6ft or 8ft

Status
Please reply by conversation.

macgod79

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Nc
Ok guys I have a choice here.a old channelmaster 10 footer which the lady said was around 30 years old.I could also get a 8ft at saduon for 289 but the shipping is killer around 200 beans but the 6 footer doesn't have high shipping.my question becomes am I gonna miss a lot with the six footer.the 10 footer I'm gonna have to ride 8 hours there and back to get here is pics of the 10 footer

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110221_163845.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110221_163845.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 265
  • ForumRunner_20110221_163933.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110221_163933.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 259
If the 10 footer's free and not warped I would go with that. I read all the time that channel master makes a great dish.

A 10 footer is going to pick up some hard to get channels, DVB-S2 was spotty on my 8 1/2 foot dish, but came in strong on a 10 footer.

The dish sadoun sells is made out of steel, anything steel is going to rust over time.

That is a real early channel master, never seen one with the feed arms like that. Look for a data plate inscribed on the dish, might be able to guess its exact date.

That dish also comes apart, so if it is warped, you might be able to make it un-warped.

That dish is real dirty, but some pressure washing and scrubbing will make it look like new.

ALSO, another thing to check, if the holes in the mesh are large enough, it won't get Ku or be a real bad performer on Ku.

They want a hundred bucks for it and id have to drive to check on condition.thinking maybe start with the six or eight from sadoun. Is there gonna be a big difference between the six and eight? Would I be able to find parts for that 10 footer.if any one is from Va some help would be good. Lol

I'm an old timer and seen those before. It a mid 80's style. I believe it is fiberglass that dish. If the parabolic is good you can clean it up and paint it and have a nice dish for c band. Ku may not play all that well depending on the screening used. But these days toss up a good 90cm offset and it will out perform it on ku.

They want a hundred bucks for it and id have to drive to check on condition.thinking maybe start with the six or eight from sadoun. Is there gonna be a big difference between the six and eight? Would I be able to find parts for that 10 footer.if any one is from Va some help would be good. Lol

They are trying to make money off you. They see you have interest in it, and want to make money off of it.

Tell them, they can either pay $50+ to have the dish removed, and the pole dug or cut, or give it to you and get rid of the "eyesore" in their yard.

EDIT: I noticed the conduit behind the dish, see if you can get the wires too. That way you won't have to spend money on wires.

Well they had the ad on craigslist. If it was free I could see it but it may be no good. I can't tell by the photos and some other guy is interested in it too so.I really wanted it just they don't know a thing about it. I really wanted to use my azbox premium plus to the fullest. Will the 6 pull in most signals or is it a waste of money.

Go for the 10 foot dish and hold out for free with the wiring. I picked up one of those about 15 years ago with a friend of mine. It comes apart in quarters and is a two man job to take down and take apart. You'll want to take it apart because it'll become airborne if you don't AND it'll get you a ticket for too wide of a load. We learned that lesson the hard way. The dish holds its shape well but it's still a good idea to take a few minutes and look for obvious abnormalities. It's fiberglass if I remember correctly. I gave it to the guy I picked it up with and he had it in his yard for a few years before parting with it.

Jim

Would I be able to find parts for that dish.I have a dmx741 lnbf I bought. Will it work with it?

Last question guys, lol. Will I be able to get any of the nbc hd on 105 or the cw on 103 I think.I know the cabs is out of the question cause I see it is 9/10 signal but there listed as 5/6 on the cband chart.just trying to weigh some options.if I can get most of the stuff on the 6 I might just try that and try to add a 10 footer later cause I just don't know the condition of that dish and they seem to want a 100 bucks and it may be junk.Then I know my wife would kill me.lol

I have a 6 and wish I could do an 8. My guess is that most, but not all, with a 6 would say the same.

no contest

Why don't you search the forum for threads dealing with the 8' and 10' Channelmaster molded dishes?
One or two guys have restored those beauties by repainting them (when they looked trashed) and brought 'em back to like-new condition.
Do an Advanced Search on "channel master" by "McGuyver", and you'll find a lot of help.
His is the 8' model (notice how the bent LNB arms mount further out toward the edge of the dish).

I think ACradio has a 10' Channel Master, so search for his threads, too.
Pretty sure he commented on what he thought of the dish (he's got some 8'ers, too)

Unless my memory is failing me, I'd take some help, and go get the CM & pole.
Then, after a power wash for the dish, and some rust-inhibiting paint for the mount, you'll be set for the next 20 years! ;)

I'd skip the six foot if possible. I started with a six and later upgraded to an 8 footer. For S2 stuff you'll notice a difference....Blind

Me Too I have a 6 foot POS and I feel like running over it with my jeep when trying to pull in S2 Stuff.:mad:

Got a free 8 footer from placing a CL wanted AD just waiting till its warmer outside to go get it.:)

Ok I just got the six for now. The 10 footer had some bad looking panels, missing bolts.it looked as if someone had tried to take it down before and gave up.my question is I have all my pieces on the way what size hole and how much cement do I need. Also can I use a regular level to plum the pole?

i agree, go for the 10 footer...

if you have alot of wind in your area, you you might wanna find a mesh dish. it gets very windy where i live... thats why i went with a mesh dish...

mt 10 foot BUD was free, just had to drive 2 hours to get it, and haul it away :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts