622 Bugs

Reefer123

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
20 Miles from OTA Towers :)
Just wondering if anyone is expieriencing any of the following.

Seems like I am getting a random popping noise when watching OTA HD, yet the Locals SDs provided by E* do not have this popping sound.

A big difference between the volume of the OTA channels in regards to the E* channels. I almost have to have my TV on full blast to listen to OTA but it is very annoying when switching back and forth between OTA and E* channels as I constantly have to raise/lower the volume.

Problems with the recall button also esp when switching between E* and OTA channels. A few times I have been watching an OTA switch over to a satellite channel. Then when I hit recall it takes me to the previously viewed satellite channel instead of the OTA I just finished watching. A couple hits of the recall button somehow will get me back to the OTA channel.

Just wondering if anyone is haveing similar issues.

Yep, I have all of that. I even get the popping sound with the E* channels. However, I love the reciever in general!

Well I fixed one of them while surfing the menus last night. In the DolbyDigital setup you can pic line out or rf out I switched mine from line to rf and now the sound is equal in OTA and SAT.

Reefer123 said:
Well I fixed one of them while surfing the menus last night. In the DolbyDigital setup you can pic line out or rf out I switched mine from line to rf and now the sound is equal in OTA and SAT.
Hey thanks for that tip Reefer! It fixed that irritating problem I've put up with on my 921 for 14 months!:up Now if you could just fix the rest of its irritating problems.............LOL:rolleyes:
Ed

My 811 has the same problem with the recall button when watching OTA and switching back to sat channel. I just hooked up the OTA antenna a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure how long this has been a problem on the 811.

lakebum431 said:
But you don't get DD sound that way right?
No, WRONG. I'm happy to report that I DO still get DD (when the channel HAS DD, ex.HBO, 9456) thru my receiver. Audio now appears to be level between OTA and satellite whether DD or not. Much nicer than getting blasted when switching from an OTA to sat or DD to regular sat audio. Works for me.:)
Ed
My audio receiver is connected to 921 via optical, don't know if that's why it works or not.:confused:

Last edited:
I have noticed some sound differences on channels but have not paid too much attention to it... However... a couple of bugs that mine has:

(now keeping in mind I got the unit last Thursday)

1. Twice the unit has 'locked up' with a bunch of pixels on the screen... Only thing I could do is yank the plug from the wall and hard boot it...

2. A hand full of times while watching tv (only noticed this on the movie channels... hbo and starz sd channels... The audio would mute itself... only way of getting audio back is to skip back a few times...

3. Sometimes my off air channels will show up with nothing but a black screen - changing to a dish channel and back to the off air channel brings it back...

4. A couple of times the box has had a mind of its own, and turned on by itself...

so far the biggest bug for me has been sound going out of sync.

A few others have contacted me about problems going live from a buffer while its recording, but luckily that has not happened to me yet.

In addition I have been contacted by one lucky member who has 622's who wanted to warn folks that if you hook up two 622's they will not turn the 2nd 622 on unless they do an audit on your account there and then (And it does not matter if they did one last week or even yesterday, 2 622's = automatic account audit.

Reefer123 said:
It does not work for my two 942's. I have two different audio receivers, both connected with the optical out. What setting do you use on the far left of that menu?
1. Dolby Digital/PCM
or 2. Dolby Digital Only,
or 3. PCM only?
Tom in TX

Ota Hd

The audio popping on OTA HD seems to be becoming more commonplace.
For those with the issue, here are the symptoms I experience:
-a brief yellow signal loss screen appears.
-popping sound replaces audio.
-switching channels (to any other channel) and back, or quickly powering off the receiver via the remote, and back on, the audio resumes normally.

I know it is not any sort of OTA reception issue, as my 921 and 811 have been on the same channel when it occurred on the 622, with no effect on either the 921 or 811, and both the 921 and 811 are split another 45' down-line from the OTA feed to the 622.

Tom in TX said:
It does not work for my two 942's. I have two different audio receivers, both connected with the optical out. What setting do you use on the far left of that menu?
1. Dolby Digital/PCM
or 3. PCM only?
Tom in TX
Tom-On my 921 its set on Dolby Digital/PCM. I would GUESS it'd be the same on your 942's.:confused: Good luck, I'm sure enjoying not having to mess with the volume continuously.:up
Ed

Tom in TX said:
1. Dolby Digital/PCM
or 3. PCM only?
Tom in TX

For Optical, you should use #1.

The settings for Line/RF are for for the Line In RCA jacks to your amp/TV and RF modulation of the sound through the 75? coax to the TV.

They do not pertain to your case.

Scott Greczkowski said:
In addition I have been contacted by one lucky member who has 622's who wanted to warn folks that if you hook up two 622's they will not turn the 2nd 622 on unless they do an audit on your account there and then (And it does not matter if they did one last week or even yesterday, 2 622's = automatic account audit.

Hmm.. I plan to have 2 622 receivers at some time in the fairly near future, so I guess they will be doing an account audit. What does an account audit consist of?

seandudley said:
Hmm.. I plan to have 2 622 receivers at some time in the fairly near future, so I guess they will be doing an account audit. What does an account audit consist of?

They have you go around to every receiver in your house and read off the location ID code from each receivers system information screen.

... even if they are all plugged in?

It's not too bad an experience....., just make sure you take their call and don't give them any attitude like "I don't have time now" or anything like that.

They will read this to mean that you are account stacking and have to go get the other receivers from your Dad's house, your cabin, or wherever you stashed another receiver that you didn't plug in so they couldn't trace the caller ID.

today after my 622 was on for about 4 hours a hiss and static noise started, lost picture and control of receiver had to reboot

BobMurdoch said:
... even if they are all plugged in?
They will read this to mean that you are account stacking and have to go get the other receivers from your Dad's house, your cabin, or wherever you stashed another receiver that you didn't plug in so they couldn't trace the caller ID.

Caller ID is not used on calls to toll free numbers (which is what the receivers dial). Caller ID is not secure enough (it can be faked and it can be blocked). Toll free numbers use ANI (automatic number identification) to identity the number that the call is from. ANI is also used by the phone companies for all their long distance billing.

Ok, I did some playing around with the 622 for the past hour and ran into something that doesn't seem right. When pausing Live TV, going forward a bit, and then rewinding past the paused point, there is some major pixelation on over half the screen at the point of the pause. Other pixelation issues can be found throughout the recorded event. I don't see this when viewing live. I tried several HD channels, and they all do this.

The box the 622 arrived in was damaged when it arrived last week, and I hope the receiver didn't take a big whack.

Is this just my 622 having these problems?

Also, changing channels are very slow when compared to my 811. It takes around 2 seconds for the video to appear when changing to a channel through the guide or channel up/down. This occurs on SD, HD, psuedo MPEG4, MPEG 2, and OTA (I don't have access to the real MPEG 4 yet). I didn't pay attention to when the audio came on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)