622 Closed Captioning

emtownsend

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Post Falls, ID
On my 508, I was able to mute my Toshiba RPTV and the CC would come on while muted. This was using my Svideo connection.
With the 622, when the same TV is muted, the word "Mute" stays on-screen but no CC comes out. I am using the HDMI connection. A read through the 622 manual says that CC will be the TV's responsibility when used with composite connections but when using the HDMI connection, the box handles the CC.
Seems to be the only way to watch TV with Close Captioning now is to go into the box settings each time and turn it on or off. There doesn't seem to be a CC while muted option. That was a life saver function when you have kids. The room is either too loud to hear TV so we switch it, or the kids are asleep & I want to kick it on quickly.
Anyone know if I am doing something wrong? I know the 622 has two tuners and both are connected to my TV, but what mode do I need to be in to get to the composite video? Single or Dual? or?? maybe I am missing something else.
BTW: Isn't it odd that the 622 has NO svideo, only RCA for TV2. Would it have killed them to make the output of TV2 a little more decent?
Thanks!!

Nope it's not possible.

think about it, how would the 622 know when you mute the sound? the sound is external to the 622.

With HD closed captioning is different where it's not something the TV can decode w/ HDMi,DVI,componet etc. The source has to display the CC, which is the 622

Actually, I think that th CC is included in the stream automatically when viewing SD but not when viewing HD. I don't have a 622 but know that my SD receivers work the way emtownsend describes. My 921 doesn't automatically supply CC. I have to select it via the preferences menu and then it is running even when the TV isn't muted. When using my 721, if I click mute on the TV, CC automatically starts up. This part is a function of the TV, not the Dish receiver.

The end result is, the HD receivers do work different from the SD receivers. I prefer the method used by the SD receivers but perhaps this can't be done on the HD ones.

Brian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts