61 and 72 switching...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skyscanner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Sportsman's Paradise Northern Mi
I asked this question another place and haven't gotten an answer yet. Here's my situation.
Just had Dish & Hopper 2 installed yesterday. Everything OK yesterday when the installer left, but after he left I found the diagnostic page and checked the sig quality on 61 and 72
Shocked to see 45 and 60% while OTA showed 100%. The wind was absolutely howling yesterday and the installer said his meter was acting up.
This morning everything was pixelating and sig quality was all over the place but lower than yesterday, but later got better and watchable, so I didn't call Dish to come out.
I have several 4' Primestar KU dishes, and am thinking about aiming a couple at 61 and 72 for better coverage.
My question is, what switch protocol would I use to switch between 61 and 72? Would it be some disecq, 0/22, or does the hopper 2 use some proprietary protocol?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Satellite signal strength readings on Dish are misleading. Elsewhere in this forum you will read that signal strengths between 50-60 on the Eastern Arc satellites (61 and 72) are normal and good. They cannot be compared to the OTA signal strength. A reading of 45 is a little low but it depends on the Satellite and Transponder and whether or not that transponder is a spot beam that you might be on the fringe of. If you are still concerned you should call and have the tech come back out and re-peak your dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I asked this question another place and haven't gotten an answer yet. Here's my situation.
Just had Dish & Hopper 2 installed yesterday. Everything OK yesterday when the installer left, but after he left I found the diagnostic page and checked the sig quality on 61 and 72
Shocked to see 45 and 60% while OTA showed 100%. The wind was absolutely howling yesterday and the installer said his meter was acting up.
This morning everything was pixelating and sig quality was all over the place but lower than yesterday, but later got better and watchable, so I didn't call Dish to come out.
I have several 4' Primestar KU dishes, and am thinking about aiming a couple at 61 and 72 for better coverage.
My question is, what switch protocol would I use to switch between 61 and 72? Would it be some disecq, 0/22, or does the hopper 2 use some proprietary protocol?
Thanks!
Ok

Thanks for the answers, I shouldn't have gotten into so much detail, but my real question is pertaining to the switch protocol the Hopper 2 uses to switch between 61 and 72. Does anyone know what is used?
Thanks.

Back in the mists of antiquity, I had a twinhan PCI satellite tuner card and it switched my 1000.4 DPP LNB just fine. I think it was disecq back then. But no telling what Dish installed for you and receiving 61.5 and 72... Did they put in a DPH LNB? That is what I have now for 61.5 and 72 and the H3 took over the switch for all 16 tuners. And a DPH LNB is not needed for an H2. Plus my PCI card died anyhow.

I suspect, at worst, you could buy a Dish switch such as the DPP44 and just use DP LNBs on your Primestar dishes.

Back in the mists of antiquity, I had a twinhan PCI satellite tuner card and it switched my 1000.4 DPP LNB just fine. I think it was disecq back then. But no telling what Dish installed for you and receiving 61.5 and 72... Did they put in a DPH LNB? That is what I have now for 61.5 and 72 and the H3 took over the switch for all 16 tuners. And a DPH LNB is not needed for an H2. Plus my PCI card died anyhow.

I suspect, at worst, you could buy a Dish switch such as the DPP44 and just use DP LNBs on your Primestar dishes.
I'm a tech dummy. My ability is limited to finding the satellite and pointing the dish, so I don't know what a DPH LNB is. The installed LNB is a single unit (2 LNBs). I asked him where the switch was and he said it was built in.

I'm a tech dummy. My ability is limited to finding the satellite and pointing the dish, so I don't know what a DPH LNB is. The installed LNB is a single unit (2 LNBs). I asked him where the switch was and he said it was built in.
It is indeed built in.

In the beginning were legacy circularly polarized LNBs which (in the twin form) were switched by voltage... Ah... I think it was 13V or 19V to switch polarizations. But that was a serious PITA so Dish invented Dish Pro which put everything (both polarizations via bandstacking) onto one cable per LNB.

For LNB assemblies with multiple satellites, the internal switch became DishPro Plus, which could place different satellites on either band, allowing two tuner Dish receivers to choose either satellite via one cable. This is the internal switch that was disecq that you and I mentioned before.

When the H3 came out, this needed a more radical solution, which is the DishPro Hybrid LNB assembly such as the one I have. This allowed any satellite (up to 4) to be switched into a band that could service 16 tuners via one cable. If you have one of those, and you plug in an earlier receiver such as your H2, it should revert to the prior DPP behavior.

Have I given too much detail?

It is indeed built in.

In the beginning were legacy circularly polarized LNBs which (in the twin form) were switched by voltage... Ah... I think it was 13V or 19V to switch polarizations. But that was a serious PITA so Dish invented Dish Pro which put everything (both polarizations via bandstacking) onto one cable per LNB.

For LNB assemblies with multiple satellites, the internal switch became DishPro Plus, which could place different satellites on either band, allowing two tuner Dish receivers to choose either satellite via one cable. This is the internal switch that was disecq that you and I mentioned before.

When the H3 came out, this needed a more radical solution, which is the DishPro Hybrid LNB assembly such as the one I have. This allowed any satellite (up to 4) to be switched into a band that could service 16 tuners via one cable. If you have one of those, and you plug in an earlier receiver such as your H2, it should revert to the prior DPP behavior.

Have I given too much detail?
Well I get the basics, but not knowing what switch protocol Hopper 2 uses to switch between LNBs has me handicapped. Guess it's just going to take trial and error of several kinds of switches to see what will work, if anything.

Well I get the basics, but not knowing what switch protocol Hopper 2 uses to switch between LNBs has me handicapped. Guess it's just going to take trial and error of several kinds of switches to see what will work, if anything.
Just use a Dish switch and you don't have to worry about what protocol it uses. That's assuming you just get a couple of DP LNBs for your 4' dishes.

Just use a Dish switch and you don't have to worry about what protocol it uses. That's assuming you just get a couple of DP LNBs for your 4' dishes.
This? I think I might have this already plus some single circular LNBs

Or maybe this:

Or maybe this:
Your going to need the DP21 switch with DP or DPP lnb's...The SW21 is for legacy equipment..I would try adjusting the dish that was installed to see if you can get a better signal... Some people say bigger dish isn't always better for dish...I have no knowledge about this.. just what I've read here in the past

Reactions: Skyscanner
Your going to need the DP21 switch with DP or DPP lnb's...The SW21 is for legacy equipment..I would try adjusting the dish that was installed to see if you can get a better signal... Some people say bigger dish isn't always better for dish...I have no knowledge about this.. just what I've read here in the past
Soon as I get some good weather I'll look at repositioning the dish, or maybe just call Dish Monday morning. Want to see if the problem comes up again. Maybe it'll be OK from now on.

Or maybe this:
No, that's ancient. You need a DPP44 switch, and 2 DP Pro lnbs. Plus to mount them to your Primestar dishes, you'll need some 2nd party lnb holders. Then you need two separate poles for your dishes, and two separate coax cables, etc, etc. It's easier to call for a repoint.

Thanks!
I did an upgrade for a guy that has 3 1-Meter Dishes pointed at the WA Sats. You can do that with the EA. So, you'd run the lines to a 42 Switch.

Attachments

• dp5.png
    dp5.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 113

Or maybe this:
Sorry; neither one will work. As TVland says, an SW21 is for really ancient equipment and will not work with DishPro or DishPro Plus gear. The H2 requires DishPro Plus LNB or switches, because it has 3 satellite tuners. (See above.) That is done via 2 coaxes going to the hub (or whatever it's called) from a DishPro Plus LNB/switch assembly.
Your going to need the DP21 switch with DP or DPP lnb's...The SW21 is for legacy equipment.
A DP21 is not DPP, so this will not work for his H2 either. Please experts correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I did an upgrade for a guy that has 3 1-Meter Dishes pointed at the WA Sats. You can do that with the EA. So, you'd run the lines to a 42 Switch.
Are you talking a DPH42 switch? That can be done too, if you say so. But IMHO it's overkill for a H2. Unless he's planning on upgrading to the H3, the DPP44 is probably cheaper. In fact, the DPP33 is cheaper still if you can find one. (I have an unused DPP33 if you want it.)

But getting the installer to peak the dish is probably the cheapest of all.

Sorry; neither one will work. As TVland says, an SW21 is for really ancient equipment and will not work with DishPro or DishPro Plus gear. The H2 requires DishPro Plus LNB or switches, because it has 3 satellite tuners. (See above.) That is done via 2 coaxes going to the hub (or whatever it's called) from a DishPro Plus LNB/switch assembly.

A DP21 is not DPP, so this will not work for his H2 either. Please experts correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Are you talking a DPH42 switch? That can be done too, if you say so. But IMHO it's overkill for a H2. Unless he's planning on upgrading to the H3, the DPP44 is probably cheaper. In fact, the DPP33 is cheaper still if you can find one. (I have an unused DPP33 if you want it.)

But getting the installer to peak the dish is probably the cheapest of all.
Anymore, using DPP and a Solo Node seems so 2 years ago lol

Off topic, but since the discussion got into what a DP21 switch is capable of doing, it got me wondering: Is there any way to connect five satellite locations to a single receiver? I am currently using a 1000.4 EA with a cable from 129 fed into its input port, for a total of four satellites. (The 129 is for backup in case the signal goes out on the HD feeds on Eastern Arc.) I have cables already ran from both the 129 and 110 LNB's on my Western Arc Dish 1000+ to a dual ground block, with one cable from that ground block to the 1000.4 EA input port. (The ground block allows me easy access if I want to switch the satellite connected to the input port to 110. I can simply move the cable to the other port on the ground block, and run a Check Switch.) If I replace the dual ground block with a DP21 switch, would that input port be able to recognize both 110 and 129 at the same time, giving me five satellite locations?

(The ground block allows me easy access if I want to switch the satellite connected to the input port to 110. I can simply move the cable to the other port on the ground block, and run a Check Switch.) If I replace the dual ground block with a DP21 switch, would that input port be able to recognize both 110 and 129 at the same time, giving me five satellite locations?
IIRC the input port on a 1000.4 cannot figure out or understand (or switch) anything; a single DP LNB is all that it can handle. So the DP21 cannot be used.

That said, long ago in a galaxy far far away, I thought there were ways to get Dish receivers to switch up to 5 satellites. Wow. May have been a really gnarly cascade of SW21's... Gives me a headache just thinking about it!

• Haha
Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
That said, long ago in a galaxy far far away, I thought there were ways to get Dish receivers to switch up to 5 satellites. Wow. May have been a really gnarly cascade of SW21's... Gives me a headache just thinking about it!
I have recovered from that headache enough to remember the 5 satellites: 61.5, 110, 118, 119, and 129. I have a vague recollection of Dish having a sat at 145 too, presumably for AK and HI.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)