622 DVR losing bottom half of scrolling messages

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fungi

Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
chair
With my 622 DVR the display is missing the bottom half of half the characters on shows with scrolling messages. There are no adjustments within the DVRs set up that will fix it.

For example I can tune my TV to a local channel and I can read the text. But if I watch it through the 622's over the air HD receiver OR the local channel via the satalite the bottom of the characters are missing. So this points to the 622 not the TV.

What's my options here? :D Thanks in advance.

Does your TV have separate zoom settings for each input?

Does your TV have separate zoom settings for each input?

No, well yes, well, no... It's got a cool autozoom feature. But that's not it. I can change the zoom and make it worse, but not better. I believe the 622 is the problem here. I tried to correct with zoom on the TV but it's coming in scaled and the setting in the 622 are insuffiient to fix it. It's like they left off some options, or defaulted to a mode that is just wrong. Been that way from the beginning.

I don't believe it's the 622. If your TV has such an adjustment, use Just Scan. Many TVs will over-scan a bit when set to 16x9. My three year old Samsung does it, but does not have the JS option. Calibration will also fix it.

No, well yes, well, no... It's got a cool autozoom feature. But that's not it. I can change the zoom and make it worse, but not better. I believe the 622 is the problem here. I tried to correct with zoom on the TV but it's coming in scaled and the setting in the 622 are insuffiient to fix it. It's like they left off some options, or defaulted to a mode that is just wrong. Been that way from the beginning.

Sounds like overscan on your TV to me.

I'm at work. I will try to log in here tonight when I'm in front of the TV. But guys I'm telling you I have been all through the menu on that 622 and I mean everywhere. I have never been able to get it to look right.

Could it be my 622 (I got one of the very first when they were released) has an old firmware or something?

It is defenitely NOT the TV.

I will gather more usefull info and report back.

I'm at work. I will try to log in here tonight when I'm in front of the TV. But guys I'm telling you I have been all through the menu on that 622 and I mean everywhere. I have never been able to get it to look right.

Could it be my 622 (I got one of the very first when they were released) has an old firmware or something?

It is defenitely NOT the TV.

I will gather more usefull info and report back.

Why are you so sure it is not the TV? As I said before, it sounds like overscan on your TV is trimming off the edges of the picture. You could try switching your 622 between 720p and 1080i to see if the problem gets any worse/better.

Are the tops of the letters at the bottom of the display, or are they in the right place with the bottom of the display blanked out?

Another suggestion. Is it possible to try the 622 with another TV in the house? This might help narrow down if it is the TV or the 622.

Have you tried the format button on the remote? I believe that it is the * button on the bottom left. The zoom features are not in the menu, you need to hit the * button. Just sayin...

Did you swap the input connectors between the 622 and 722 to prove it is the 622 and not that particular input?
Is one component and the HDMI because the TV may be different for these input modes? Only compare one input mode with a like one. In particular, HDMI/DVI and VGA inputs and component are scaled differently.
-Ken

I have the same problem with my 622s. The horizontal and verticle are out of line. My previous 921 had a horizontal( L/R) and verticle adjustment( Top/Bottom). The 622 does not. My tv has a horizontal adjustment , but not a verticle . So I lose the bottom of scrolls just like you. It is particularly bothersome on ESPN.

I suggest you go to AVSforums and see if your TV is listed. Other owners may be able to guide you to the service menus to reduce you overscan to the recommended IIRC 5%--I prefer 2 to 3%. Some TVs have a menu item for "no overscan" and that will do easily but it will be 3 menu levels in.

With my older CRT model I had to make a vinyl (cheap and hold by static but stretchy) template and do a 42-point convergence to get it tight on the edges. The simpler 12(20?)-point with or without its automatic feature had too much overscan and did not really align the colors--you cannot get the lines straight by eyeball alone. My main DLP does have a overscan/not menu item and it has positioning as well. It does not do multipoint convergence but does not need it.

-Ken

KKlare is right...Six years ago when I bought a plasma TV and hooked it up to my Dish receiver, I had a surprisingly large amount of overscan. I went to AVSforums and learned how to get into the service menu of my TV. Once in the service menu I was able to adjust the horizontal and vertical size and centering to get almost no overscan. When I upgraded from a 622 to a 722 I did not have to readjust the size and centering. You only have to do it once, and it is definitely worth it (in my opinion).

A caution: if you go to the service menu your set may then forget all your usual controls like brightness and contrast. So write them down before attempting that. Most of the AVSforum helpers will remind you, but just in case. The other thing to get a good picture like viewing a movie requires you not to use Vivid or Dynamic or such a term for the picture. It takes a couple days to adjust to a "duller" picture but you will appreciate to have truer colors and not the over-saturated color and contrast, which hurt your eyes. FWIW.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts