622 & Psip

OKCrew

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Does the 622 receive/provide PSIP data like the 600/911/921/942? With this change to locking out the OTA tuner without HD package purchase and guide data not provided unless locals purchased, I'm not sure if the 622 decodes the PSIP data. I have good luck here in Tulsa with the PSIP data on all my locals (including Fox and WB) except for PBS.

Will a 621 with an HD subscription but not locals include any guide data (E* provided or PSIP)?

OKCrew said:
Does the 622 receive/provide PSIP data like the 600/911/921/942? With this change to locking out the OTA tuner without HD package purchase and guide data not provided unless locals purchased, I'm not sure if the 622 decodes the PSIP data. I have good luck here in Tulsa with the PSIP data on all my locals (including Fox and WB) except for PBS.

Will a 621 with an HD subscription but not locals include any guide data (E* provided or PSIP)?

I'm in Portland and my guide data shows for everything except PBS and the "i" channel here in town.

Sam

You need to subscribe to your satellite locals AND have either one of the HD packs or pay an HD enabling fee (I think it's $6) to receive the guide data for your OTA HD locals on the 622. The 622 does not get it's guide data from the PSIP info stream from the broadcasters and neither does the 6000/811/921/942. The 811 and maybe the 6000 do not require a subscription to your satellite locals. Once you are eligible to receive the guide data, there are some glitches that sometimes prohibit the 622 from getting the guide data displayed for certain local channels.

Last edited:
The 811 is the only E* receiver that does not require a LIL subscription to get OTA guide data. It still gets its data from the Tribune info used in the LIL guide, not from PSIP. I have no idea why E* hasn't disabled this feature on this one receiver. The 921 had guide data w/o subscription for one software release (L215, I believe), but it went away VERY quickly, showing clearly that E* can make software revisions fast if it suits their interests!

Brad

DVDDAD said:
The 622 does not get it's guide data from the PSIP info stream from the broadcasters and neither does the 6000/811/921/942.

That is correct. The only time that the DISH receivers look at the PSIP data is when you do a channel scan and they use it to idenfity the station and get its mapping information.

Bradtothebone said:
The 921 had guide data w/o subscription for one software release (L215, I believe), but it went away VERY quickly, showing clearly that E* can make software revisions fast if it suits their interests!

Brad

I still get guide data on my 921 even without a subscription. I don't on my 942 and 622.

Bradtothebone said:
The 811 is the only E* receiver that does not require a LIL subscription to get OTA guide data. It still gets its data from the Tribune info used in the LIL guide, not from PSIP. I have no idea why E* hasn't disabled this feature on this one receiver. The 921 had guide data w/o subscription for one software release (L215, I believe), but it went away VERY quickly, showing clearly that E* can make software revisions fast if it suits their interests!

Brad

So the Guide data for my WBUPN & Fox networks is coming from E*? Only the digitals on these have data. The analogs say "Local Programming". I assumed it came from PSIP and I was hoping this data would continue to be available with the 622.

Last edited:
Yep, we pay taxes so the FCC can mandate strict rules of procedure for PSIP data coming from the stations and Dish comes along and delibertly disables it so they can make more money selling you sd LiLs that you don't even need because you get the stations OTA.

Just another of those warm fuzzy perks you get for spending $700 on a receiver less than a year ago. Goes along nicely with making you buy a another new receiver just to get the new HD that they promised you when you bought the old one.

Now who's going to be the first DD to jump in and explain to me the error of my ways :D

waltinvt said:
Yep, we pay taxes so the FCC can mandate strict rules of procedure for PSIP data coming from the stations and Dish comes along and delibertly disables it so they can make more money selling you sd LiLs that you don't even need because you get the stations OTA.

Just another of those warm fuzzy perks you get for spending $700 on a receiver less than a year ago. Goes along nicely with making you buy a another new receiver just to get the new HD that they promised you when you bought the old one.

Now who's going to be the first DD to jump in and explain to me the error of my ways :D
Sure does make a guy sick!!:mad:

waltinvt said:

But Walt, how do you really feel? :D

Paying for guide data is just one more reason for buying an HDTV with a built in ATSC tuner. You don't need that Dish tuner, and you get your PSIP data and signal directly.

navychop said:
Paying for guide data is just one more reason for buying an HDTV with a built in ATSC tuner. You don't need that Dish tuner, and you get your PSIP data and signal directly.

One of Dish's HD DVR marketing points was the capability of recording OTA digital channels however they failed to point out that the only way you could do it was with manual timers if you didn't subscribe to analog LiLs, which of course you'd have little or no use for if you get the same channels in digital OTA.

Some think it's worth that extra monthly charge to get the EPG info for OTA but then there are those that had to give up their analog LiLs if they wanted to keep their analog DNS, so they don't even get the option.

waltinvt said:
One of Dish's HD DVR marketing points was the capability of recording OTA digital channels however they failed to point out that the only way you could do it was with manual timers if you didn't subscribe to analog LiLs, which of course you'd have little or no use for if you get the same channels in digital OTA.

Some think it's worth that extra monthly charge to get the EPG info for OTA but then there are those that had to give up their analog LiLs if they wanted to keep their analog DNS, so they don't even get the option.

A really big reason that some of dishes practices suck!! Yea Yea i know they are a company trying to make money but this kind of crap sucks!!:mad:

I believe that they should make the PSIP an option for those that might want it and not have a really demanding need for a 9 day EPG.
Those of us with 921's now don't even have the 9 day guide even when paying for the locals to get it.

Grandude said:
I believe that they should make the PSIP an option for those that might want it and not have a really demanding need for a 9 day EPG.
Those of us with 921's now don't even have the 9 day guide even when paying for the locals to get it.

See yet again what kind of crap is this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts