622 - HD channels on TV2 ??

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Will the SD TV hooked up to TV2 be able to view the HD channels ?? (Of course, I understand that if the answer is yes, then they will be in SD 480i )

And can the SD TV hooked up to TV2 be able to view the HD recordings in the DVR event list ?

I am asking because there seems that there might occasionally be some unique programming on the HD channels (most likely, sporting events on HD-NET).

PS If the answer is yes, then what does it do with the aspect ratio ?

Will the SD TV hooked up to TV2 be able to view the HD channels ?? (Of course, I understand that if the answer is yes, then they will be in SD 480i )
Yes. You are correct in your assumption too. SD only.

And can the SD TV hooked up to TV2 be able to view the HD recordings in the DVR event list ?

Yes. In SD of course.

If the answer is yes, then what does it do with the aspect ratio ?

You have two choices: 1)Letterbox & 2)Zoom so you see the 4x3 screen filled and the outside edges lost.

If your second TV is 16x9 the choice changes to 1)Window Boxed and 2)Pillar boxed. There is no anamorphic option to fill your screen without using the zoom on the TV and thereby losing resolution. TV1 out on the RF DOES have anamorphic so it can be done, but the geniuses in development never considered that anyone could possibly have 2 16x9 TVs in one household. :mad:

See ya
Tony

One has to suspect that E* must be thinking about a future HD receiver with two HD outputs.

The probable catalyst for this will be that some engineer at E* will upgrade his HD set, move his old HD set to the bedroom, and then realize that it would be nice if he could view the TV2 content in HD... ;)

It;s the TV that does this, not the 622. When you have the unit as letterboxed, the image sent is a 4x3 letterboxed image which a 16x9 TV reads as a window box. When the unit is sending a "full screen" 4x3 image, the TV reads a 4x3 full image which the TV puts up as a pillarbox.

See ya
Tony

One has to suspect that E* must be thinking about a future HD receiver with two HD outputs.

The probable catalyst for this will be that some engineer at E* will upgrade his HD set, move his old HD set to the bedroom, and then realize that it would be nice if he could view the TV2 content in HD... ;)

You can hook up two HDTV's to a 942 or 622 now. I have two HDTV's hooked up to a 942 which I run in single mode. The 942 and 622 can feed the TV1 HD signal to two HDTV's simultaneously using HDMI to one and component to the other.

You can hook up two HDTV's to a 942 or 622 now. I have two HDTV's hooked up to a 942 which I run in single mode. The 942 and 622 can feed the TV1 HD signal to two HDTV's simultaneously using HDMI to one and component to the other.

Not many ppl woud have the TVs close enough to do that tho. mostly they are in different rooms and xmitted thru some distribution feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts