622 Photos and Install Tips!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
dparker said:
I see they still do not have native resolution pass-thru. That seems like an easy feature to implement. Of course so does analog tuning.

This will be really important once 1080p sets become more popular. I'll want to see 1080i at 1080i and 720p at 720p. Setting the receiver to 1080i makes me lose the beauty of progressive scan on channels like ESPN, and setting it to 720p makes me lose the beauty of all of the vertical resolution of the other channels.

Every D* receiver I've seen has a native-passthru option. I'd love for E* to get it.

Shamus46:
Interesting avatar. Still married? ;)

- - - - - -

It seems to me that if you had an HDMI to DVI cable, with a DVI to HDMI adapter, then you would lose the audio portion.

If Dish does not pass audio on the HDMI, then how can they claim it's HDMI? Don't the standards require it? A "silent" HDMI would be a major drawback for me. I don't want to buy another receiver/amp that accepts 3 digital audio inputs. Mine has 2 & I'm using them both. I'd like to hold off on a new receiver until there are more out there with multiple HDMI throughputs (& at a lower cost), and the new HDMI revisions for this summer are out and incorporated. Future proof as much as possible- I'd better get at least 10-15 years out of a receiver.

nuts4scuba said:
I don't believe Dish passes audio over HDMI.

Yes it does, and on the 622 it passes FULL Dolby Digital (HDMI 2.0 Spec) while the 942 only passed 2 channel stereo.

I was hoping my 622 would be here today, but it only shipped from the warehouse to the dealer today so it looks like I will have one on Tuesday. :(

Scott Greczkowski said:
I was hoping my 622 would be here today, but it only shipped from the warehouse to the dealer today so it looks like I will have one on Tuesday. :(

The plot thickens Scott! You suggested you weren't getting your 622 from Claude a day or two ago. So, I was guessing that you found a way to get your unit shipped directly from the warehouse. Now your making me wonder what you did, and what strings you pulled and who you pulled them with.... :devil:

ggw2000 said:
Don't know anything about the 942 as I have a 921 in which the unit fan runs all the time (real bummer). Does the 622 power down completely (as in NO noise)? Thanks, Gerry
This unit is really quiet and goes completely dead when turned off, you can't even tell it's running when it's running.

grecni said:
According to the DishNetwork tech portal (http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiver/622.shtml), here's what the 622 comes with. Though it will be nice to have this confirmed when someone actually gets a reciever.

Cables and Accessories
Standalone List

(1) 5.3 IR Remote (YES)
(1) 6.3 IR/UHF Pro Remote (YES)
(1) UHF Antenna (YES)
Appropriate HD cable for install (WRONG, You get NONE)
(1) HDTV Digital Audio/Video to DVI Cable (8 ft) (NONE)
(1) DVI to HDTV Digital Audio/Video Adapter (NONE)
(1) Y/Pb/Pr 3-Wire Cable (red, blue, green) (6 ft) (NONE)

(1) S-Video Cable (8 ft) (YES)
(1) RCA 3-Wire Cable (red, white, yellow) (8 ft) (YES)
(1) RJ-11 Telephone Cable (25 ft) (YES)
(1) 15 db Attenuator (YES)
(8) 1.5V AAA Battery(YES)

In addition, if you use the TV2 output for other TV's in your home, It WILL NOT work unless you have a phone cable hooked up or pay the access fee. Found out the hard way after hours of $%&*!@% around. I had a 921 that didn't act this way but Scott informs me that this is common with all dual tuners.

Last edited:
ptech said:
In addition, if you use the TV2 output for other TV's in your home, It WILL NOT work unless you have a phone cable hooked up or pay the access fee. Found out the hard way after hours of $%&*!@% around. I had a 921 that didn't act this way but Scott informs me that this is common with all dual tuners.

If you are saying that the TV2 output is disabled if you do not have a phone connect to your 622 then this is a NEW (and very stupid) feature that the 942 does not do.

Paradox-SJ said:
If you are saying that the TV2 output is disabled if you do not have a phone connect to your 622 then this is a NEW (and very stupid) feature that the 942 does not do.
All you get on the TV2 output is "Congratulations, you have a dish 500" screen and requires the phone test to proceed or it stays disabled. Or you can pay the access fee and leave the phone disconnected.

hdaddikt said:
Is not a separator inculded for a dual tuner/one cable hook-up ?
Yes it is included but the unit stays disabled without the phone line.

Now something I'm past but if someone else gets a 622, connect a phone line and completely setup your system and unplug the phone line. see what happens to TV2.

navychop said:
... How many people still can't get their stations in digital form, anyway? I'll bet most just don't realize the digital signals are there.
More than you would think. City people forget that around half the population still lives outside of those concrete jungles.

Home Distribution Question

Install of 622 is scheduled for this Saturday. TV1 will be HDMI to my primary HD TV (living room), then I was hoping to connect TV2 (bedroom) via the modulated coax output to a SD TV. I have 2 other rooms in the house that have previously been wired for cable. Will these rooms also be able to receive the modulated signals of TV1 and TV2 on the assigned UHF channels?

Some of the runs may have been disconnected when my previous installer switched me from cable over to e* back in 99'. If this is possible, is this something that I could expect the installer to help me with this weekend?

SimpleSimon said:
More than you would think. City people forget that around half the population still lives outside of those concrete jungles.
And it was those people that really gave satellite it's start.

ptech said:
Yes it is included but the unit stays disabled without the phone line.

Now something I'm past but if someone else gets a 622, connect a phone line and completely setup your system and unplug the phone line. see what happens to TV2.

Now, that's interesting. I was just wondering why the separator was not in the list of included equipment. :)

Can Modulated Dish Signal and Cable Signal Coexist Down One Line?

Maybe I've misunderstood the manual, but I can't find a way to get the modulated 622 output, which I've set to cable channel 80, and my cable feed to coexist on the same line.

I have a coax line running from the 622's modulated output to my cable system's distribution point. I can disconnect the cable feed and attach the modulated Dish signal to that distribution point, and it works fine on channel 80. However, I'm trying to figure out a way to run both my cable system's feed AND the Dish modulated signal throughout my distribution system, or at least to just one TV, and haven't figured it out yet.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Dish tech support suggested using two diplexors, and a separate modulator at each TV. That's not the solution I was hoping for.

Shamus46 said:
Will somebody please post what cables come with the 622?:confused:

I received in the box:
1 S-Video Cable
1 A/V Cable (composite & Audio-L, Audio-R)
1 RG-59

The Dishnetwork Installer Provided:
1 Component Cable

Not included/provided:
HDMI Cable
HDMI/DVI Converter
DVI Cable

Just curious, when my install is done in a few weeks what equipment should the installer bring with him. I need to upgrade to the Dish 1000 and I suppose I need new switches. I have the original switches, SW64(Ithink) and know that these need to be upgraded also. What switches should I expect them to bring? I want to make sure they have everything and try not to delay my install because of their mistake.

My pre-install setup:
Dish 500 for 110/119 with a DP Quad
Dish 500 for 148 with a DP Dual (I have local must carries on 148)

My install required:
remove Dish 500
Dish 1000 (for 110/119/129) (use existing quad and add DP Dual)
Dish 500 for 148 (no change to this)
DPP 44
vip622 (sent by UPS prior to install)

The installer didn't show up with the DPP 44 and Dish 1000.
The 622 was delivered by UPS (with no component or HMDI cables) prior to the install date.

His boss showed up with a D1000 to get the 129 HD channels working, and temporarily disconnected the 148 until the DPP44 showed up.

I had to call for another appointnnent to have another tech come out with a DPP44, which came out this morning. ( I will go home at lunch to see how the install went.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)