64 bits processor vs 32 bits processor

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Ok, I was told to look into buying a 64 bits processor PC. But at this point I want to know if 32 bits application will have problem running in a 64 bits machine. Any feed back will be appreciated?

It is completely compatible. Pretty much every new processor from both Intel and AMD in the last 2 years is 64bit compatible. The 32bit ones from intel are the old core relabled as Pentium Dual Core. The Pentium D, the AMD 64 and Core 2 are all 64bit. The 64 bit stuff is an extention of the 32bit, more instructions, but old programs just do not use the new instructions.

The only real difference right on on the 64bits vs 32 for most people is 64 will let you run 64bit XP/Vista. These OSes will let you go over 3GB in memory. In truth right now I do not see a real advantage, since I think machines purchased now will need an upgrade anywas before 64bit applications really take off (i.e. 3 years from now).

The big advantage of x64 right now is that you will be getting a newer model processor. And for other improvements (not the 64bits) they tend to run a lot faster.

Windows x64 uses a WOW64 to run 32-bit apps in their own 32-bit Windows environment. I think we're still at the point where it doesn't make much sense for the average e-mailing, web-surfing user to go 64-bit, but in the Server world, it is great.

Except when Microsoft's 64-bit version of their software isn't 100% 64-bit, but that's another story... :rolleyes:

I have a 64bit desktop at work, with 4g memory and a ton of disk. one of the things I do is run vms on it for my SaaS app, and sandboxes for testing upgrades. as stated above 32bit apps 'just work', and 64bit stuff works as well. the base os on my desktop is xp64 pro.

How often do you buy or upgrade your PC ? If you do this every 2 years or so, I'd hold off on XP64. The biggest problem is your add-on hardware, i.e. printers, network cards, and so on. Many do not, and will never, have 64-bit drivers available. Windows has mechanisms in place that allows 32-bit software but hardware drivers are another story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)