612 Tech Question.

jbrelish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Is it normal for a 612 fan to be running even hours after it is in sleep mode? Also will Dish have a fit if I remove the cover and clean the dust out? The room is not hot,been 68 or lower all winter. The 612 has ample air flow, not in an enclosure. The house seems to grow dustbunnies abundantly. I clean my PC quite often as it clogs the heatsink, so just wondering about the 612.

No, I would not say that's normal at all. I have two 612's, and the only time they do this is when they crash with the fan on full. Usually the fan is off and then it overheats and won't start again until I unplug it. Try unplugging yours and see if that fixes it.

If you are careful to remove the cover, Dish will never know if you've cleaned it out.

As thekrell said,that's not normal.The only time I hear the fan is during the nightly updates,or a rare crash.Make sure the vents aren't clogged up.You might be able to use some canned air to blow it out.

As thekrell said,that's not normal.The only time I hear the fan is during the nightly updates,or a rare crash.Make sure the vents aren't clogged up.You might be able to use some canned air to blow it out.

Will try the unplug. Last time it was actually shut off was Hurricane Sandy,no power for 4 days. So maybe a power reset might work. I would really like to take the cover off so I can blow out the vents and fan without just relocating the dustbunnies, will this be a no-no with Dish for taking the cover off?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)