622 HDMI and DD5.1

BearcatScott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Springboro, OH
I have my 622 connected to my Sony HDTV with HDMI and component cables and the optical digital audio to my av receiver. When I watch the HDMI output I only get stereo output through the digital optical audio to my av receiver. If I switch the same program to view through the component cables DD5.1 passes through the digital optical audio to my receiver. I have digital optical audio out from my tv also but it only passes stereo to my av receiver when watching through HDMI video. I am guessing that DD5.1 can only be passed through one output at a time, either HDMI if active or the digital optical out. Does anyone know what is going on here? I would sure like to watch the HDMI output and listen to DD5.1 at the same time. Thanks.

I "believe" (don't quote me on that) that it does not pass 5.1 down the HDMI cable. I am using optical so I cannot confirm this. Hopefully someone can chime in soon to give you an answer.

So if this is the case, it sounds like your receiver is defaulting to the audio from the HDMI cable. So there should be a setting to change this.

I agree it must be a receiver setting. First, just do away with the optical out from your tv. Does you no good. On some receivers, inputs are assignable to TV/DVD/etc. If you still have it's owners manual, check there. And BTW, Tribune Media program guide will not indicate 5.1, just stereo.

Last edited:
I found out a long time ago that I couldn't get a 5.1 signal when I used HDMI (for some odd reason). I think it has to do with the Dish receiver, and not your own AV receiver. I just got used to hooking up the optical cable from my Dish receiver to my AV receiver. I'm hoping that the 722 doesn't also do this (I plan on getting that receiver very soon).

Most likely it is the tv. I have a new Samsung tv and it will not pass 5.1 to a reciever other than for the tv sound (like if you use an antenna). Anything hooked up to the tv (dvd, dish) will not get 5.1 through the tv. It is not the hdmi cable. I have to hook up the dvd, dish, etc through optical to the reciever to get 5.1. So it is probably the tv. It is not a defect. It is just the way the tv's are built, which is stupid. I hope I was clear.

Most likely it is the tv. I have a new Samsung tv and it will not pass 5.1 to a reciever other than for the tv sound (like if you use an antenna). Anything hooked up to the tv (dvd, dish) will not get 5.1 through the tv. It is not the hdmi cable. I have to hook up the dvd, dish, etc through optical to the reciever to get 5.1. So it is probably the tv. It is not a defect. It is just the way the tv's are built, which is stupid. I hope I was clear.

I agree with this. I had a LG TV that I hooked up that way (HDMI to TV, optical out to receiver) and the 5.1 came through just fine. Now, hooked the same way on a Samsung TV, it comes through as dolby digital, just not 5.1

Some TV's just don't send through the 5.1 signal I guess.

I agree with this. I had a LG TV that I hooked up that way (HDMI to TV, optical out to receiver) and the 5.1 came through just fine. Now, hooked the same way on a Samsung TV, it comes through as dolby digital, just not 5.1

Some TV's just don't send through the 5.1 signal I guess.
M y 1 1/2 year old Sammy would pass dolby digital as you said. My newer Sammy plasma only passes stereo! So I wonder why they even mess with an optical out anymore.

I have a Sony 52XBR4. I believe the TV will only output DD5.1 it receives from it's ATSC OTA tuner. In order to get DD5.1 to your receiver, you need to run the audio straight to the receiver.

M y 1 1/2 year old Sammy would pass dolby digital as you said. My newer Sammy plasma only passes stereo! So I wonder why they even mess with an optical out anymore.

To get DD from the TV's ATSC and/or QAM tuners to the receiver?

I have the optical going straight to the a/v receiver from the 622. I only have the HDMI hooked to the tv from the 622. I also have component hooked to the tv. If I watch a program that is in DD5.1, like the Sopranos, through component on my tv the sound comes out of the optical on my a/v receiver in DD5.1. If I switch to watch the same program through HDMI on my tv, the sound comes out of the optical in stereo or DD2.0, I forget which, on my a/v receiver. It seems that the 622 "senses" which video output you are using and only passes DD5.1 through the optical if you are viewing through the component output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)