625 with only one tuner and one cable

scorey99

Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
Hello --

I have a customer with 4 receivers in their house, a 211, two 311s and one 625. I'm running everything off of a DP34 switch to each room. The customer only wants the 625 to act as a single tuner DVR, without the dual tuner ability (she doesn't want another tuner cable run on the outside of her house). Also, obviously, the DP34 is using all of it's outputs and she doesn't want to pay for a DP44 upgrade so that I can use a splitter for both inputs on the 625.

My question is.. I left the 625 with only one connection to the Tuner 1 input and it was working fine when I left the house. Now, she's calling with a satellite error about every 12 hours. It seems that the receiver is looking for satellite signal on BOTH inputs and gets pissy when it only finds one. I have it running in Single mode, hoping that will solve the problem, but it doesn't seem to work.

The 'solution' I've found so far is as follows:

When it gets 'stuck' it is on the Acquiring Satellite Signal screen for a few minutes and the satellite number is replaced by an 'X' (instead of 110,119,etc.). I go into the Point Dish screen, and by default, the 625 is looking at Tuner 2 for signal. I manually change it to Tuner 1, and Bam, the signal comes in, and the TV works. Problem is, every few hours, it decides it can't find a signal again.

Do I have to convince her to go to a DP44 or run another cable to the receiver for this to work? All she wants is single DVR functionality. It seems like a waste to have to run the other cable. I know that she's missing out on the ability to tape two shows at once, but she has repeatedly told me that she doesn't care.

My next guess is to switch the satellite input cable to Input 2 to see if that works.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Scott

I was employed as an installer and this is literally my last job. I mostly do custom home theater install now and leave the satellite work to others. This one receiver has been bugging me though. Any help would be appreciated.

The short answer is that the 625 needs 2 sat. feeds.

If the customer wanted a single tuner DVR she should have gotten a 501, 508, or 510

The 625 will not work right with only 1 feed

As far as I know, when I accidentally cut one of the lines to my 625 (see: weed whacker) I couldn't even get it to function 'for a few hours at a time' let alone a few minutes. Mine knew it had no signal, and it got quite upset, and wouldn't budge until I fixed the cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)