622 Question Regarding Cable Input

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
For those of you who have Dish Network, but who also maintain a basic subscription to your cable company, can you feed that cable into your 622 box? If so, which channels will it pick up? Just the locals? Will it get guide information?

For those of you who have Dish Network, but who also maintain a basic subscription to your cable company, can you feed that cable into your 622 box? If so, which channels will it pick up? Just the locals? Will it get guide information?

The CATV input on a E* box is passthrough only. You must turn your box off to get those channels, which will rely on your tv's tuner. The channel range is not limited in any way.

The CATV input on a E* box is passthrough only. You must turn your box off to get those channels, which will rely on your tv's tuner. The channel range is not limited in any way.

No, I mean if you fed the coax cable from your cable outlet in the wall straight into the Dish 622 box and you had the basic cable subscription (channels 2-74), would the box be able to detect those channels and guide information for them when you did a channel search on the 622 box?

IceToad understood exactly what you meant and is 100% right when he said it's "passthrough only". The 622 doesn't know or care that you have cable TV service connected to it.

Heh, you deleted your post pretty quick.... It is in fact a "Cable In" connection.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 136
IceToad understood exactly what you meant and is 100% right when he said it's "passthrough only". The 622 doesn't know or care that you have cable TV service connected to it.
Are you sure about that? My impression was that the ViP622 doesn't pass through under any circumstances.

From the 622 owner's manual:
If you want to receive channels from an off-air antenna or cable in addition to your satellite receiver programming, connect the off-air antenna/cable into your TV distribution equipment.
  • The 8VSB TV Antenna/Cable In on your receiver's back panel can be used to receive and view programming on the nearby TV from an off-air antenna or cable service.

Heh, you deleted your post pretty quick.... It is in fact a "Cable In" connection.
I had to go back and check my facts. If you would do the same, you'll find that IceToad was wrong. The key is the -8VSB- under the legend. While some may exist, I've never seen a cable company that broadcast in 8VSB.

If you can find documentation that supports that the ViP622 (or ViP211 or ViP222) pass through, then we'll have something to discuss. As it is, I'm sticking with my assertion that what the OP asked isn't possible.

It would be nice if they could include a QAM tuner on that input. Like the OP, I too have my basic sub from the cable, which for a small fee also gives me local HD. Would be really sweet if I could feed that to my DVR and map it down and record it.

The key is the -8VSB- under the legend.
I don't know enough about that to comment. I thought "8VSB" was related to ATSC and the label was kinda wrong. It should read "TV Antenna (8VSB)/Cable In". I could be 100% wrong though...
If you can find documentation that supports that the ViP622 (or ViP211 or ViP222) pass through, then we'll have something to discuss. As it is, I'm sticking with my assertion that what the OP asked isn't possible.
Heh, I don't have cable service anymore but you know what I'd have already done ?? I'd have hooked it up and tried it !! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)