4DTV battery replacement.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
2mhvazt.jpg

What you are looking at is perhaps the most redneck 4DTV battery replacement.

I thought the battery just sat in the two prongs, held in by a dab of solder.

Well come to find out, the battery had the prongs on it originally.

Then come to find out, you CAN'T heat lithium batteries.

So like an idiot, I ordered just a standard 1/2AA and one without leads like I should of.

The when I found out I could not heat it, I had to put wires on it somehow, so I ductape them on there tightly and used a zip tie to secure them on.

I then soldered the wires to the prong and one solder terminal, and took some silicone to secure it into place.

I took a voltmeter and had 4.04 volts going to the solder tab, and the prong, so I knew I was good to go.

I also made sure the VC2 cage could clear it.

2mhvazt.jpg
So like an idiot, I ordered just a standard 1/2AA and one without leads like I should of.
I hope you plan on putting a cover on that thing! :eek:

This idiot bought the lithium cell that fits into a AA battery holder and soldered the holder wires in! ;)

Did you receive the front panel I sent you??? :confused:

2mhvazt.jpg

What you are looking at is perhaps the most redneck 4DTV battery replacement.

I thought the battery just sat in the two prongs, held in by a dab of solder.

Well come to find out, the battery had the prongs on it originally.

Then come to find out, you CAN'T heat lithium batteries.

The when I found out I could not heat it, I had to put wires on it somehow, so I ductape them on there tightly and used a zip tie to secure them on.

I then soldered the wires to the prong and one solder terminal, and took some silicone to secure it into place.

I took a voltmeter and had 4.04 volts going to the solder tab, and the prong, so I knew I was good to go.

I also made sure the VC2 cage could clear it.

LOL WOW!!!!!

As long as it works :)

I've soldiered to lithium batteries before. Ruff up the surfaces then solider, never had a problem.

I've soldiered to lithium batteries before. Ruff up the surfaces then solider, never had a problem.

Me too never had a problem either but I don't mess around and take all day.

I have read instructions for replacing the battery, just wondering if you had the correct battery, I think you can get them with leads on them, couldn't you just solder the new wires to the old ones, then just cut out the old batter? This way you would not have to unsolder the wires from the board and take the chance of messing up the board.
Terry

Old Battery Tabs

Old battery tabs are " Welded " to battery they cannot be removed until battery is out of reciever. You can buy new batteries with either wire leads or tabs pre-welded to it. But those leads or tabs don't just line up an plug into right spot on motherboard you need something with flexibility of attachment. You have to attach either wires or other attachment method to connect/bridge to motherboard holes (those holes are small) from new battery.

A length of wire soldered to battery lead/tab gives you some flexibility in attachment point option on motherboard end such as old tabs removed from old battery and soldered to your new wires attached to new battery, or another homemade wire end of some type. There is a fair bit of advance preparation but not much actual time doing.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=62148&d=1298852197

7ninty's Albums

And you have to maintain constant power to motherboard battery area, by either (1) putting new battery in parallel briefly, but this has potential to damage or explode battery, or (2) by leaving receiver plugged and totally removing old battery first, but this has usual dangers of electricution of your "self" or other short circuiting danger to receiver.

But the Duct Tape, tie strap, silicone, hot glue, wire, etc method appears to work, and may last remainder of these receivers usability as well !!!

Last edited:
It says on the side "Do not heat above 212f" Did not wanna take any chances, I've seen lithium's explode, not a pretty sight.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)