6ft dish antenna for internet?

Kamaiyamaiya

Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
I have a Perfect 10, 6ft dish antenna. It has an electrical box on the back marked Skyvision. We've had this system since mid 1980's. No rust, great shape. It has a receiver for TV and a motor so that you can point it to different satellites (from inside the house). I would go to DirecTV if I could get this big dish to bring me the internet.

I live in a rural area, internet by dial up (24K) or go with Direcway (latency kills MMORPG).

I was thinking, SURELY I can get internet with this monster.
I have surfed and surfed to no avail.

Does anyone know if a modem is available for this? Or if I can get an installer to hook it up so I can get internet with it? Broadband satellite would be great!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kamaiyamaiya

Well that just sounds like a C-BAND dish...

Yeah it is a nice big dish, but any satellite internet will give you lotsa latency.. (Unless you pay $$$$$$$ per month)

Really dont matter on the size of the dish for latency, that is prettymuch how long it takes to send the signal up to the satellite, then back down, and through the internet "cloud".

I do know that there WERE some c-band internet solutions, but I can not remember how, where , or why.. sorry :/

You could probably find some obscure way of converting it over, but time you got done paying for it, you could spend the 600.00 on DiRECWAY or StarBand and get the dish intended for the service.

FWIW

PS ... 22K miles (approx) between earth and satellites, 88K round trip to send a request and have it returned to your web browser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)