612 or 211 with EHD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
After living with a 508 in the upstairs bedroom for many trouble-free years, I'm now considering switching to an HD DVR receiver. I would have sprung for a 722 until Dish decided to charge $17 a month for these. Now I am looking at the 612 or the 211 with an external hard drive. (2nd TV output not needed, PIP nice but not essential.)

I'm not too worried about the $3 cost difference per month, but the apparent reliability problem with the 612 have me worried. On the other hand, I have no clue if the 211 with EHD will function as seamlessly as the 612, and the WAF is critical with this unit. ;) Any suggestions on which way to go would be appreciated.

After living with a 508 in the upstairs bedroom for many trouble-free years, I'm now considering switching to an HD DVR receiver. I would have sprung for a 722 until Dish decided to charge $17 a month for these. Now I am looking at the 612 or the 211 with an external hard drive. (2nd TV output not needed, PIP nice but not essential.)

I'm not too worried about the $3 cost difference per month, but the apparent reliability problem with the 612 have me worried. On the other hand, I have no clue if the 211 with EHD will function as seamlessly as the 612, and the WAF is critical with this unit. ;) Any suggestions on which way to go would be appreciated.

Can't tell from your original post, but if the 722 is your only receiver, you won't be paying $17 a month.

I just got a 612 so I don't know about how it will do in the long run. When the 522 was first released it was not what it is today as far pip and separate buffers,. I expect that in future software updates that the 612 with a total of 3 tuners will get those features. the remote has the buttons just like when the 522 came out, just not active yet. I also got a couple 211k's but would have to pay $40 for activation and the cost of a EHD. I think the 612 issues are software related and it will eventually get better.

It's all in the other thread, but why not start new one that duplicates the discussion? <sigh> :rolleyes:
Wait, here's another...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ould-i-charged-6-account-dvr-service-fee.html

No, it's not in the other thread(s). The first thread talked about how the 722 will change the channel on one of tuners unexpectedly. The thread you mentioned talks about the $6 DVR fee. Neither answers my original question above. And I did do a search before adding this topic.

Please do a little bit of research yourself before thread-crapping on me. :rolleyes:

Note: I already have a primary 722 in the family room. With the new fees a 612 or 211 makes more sense than the 722 for a 2nd receiver. The dual tuner on the 612 is a bonus, but 612 video / audio issues noted in these forums concern me. I simply wanted to hear from anyone who had used both a 612 and a 211 (with EHD) on which is the better choice from a usability and reliability standpoint.

Actually, http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/202117-vip-612-usable.html is actually closer to what I was asking.)

Last edited:
Reliability, 211 is better. I say this because my Dad's 612 is more on the quirky side. Usability, the 612 is better because of two sat. tuners. I've never used the 211 w/ EHD but the limitation is the same as my 508, namely you cannot watch one thing while recording another from satellite. If you are used to that and don't mind, then it sounds like you would be happy with a 211 + EHD.

I don't know what you mean by seamless or WAF. Just trying to give you the best information and thought you were asking about facts. I was just active in those other threads, the first of which does discuss the 211, EHD, and 612, and the advantages of each, which I thought was your question.

I've had a 211 with e/HD running just fine for the past year. I prefer the smaller form factor and being able to pick my own quiet drive, both are good attributes for a bedroom setup.

I also considered the 612 but, it seems a bit forgotten by Dish. I'd just pay the extra and go with a 722K if I needed dual sat tuners.

I have had a 211 EHD for a month or so. It works just like my old 508. I think I get 49 hrs of HD recording with a 750 gig HD. I haven’t tried hooking up an OTA yet so I’m not sure if I can record 2 things at once. The program guide did extend out to nine days when the hard drive was hooked up.
I tried to move my HD from my 622 to share recorded content but that didn’t work. I believe with a 612 you can move a hard drive from one box to the other to share content.

Last edited:
I have 4 211's with 500g EHDs. Run just perfect not a problem ever.

Please advise which EHD you are using. My 211k w/Seagate doesn't do well @all. I haven't connected it in awhile because of this.

Also, when I had the 211 connected via HDMI cable, most times upon turning on the receiver & the TV, its like the receiver never came on. Now it is connected via component cables and it comes on each time.

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with the EHD part but the HDMI issue sounds like a handshake issue withe the 211 and your TV. Some TV's have problems with this more than others.

There really should be no difference in picture quality between HDMI and component anyway so I would just stick with what you are using now.

Ok....the 211 works super with EHD. and yes no add dvr fee.
I dont understand when you talk about the $17.00 rcvr fee.
If you only have ONE rcvr ie a 722, than there is no fee. You will have a DVR fee on a 722, but that's it

Hope that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts