622 Freezes......anyone else??

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
My 622 will freeze a frame on my screen but continue with the sound track. This happens several times a day. When I turn off the 622 the frame remains until I either turn off the tv or turn the 622 back on.

Anyone having this problem? If so, what did you do??

The receiver is located on a shelf by itself with plenty of clearance underneath and overhead. As for re-booting I have done that and it continues to happen. Is there someway the diagnostics can tell me if it is overheating??

Yes, I have an OTA connection in addition to DISH and the 622. Could the freeze be happening with my TV and not the 622?? (Samsung5687w)

If you had the antenna connected to the 622 I was concerned with multi-path problems. Since you don't, rules out that possibility

How can a receiver be showing the frozen frame after it has been powered down? That seems very odd.

Do this for us. Hit menu, 6, 3, counters, and tell us the temps (you will need to page down 3 or 4 times to see them). It will list high, low and average.

I have had the same problem but only on my OTA antenna. What was really weird was that last night at the beginning of ER (on OTA) if froze up but audio continued. When a commercial came, I saw the whole commercial but when it went back to ER, I saw the same picture froze in the same place. Must be them.

It may have to do with the new DB8 Multidirectional HDTV Antenna I installed last week. Since then, Channels that have high 90 signals just drop out for a few seconds.

Lakebum431:Here are the temps you requested:

High=127
Low=104
Ave=114

I was also wondering how the "freeze-frame" could remain on the screen after i have turned off the 622.

Those numbers are not that bad.

With the frozen picture remaining on the screen with the 622 turned off, it sounds like the problem may be in the TV. Are You using HDMI or component video inputs?

Do you have another, even an old analog TV that would let you simultaneously watch to see if it freezes or not?

JIM: I am using HDMI and the TV is a new Samsung 56" 87W DLP. Your idea about a dual output test is intriguing. I will check it out. Yes, the soujnd continues but the picture freezes. However it doesn't happen on the TV with video tape or dvd playback.

I've also experienced the 622 "freezing". No sound though. I perform a re-boot by pressing the power button until I see the receiver cycle off.

So far I only see this on the San Diego CBSHD LiL, usually on Friday nights (don't know if this is significant, but this is what I see. And, yes, I watch a lot of CBS shows). This also has happened when watching a show that I have recorded (CBSHD also). However yesterday (Superbowl Sunday) it happened twice before the game and three times after the game.

One other item that may or may not be of any importance is the CC (closed captioning) is always used.

... rab

Rbergman: I don't follow you on the closed caption comment. Could you clarify?

I have Samsung coming out Wednesday to check out the TV. Dish went through some tests with me on the phone and changed the satellite number for 110 from 21 to 20. So I am waiting to see what effect this has.

Rbergman: I don't follow you on the closed caption comment. Could you clarify?

I have Samsung coming out Wednesday to check out the TV. Dish went through some tests with me on the phone and changed the satellite number for 110 from 21 to 20. So I am waiting to see what effect this has.
I threw in the captioning comment in case this could possibly have any effect on the unit reacting to the decoding of this infomation and causing the freeze. I don't see how it could, but as an industrial programmer and controls integrator, I've seen some pretty weird stuff affect equipment so nothing is out of the question. I wanted to give all the information I have at hand.

... rab

Here is an update: Today it froze during Universal Hd's "Northern Exposure" and I did the following. Turned off the 622 but the picture remained on the TV. Pulled out the HDMI cable and the picture went away. So is the 622 somehow still outputting a signal even though it is turned off?Had a conversation with DISh previously and they gave me new transponder numbers to try. Since this now appears to be a 622 problem and not a TV problem I will call them again. However, it seems strange that while picture freezes the sound continues. Hope to have more after Samsung visits tomorrow and another talk with Dish tech service. All input welcome.

Is there a way for you to hook component cables from your 622 to the tv instead of HDMI, just to see if it will still freeze up?

Yes, I will try that next. This happens at least once a day and sometimes 2 or 3 times. It hapened twice during the Super Bowl. During the freeze the 622 can be turned off but the image remains even when I turn the 622 back on. Will try this and let you know after the next incident.

FOLLOWUP POST:

I tried the component vs the HDMI connections and it doesn't matter; freezes either way. I spoke to Dish and because of some other errors I have noticed ( file error message instead of recording a program, recording the selected program but assigning it another name such as 10 o'clock news,) Dish will be replacing this unit with a new 622. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)