622 L4.01 To Spool on Thursday! (Not sure WHICH thursday though)

I had a message on mine that all DVR content was going to be deleted this morning, because of a corrupt hard drive. I had the wife hold down the power button and when it came up, everything was okay. But I don't think the update applied.
This is "normal" anymore, it would seem. The error message is inaccurate as the problem usually only applies to content on the "My Entertainment" partition. You can safely tell it "OK" and allow it to reboot and your normal recordings will still be there.

If anything, hopefully L4.xx will update the error message.

The mapdown would be great, my wife seems to always find the SD station when it's available in HD, but she is getting better at it.

I'm wanting the side-by-side picture and corrected sound. The Dolby Digital 5.1 just drive me crazy because its all over the place. The HD is great but the sound really puts you there in the movie or story. I didn't get the update last night either.

Isn't it crazy that it has come to this in our lives. Waiting patiently for an update that will probably end up dissappointing us. Oh, and by the way we will be dissapointed. I know this because we are never happy. I am probably worse than you guys. It is our personality. I work with people that get annoyed when I bring up anything about HD. They could care less. They are happy with what they have. Why can't we be. I am telling you right now they could come up with 5 new HD channels and I would be mad because they didn't come up with 6.

I think what we all need is some therapy from Dr Melfi from the Sopranos.

Meanwhile, please hurry with the update :)

Any idea if the OTA subchannel EPG info might be coming back with this release? This and the issue with my Austin Fox station video/sound drop-out on the 622 every 5 seconds is what i'm dying for. The rest sounds cool, but not having watchable Fox and having to set daily manual timers for PBS HD is killing me.

Also, if my 622s were going to get 4.01 today, what would prevent the download? recording a program? watching a recorded program? simply having the 622 'on'? guess i want to avoid getting skipped. or will the download kill whatever happens to be going on with the 622 at the time it plans to start downloading?

Last edited:
Isn't it crazy that it has come to this in our lives. Waiting patiently for an update that will probably end up dissappointing us. Oh, and by the way we will be dissapointed. I know this because we are never happy. I am probably worse than you guys. It is our personality. I work with people that get annoyed when I bring up anything about HD. They could care less. They are happy with what they have. Why can't we be. I am telling you right now they could come up with 5 new HD channels and I would be mad because they didn't come up with 6.

You aren't kiddin! Aren't we sad?

Give me new, better, more, more, more! :)

Amen! Most people I know at work and family could care less about HD. Everytime I talk about HD, they look at me like I'm from another planet.

Some people want MTVHD, RSN HD, and more locals HD so E* will never please everybody.

I want the HD Mapdown.

So many times my wife is watching the SD channel instead of the HD channel. (I hate when she does that!)
Not to stray too far off topic by damn at least I am not alone in that. My wife has no clue when it comes to that, the OTA HD locals, and when not to use stretch or zoom. Maybe the next update will say "DO NOT STRETCH OR ZOOM". Anyhow, no update here as of yet.

Jay

Any idea if the OTA subchannel EPG info might be coming back with this release?
That guide data is made available, or removed, regardless of any software version. Remember, people got the sub-channel guide data without an update. The (speculated) reason is has been pulled is probably due to limitations of other receivers, not the 622.
Also, if my 622s were going to get 4.01 today, what would prevent the download? recording a program? watching a recorded program? simply having the 622 'on'? guess i want to avoid getting skipped.
I'm confident your life will go on and function fairly normally if your receiver doesn't get updated immediately ! Do you have recordings scheduled (normally) when you go to bed ?? If not, make sure TV1 and TV2 are turned off and if your receiver is scheduled to get it, it will.

I've thought the same thing often recently. Dish HD customers are just a little obsessive. But why fight it? We don't hurt anyone. :)

I got the update but haven't checked out its features/repurcussions...but it's good to see the HD mapdown coming to the 622. It was a pleasant surprise when the update rolled onto my 211 a while back.

One thing, and this has happened before a couple of times--is it normal/common when an update hits a box for it to issue an error alert that the 'hard drive is corrupt and your recordings may need to be erased'? This has happened on two different 622s at different times in my household, each obviously following a software update...and each time, the recordings were still intact after the reboot. I figure this may be a false alert, a way of covering one's behind by Dish, so that IN CASE something goes awry, it was 'your box had a problem' rather than 'our update crashed your machine and erased your recordings'.

I got the update but haven't checked out its features/repurcussions...but it's good to see the HD mapdown coming to the 622. It was a pleasant surprise when the update rolled onto my 211 a while back.

One thing, and this has happened before a couple of times--is it normal when an updates hits a box for it to error alert that the hard drive is corrupt and your recordings may need to be erased? This has happened on two different 622s at different times in my household, each obviously following a software update...and each time, the recordings were still intact after the reboot. I figure this may be a false alert, a way of covering one's behind by Dish, so that IN CASE something goes awry, it was 'your box had a problem' rather than 'our update crashed your machine and erased your recordings'.

Take a look at Scott's post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=840718&postcount=96

So you're the first one to get it, nobody else has reported getting it.

Take a look at Scott's post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=840718&postcount=96

So you're the first one to get it, nobody else has reported getting it.

Thanks. Sorry I missed that in the thread. Maybe I didn't get the update...hadn't had time to check it as I was up and out the door for work. My wife called from the bedroom that the 622 had an error and eyeballed it quickly and just had her proceed w/ the reboot. She checked and we had all our recordings and I was gone.

Hope we do get the update tonight, if we didn't last night.

Possable delay in release of software (could be as late as next wednesday) not 100% sure, due to error that the rec may be rejecting the software and causing hard drive errors

maybe the Tech i spoke to is saying the glitch may have held things up, i hope not i want my side by side

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)