or 1000.4 you're good to go. It's the 110/119/61.5 setups that miss channels.

BTW...TheList is more up to date than Lyngsat ;) TheList gets updated automatically of any changes in the tables.

The point is the OP will not be missing anything with a 1000.4 dish pointed at Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7/77). This will have all the programming anyone from Atlanta would want except for foreign language programming. Even Dish Latino is/will be available through EA.

See ya
Tony

Actually some of the international channels are on 61.5. One of the Arabic packages is, and I think so are some of the hindi channels. After checking with our trainer I installed only 61.5 at one place for internationals. Sorry I can't remember exactly which package, it has been a few months.

Aaron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)