612 Freezing getting tiresome

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I have a 612 on our upstairs TV that seems to freeze about 4-5 times each week. It automatically restarts per the schedule (in the afternoon so it doesn't wake me up) but we have to do a hard restart (holding down the power button) quite regularly. My 622 downstairs is rock solid (have maybe restarted it a few times in 3+ years) but the 612 is just annoying.

When I say it "freezes" what happens is that whatever you're watching - whether it's LIVE or from the DVR - the picture freezes but the audio tends to keep going. If you try to switch channels or go to the guide or DVR menu, you can do so, maybe once, but then you get locked out (the buttons on the remote, including power, don't do anything).

I'm always hesitant to get a new receiver from Dish because it's most likely refurbished. (Though, I suppose, it can't be much worse). I want to keep a 612 b/c I don't need TV out but do need the dual-tuner (don't want to pay extra for 722). I thought the most recent software update would help, but no luck.

Suggestions? Any reason to think having a new 612 will alleviate the issue?

It does sound like the receiver needs to be replaced. Have you had this problem with previous 612s?

Send me your phone number or account number in a PM, and I can get you taken care of

A new 612 is on its way. Thanks to MattG for great customer service! Having DIRT on this board is a wonderful asset. And an extra thanks to Matt (and to those up the ladder who got the program going) for seeing the value in providing customer service outside the standard channels of phone and chat.

A new 612 is on its way. Thanks to MattG for great customer service! Having DIRT on this board is a wonderful asset. And an extra thanks to Matt (and to those up the ladder who got the program going) for seeing the value in providing customer service outside the standard channels of phone and chat.

I'm glad that I was able to help! If you ever need anything, feel free to send me a PM, or email

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)