68,781 and dropping fast :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
www.skyreport.com

According to the latest numbers released from Access Control Center - the Motorola group responsible for tracking C-Band information - the big dish service amassed five gross authorizations for the month of January. ACC said net de-authorizations totaled 22,081 leaving just 68,781 subscribers to the aging service. In related news, there will be a global discussion today concerning the preservation of C-Band spectrum for use by the satellite sector. Hosted by GVF, Inter-American Telecommunication Commission and the World Bank - the discussion is aimed at heightening awareness of the issue with government administrations.

What a difference a month makes :(

That 25% of the subs in 1 month.....

91,433 and dropping.....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=85836

http://www.mbc-thebridge.com/archives/view/?publication_id=1&release_id=94#Story4

C-BAND -- According to Motorola's Access Control Center, the media group responsible for tracking C-Band subscriber traffic, the big-dish service now has 91,433 active customers. Late last year, C-band subscriber numbers dipped below 100,000 for the first time since the technology's inception decades ago.

Last edited:
I hope these good C-Band dishes are not wasted.

For those dropping out of the premium service, they can still utilize their C-Band dishes to receive Free To Air programming on c & KU-Band. If they have a voltage controlled LNBs, all the need is a new MPEG2 DVB receiver, V-Box II and a 22KHz switch.

Or they can still utilize their old receiver to move the motor and switch polarity. But they will need a BUD slave kit and new DVB receiver to vew the FTA channels.

It is scavenger hunt time! The majority of C-Band dishes are no longer in use it seems. Let's see how much gear everybody can round up for free by knocking on doors :) I am anxiously awaiting spring to install my C-Band system that I got for free from my wife's friend who moved into a house with the big "eyesore" in the backyard. I've offered to take away that Eye-Sore at no charge.

I would like to see SOMEONE make a KU FTA / 4DTV Combo box and see more subsription programming on KU band.

People are tired of Dish Network and DirecTV and would be willing to pay MORE for Alacarte without needing a 10 foot dish.

It is scavenger hunt time! The majority of C-Band dishes are no longer in use it seems. Let's see how much gear everybody can round up for free by knocking on doors :) I am anxiously awaiting spring to install my C-Band system that I got for free from my wife's friend who moved into a house with the big "eyesore" in the backyard. I've offered to take away that Eye-Sore at no charge.

That's how I got mine. And I too am waiting for spring to finish setting it up. :D

I have a C-band dish and love it. No I do not subscribe since my LOS is iffy but I like it for the free channels and the feeds :D

I think most of these people had a VCII subcription to one of the recent channels that left analog (such as Sci-Fi) and are not willing to put up the money for a 4dtv receiver (and possibly C/ku set-up) to keep there programming. It's sad, truely sad!

Al

Just thought I would share this with you guys I sent an email to ESPN about receiving ESPN & ESPN 2 through c band, below is the letter and their responce I quess I was just hoping for a better answer

I don't know how may people this efects but it has to be thousands of people who are unable to receive ESPN now that you dropped your analog satellite I know that analog it self is going away or has gone away but digital is alive and well. I have been a subscriber for ESPN for many years and now, myself along with the thousands of other people are very upset that we are unable to receive ESPN any more PLEASE reconsider doing what ever it takes to make it possible for us C Band owners.

Thanks for writing.

ESPN and ESPN2 services will no longer be available through C-band effective December 31 due to certain technical changes. For continued access to ESPN networks please contact your local cable operator or satellite provider for subscription service information.

Sincerely,
ESPN Viewer Response Team

Face it, several factors are working together to kill all consumer access to master feeds of commercial channels on any band. I'm surprised there's still 68,781 people left that haven't got the hint.

I know Versus (Comcast) has said they want to be a national competitor with ESPN, I only hope they can, and are able to secure the best contracts of sports away from ESPN. That would be a good thing.

Al

that's how i've got all of mine but one. i've spent hours going door-door i've picked up 4 so far . some people say no no im going to make a garden pot hanger out of mine. mostly your old folks will just say take it. but i love collecting them sure saves u from buying more parts if a actuator goes out or feedhorn. or some sort . i hope c-band comes back up and takes all the customs minds off the pizza's :)

In a strange round-about way, the dropping numbers of C-Band users may actually be good for us hobbiests. If the programmers see the C-Band users dropping in droves, they'll be more likely to leave more of their C-Band backhaul or mainstream feeds un-encrypted because they'll figure that nobody is watching anyways. So, if anybody finds any good feeds, do not go blabbing to the whole world that you've found them, just keep it quiet, sit back and enjoy the show. We don't need them to know that anybody is actually watching :)

I think everyone needs to remember that the numbers put out by ACC are totally inaccurate. That conclusion was stated in the 12th Annual FCC report, Paragraph 80.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-11A1.pdf

Also, John from NPS said today (on another forum) that this number is wrong since NPS has more subscribers than that. I searched the internet for the raw data or breakout of the subscribers that ACC reports. I couldn't find anything. Nor could I find their methodology for their analysis. To find the actual numbers you would need to know how many VCII subscribers, 4DTV subscribers, combination of the two, headend subscribers and are the subscribers to the headend counted into the satellite subscriber numbers since that's where the signal originates. Additionally to get accurate numbers, the ACC needs to at least ask the programming subscription centers (which they obviously are not). I'm not sure who is footing the bill for ACC to come up with these numbers and why these numbers are continually wrong. I hope this isn't a government program of some kind. Of course, that may explain a lot. Maybe someone out there is a satellite big-wig who can find the answers. Have fun.

Why wouldn't Motorola take the $$ and license dcII to another manufacturer? Are CableCo's and DBS companies pressuring them to kill dcII

It just dawned on me, we have almost as many SatelliteGuys members as there are C Band subscribers.

It was proven on another forum that those numbers have been false, I think a few members put together some of the reports and if added together we would be in the negitives by now.

Also on the other forum NPS stated that they have more subs than what the report cliams to be the total, so I am not sure what the point of these wrong numbers are but they are not accurate.

It was proven on another forum that those numbers have been false, I think a few members put together some of the reports and if added together we would be in the negitives by now.

Also on the other forum NPS stated that they have more subs than what the report cliams to be the total, so I am not sure what the point of these wrong numbers are but they are not accurate.

Well, I am not sure that counting all NPS numbers can be seen as C Band - as a number may be Ku Band only.

Just because they authorize for one service and "can" pick it up on another if they have the right equipment, that doesn't mean they do.

For example, I pay for HBO and STZ, yet my Dish never moves from 127W Transponder 118, 120, 122 and 124. I have no idea where the other HBO or Starz Channels are - even though I could view them in theory.

I have to assume this some how comes into play and a number of NPS subs are Ku subs - not C Band Subs.

Like has already been mentioned, the ACC numbers have been obviously wrong for some time. I wonder though, since Comcast owns the ACC now if there isn't more spin than ever going into those numbers.

I've let my subscriptions drop before when I'm out of town, but then restart when I get back. I wonder how that situation works into their numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if they only counted me as a new authorization the first time I got programming, but have counted my deauthorization every time my programming has lapsed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts