622 Launching Feb. 1st - same price as 942

Stargazer said:
The 942 had HD out on TV2? Why was this not implemented on the 622? Was this too costly or what? BIG DOWNER.
The 942 doesn't have HD output on TV2. You can watch HD content on TV2, but it is downconverted to SD. The 942 has 3 HD tuners, 1 HD output (TV1), and 1 SD output (TV2).

Legacy equipment

I plan on purchasing a 622 instead of leasing it. I have an SW64 switch with the legacy LNB. Will I be able to use this for my 501/508 and 622. I have a dish 500 for 110/119 and a dish 300 for 129.

Thanks

Stargazer is again stuck in the tuner/output terminology swamp.

Tuners and outputs are NOT related - ESPECIALLY wth dual-tuner DVRs.

A (modern) satellite tuner can grab ANY stream coming from the sky.

A non-HD receiver is programmed to NOT look at HD streams.

E* HD DVRs will output ANY of the available content (SD, HD, OTA - although maybe not "live") on EITHER output.

The TV2 output is SD, so HD content is auto-downrezzed.

Last edited:
For the 622 there is only one HD output, and one SD output (only composite--no s-video :( ) according to the picture

Last edited:
katellite said:
For the 622 there is only one HD output, and one SD output (only composite--no s-video :( ) according to the picture

Not correct, well at least mis-leading. There are two HD outputs, HDMI and componet video. Both are for use on TV1 only. You cannot watch different programming on these outputs at the same time.

The VIP622 does have an S-video output on the back for TV1, which includes the S-video, composite, component and HDMI outputs. TV2 has composite out- but there is also the coax out, which feeds tuner1 & tuner2 signals out on different channels. See this picture and this picture.

Last edited:
The PQ on svideo is/can be significantly better than composite. Wonder why they omitted svideo on the TV2 output? Wouldn't they have had to have the original RGB signals to build the composite--svideo would have been next to nothing to output.

Jud in Dallas
6000 feeding one HD and 3 SD TV's

Do any of you guys have an actual release date of the 622? I called Dish and spoke to tech support and he did not know exactly but in the middle Feb early March is what he said.

I think all we really know is that on 2/1/06 they'll "officially" start taking orders. Presumably the CSRs will be trained by then, and a lot of decisions will have been made by then.

As for the TV2 out- yes, I'd like to see the S-video also. But I plan to use a transmitter rig I have that connects to the composite & RCA audio outputs. Maybe I'll break down and run a coax from the main TV/VIP622 to the basement TV- but I'm not sure I'd gain anything over the transmitter rig, except maybe better PQ.

Then again, maybe I could run the coax (stereo agile etc) from the VIP622 to the basement TV, which could watch whatever is displayed on TV1 or TV2. Then I could use the composite out on TV2 for the transmitter to the guest room TV. This assumes all outputs active simultaneously.

Anyone see a flaw in this, feeding 3 TVs? Granted, there would only be 2 channels or programs at a time feeding the 3 TVs.

I see on the Echostar Tech support site for the VIP 622 that being able to receive OTA
signals now requires that you be SUBSCRIBED to Dish. In the past with my 6000 the only requirement was that you had to receive a Sat signal fror the OTA tuner to work. Does this make my 6000 a doorstop if I cancel all Dish programming after I have paid well over $1000 for the box plus the 8VSp and QPSd modules.

VIP622 vs 942

I bought on 12/22/05 4 942 DVRs and had them intalled by dish's recommended retailer. Do I have any recourse to get them traded in for 4 VIP622 DVRs or am I screwed?

You can trade one in for a 622 but you have to pay $250 and you do not own it, you lease it. Otherwise sell sell sell on ebay. They are going for over $300-400 still so sell while you can.

relder1101 said:
I bought on 12/22/05 4 942 DVRs and had them intalled by dish's recommended retailer. Do I have any recourse to get them traded in for 4 VIP622 DVRs or am I screwed?

Dish-bot bump.

Where are you guys?

Don't you have an o-fish-al E* approved answer for this poor fellow? After all, I cried a river over you.

Seriously, try writing ceo@dishnetwork.com and giving the details. Maybe someone there will have pity on you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)