612 software update?

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
Does anybody keep up with any software updates for the 612? Mine lost tuner input 1 last night and after a hard rest it came back, but I think it has a new update . anybody know for sure and what are the changes?

What version do you have? Looks like L6.08 started spooling recently. I think Scott is the only one who can get information on what changes are coming with L6.08. He might post the info.

VIP612 L6.08 CURRENT 5/27/2010
VIP612 L6.06 CURRENT 8/27/2009

L606 now. I hope they add P I P soon. I remember when the 522 first came out it didn't have P I P until after a few updates.

I just really want them to fix the freeze issues this receiver has. :)

I just noticed I have 608 now. Dish sent me a new receiver but I haven't installed it yet. I forgot that I have recordings on it that I haven't watched yet and I'd like to transfer them to an EHD before I replace the unit.

It'll be interesting to see if the newest software fixes the weirdness that people are having with this model.

Can you elaborate on the freeze issues and are they software version specific?

Video just freezes and audio stutters while watching TV. I have also noticed that the receiver locks up if you're recording and the video freezes. I have to reboot the receiver if I want to continue watching the movie I was watching. My problems just started, receiver was fine in the beginning but if this continues after the software update I'll begin calling to have the receiver replaced.

How old?

Video just freezes and audio stutters while watching TV. I have also noticed that the receiver locks up if you're recording and the video freezes. I have to reboot the receiver if I want to continue watching the movie I was watching. My problems just started, receiver was fine in the beginning but if this continues after the software update I'll begin calling to have the receiver replaced.

How old is the unit? It sounds like the HDD inside may be about to go bad.

I installed my (first and hopefully only) replacement last night so time will tell. The original one worked fine for a month or two then started acting up.

L606 now. I hope they add P I P soon. I remember when the 522 first came out it didn't have P I P until after a few updates.

The 612 will never have PIP. PIP requires two outputs, and the whole difference between a 612 and a 622 is that the 612 has one output and the 622 has two outputs.

Mine has version L609. Only had it two days works as it should.
I disagree about it not ever being able to do PIP. In fact, it could internally. There are three tuners if you count OTA. The receiver itself could show two tuners to be seen split on the screen done solely with software. Since you can record a program and still watch another, it actually is partway toward PIP. Instead of switching between the two tuners it could show both tuners..... When a TV does PIP all it does is through software, take the two inputs and put them on the screen....

How long does it take for the software updates to finish cycling through? I've still got version 606. Exactly what is the new version supposed to fix? My 612 has been restarting itself lately. I noticed it only does it when playing back certain recorded programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)