7 1/2 ft Winegard?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
I hate to impose on you guys again, but I'm still looking for a cband dish & wonder if anyone can identify this dish. The owner thinks that it's a Winegard. Also, what about the Ajak motor? Any thoughts on this setup? It also comes with a Toshiba TRX-2220 receiver. He had the system installed, new, about 11 years ago and appears to be in excellent shape. Not free, but I'm willing to make a reasonable offer.

Attachments

• Dish1.JPG
    Dish1.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Dish3.JPG
    Dish3.JPG
    560.5 KB · Views: 337
  • Dish2.JPG
    Dish2.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Dish4.JPG
    Dish4.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 333

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Looks pretty. Nice condition.
Hope it works out for ya.
'Cause I'd love to see some pictures under the hood of that Ajak motor! - :cool:

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
Anole, I'll know in a couple of days if I will get it & I'll be sure & post a picture of the motor with the cover off.

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
Thanks DK_Sat, I don't know enough about them to tell. I didn't check that close to see if it was labeled somewhere. Too, busy talking & not enough time inspecting. Other than the Birdview that got away, this one is definetly in the best condition of any I have found. Hopefully I'll know if it's mine by friday.

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
Ok, I don't know what's wrong with my technique, but I'm not having any luck getting this dish. I offered $100 for it (way more than I should have), because it was in excellent shape. It's still on craigslist, so I'm pretty sure he hasn't had a better offer, but he told me earlier when I first contacted him, that he wanted $150 obo for it. So Anole, there probably won't be pics from under the cover of the Ajak. Linuxman needs to put together a online seminar on how to snag the free dishes. I knock on a lot of doors and as soon as I mention the satellite dish in their yard, I see $$ sign reflections in their eyeballs. I ran a listing on Craigslist about a month ago asking for a 8 to 10 ft dish at a reasonable price & got calls from people wanting anywhere from $150 to $500 for them. I don't want to travel too far to get one (50 miles) max. I'll keep looking.

mikekohl

Prehistoric Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Montfort, Wisconsin
That antenna would not be a True Focus, as they only made SOLID antennas, usually painted in shades of Tan color.

No weather cover around with a name on it?? Or something with a Winegard plate? If it's 7-1/2 feet in diameter, the Winegard Quad Star had medium gray paint. But other manufacturers also made antennas in this size...so look further for other tell-tale identifiers.

The Ajak PATRIOT motor was the smallest one that they made. Not recommended for mesh antennas larger than 7-1/2 feet, especially in windy areas.
200 bucks would be an extremely fair price for this combination, considering what the current market price is for a new antenna of that size. And new antennas do not have HH mounts included!

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
Ok, I don't know what's wrong with my technique, but I'm not having any luck getting this dish. I offered $100 for it (way more than I should have), because it was in excellent shape. It's still on craigslist, so I'm pretty sure he hasn't had a better offer, but he told me earlier when I first contacted him, that he wanted $150 obo for it. So Anole, there probably won't be pics from under the cover of the Ajak. Linuxman needs to put together a online seminar on how to snag the free dishes. I knock on a lot of doors and as soon as I mention the satellite dish in their yard, I see $$ sign reflections in their eyeballs. I ran a listing on Craigslist about a month ago asking for a 8 to 10 ft dish at a reasonable price & got calls from people wanting anywhere from $150 to $500 for them. I don't want to travel too far to get one (50 miles) max. I'll keep looking.

Don't give up. They are out there. I have taken four down so far and never paid for one. In fact got a lot of good stuff with each one. My technique is very simple and direct, just say what you want. I say that I am a hobbiest and the dishes have limited use, and would they like to have their dish removed. Most folks here in Louisiana jump at the chance. In fact the Paraclipse that I just got the guy was practically dancing in his boots because his wife was giving him grief for not getting rid of it.

I'd change my approach with Craigslist though. I'd put an ad that said " I'll remove your old big dish FREE!" or something similar. Stops you from wasting time with folks with $$ in their eyes...

One other thing, figure out WHICH dish you want, and find THAT one. I have always wanted a Paraclipse, and the one I just got I passed it weekly for 25 years, I just never had any use for it until I got into FTA. If you want a Birdview, don't settle for something else unless you HAVE to. And don't pay unless you HAVE to. :)

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
well go back leave your name and number and tell him if he changes his mind to give you a call & thank him and leave if he wants to sell it and its been listed a while on craigs list in a week or two he will call and take your $100 :)

only offer more if its what you want and the dish you want .... there are lots of dishes out there for free , some might not have H 2 H mounts ..... there are quite a few dishes around here although i have noticed two dishes gone and i suspect scrappers :( i know several that i could get tomorrow for free and they are good dishes .... so don't give up

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
Thanks Gabshere & Stogie5150, for the encouragement. I'll keep on looking, and after reading Mike Kohl's comments, I might contact this guy one more time & see where I stand. Getting started in cband is my goal whether it's a 7 1/2 footer or a 10 footer.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Hey Glater,
You don't know how many times that I found a dish that some person wanting 300 dollars for their dish. I was excited and willing to pay because I just wanted to get that dish! I took several pictures of them and presented them here only to get: I wouldn't pay anything for it; they would have to pay me to remove it! I felt like my bubble of joy was broke, over and over again. And you know what, they were all Right! There are just too many out there that you can get for free! I think that even thought your find here is quite unique I think I would pass on it especially after hearing what Mike Kohl saidThe Ajak PATRIOT motor was the smallest one that they made. Not recommended for mesh antennas larger than 7-1/2 feet, especially in windy areas.”

So my advice to you is the same as what stogie5150 said, “Don't give up. They are out there. I have taken four down so far and never paid for one.” Try placing a ad on Craigs List for looking for one in your area. Here what I used it might help you.

WANTED: Satellite Dishes – BIG and OLD

I'm looking for all those Big and Old used satellite Dishes. Preferably Birdview or Paraclipse and Perfect 10’s in the 10' and 12' size. I will get rid of your big, old, ugly out of date eyesore for FREE! The removal of a satellite dish by a waste removal company usually runs around $350. To $400.00 dollars. Why Pay, when you can have it done for FREE!!

Call (Your Name) at 555/555-1234 – Your County Number (Name of your County)

Hope that helps you. Remember take lots of picture when going Dish Hunting and put them on the Thread Dish Hunting 2008 and we can advise you there!

TOM
:D

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
Thanks Thomas, I did email the guy about my $100 offer, but that was 2 days ago. I'm convinced now that he isn't going to email back, so the hunt continues. His ad is still on Craigslist, so I'm sure he's holding out for a better offer. I have located a couple of bigger dishes, but haven't stopped to ask about them yet. I also appreciate the recommendations for placing an ad on Craigslist. I might try that again, using your example.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
I'm mean!

I did email the guy about my $100 offer,...
... I'm sure he's holding out for a better offer.
I'd have a buddy call up and offer the guy only $65 for it!
Different phone number in case he has caller ID, and different voice and speech pattern. :D

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
Anole, that's a good idea. I'll have my son-in-law make the call. In fact, I'll have a couple of friends call him too. Thanks.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Tom's meaner'n me!

:D - :D - :D - :D

Yea, I'm with Tom!
Ask $300 to take it away! - :up

But the other good point is to not do more than one prank call a week.

melgarga

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 11, 2008
SE Texas
Here's some pics of a Winegard for reference. Cost me $65 after negotiating. He said $75 I said $50 etc etc.....lol It's prolly more than I should have, but I wanted it so WTH.
Jerry, guy. I feel for ya. I've seen several times where the $$$ light up it peeps eyes when you ask about their bigh dish. Sad thing is most that have had it from the beginning still think its worth what they paid for it. Snagging the 'big one' might depending on how far you are willing to drive, 'cause I'd bet Canyon Lake area is full of that type of thinking.
Like Mike said, that's prolly a fair price for that setup with all things working, but it is always nice to come across good a deal.
PS - How ya like that Ghetto Mover Ice?

Attachments

• WG1.jpg
    WG1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 293
  • WG2.jpg
    WG2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 245
  • WG3.jpg
    WG3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 269
  • WG4.jpg
    WG4.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 270
  • WG6.jpg
    WG6.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 265

glater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 14, 2005
melgarga, thanks. Your right, they are the original owners, purchased new, and have the manual for the receiver. I can't blame them for wanting more for it (they're just trying to get some of their money back). They don't seem to care if they sell it or not, so negotiating has not worked. I made a offer & maybe they are waiting for a better price before deciding, who knows? By the way, nice pics. Glad you got the one you wanted. I'm going to have my son-in-law contact them, just to see if they still have it. Sometimes people don't remove ads from Craigslist after they sell their item & this may be the case. Just unusual that they haven't replied to my emails, because they were so good about replying in the past.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
what makes certain people tick!

melgarga, thanks. Your right, they are the original owners, purchased new, and have the manual for the receiver. I can't blame them for wanting more for it (they're just trying to get some of their money back). They don't seem to care if they sell it or not, so negotiating has not worked. I made a offer & maybe they are waiting for a better price before deciding, who knows? By the way, nice pics. Glad you got the one you wanted. I'm going to have my son-in-law contact them, just to see if they still have it. Sometimes people don't remove ads from Craigslist after they sell their item & this may be the case. Just unusual that they haven't replied to my emails, because they were so good about replying in the past.
Glater,
I have had that happen to me before too. Sometimes you wonder what makes certain people tick! One day their nice to talk to you and the next they won't give you the time of day.

When you say: "They don't seem to care if they sell it or not" seems just the same to me. I think they wonder how much they could get for it and see what its worth and after they find out they want nothing to do with you, because they weren't going to sell anyway.Like I said it happen to me on a nice 12 footer and it wasn't even being used! Go Figure!! Anyway you have the right idea about the son in law calling them. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

TOM
:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)